So Bellew V Haye.... thoughts?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Boxing

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Mar 2017, 20:01

I think Haye will win.

Genius salesman. Doesn't care how much of a cunt he makes himself look he will do anything to hype his fights and make sure they sell. Underneath his pre-fight persona he's a nice guy.

Whatever the outcome Bellew should be rather grateful to Haye for raising his profile and bringing some big bucks in for a fight that isn't particularly important.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Mar 2017, 14:00

I was embarrassed for the pair of them earlier in the week.... it was like kindergarden stuff.

Pesonally I'd like to see Bellew beat Haye, if only because he's an Evertonian. But I think Haye must be favourite - he's quicker, punches bigger and is just a better boxer. The only thing that might be interesting is if Bellew hangs around for the second half of the fight, whether Haye really wants/needs this as much as Bellew. His heart may just begin to sag a bit.
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Mar 2017, 13:33

I should perhaps mention that I find ALL pre-fight shenanigans distasteful in the extreme with Haye's just about as bad as it can get, but there is no denying that it helps sell the fight and at the end of the day both fighters benefit.

Shame that it works. Overall the sport would be better off if it didn't.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 Mar 2017, 16:45

Haye will win early. I lost all respect for Haye after that pathetic travesty post the Klitschko fight
Davis and Mathews on the undercard looks tasty.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 Mar 2017, 17:42

TBH the best fight tonight is Thurman vs Garcia.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 07 Mar 2017, 12:33

Jumper K wrote:TBH the best fight tonight is Thurman vs Garcia.

Thurman boxed like a pro throughout the entire match, but especially in the last few rounds. His movement and footwork were impressive to watch. I scored it 116-112 Thurman. What's next for him? Fight the winner of Spence vs Brook?
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Mar 2017, 18:54

joels344 wrote:
Jumper K wrote:TBH the best fight tonight is Thurman vs Garcia.

Thurman boxed like a pro throughout the entire match, but especially in the last few rounds. His movement and footwork were impressive to watch. I scored it 116-112 Thurman. What's next for him? Fight the winner of Spence vs Brook?

That's the obvious and best step. I wouldn't rule out a rematch with Garcia.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 08 Mar 2017, 22:02

Apparently, Pacquiao vs. Khan has been called off. Which is unfortunate, because I really looking forward to that one.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 12 Mar 2017, 03:07

Lemieux vs. Stevens tonight. It's like the appetizer for GGG vs. Jacobs next weekend. Anyone plan on watching the match tonight? Could be entertaining considering both like landing heavy shots. If Stevens shows up to trade with Lemieux, he could last into the later rounds with Lemieux winning by TKO. If Stevens doesn't show up to exchange shots, then it'll be an early night for him. It all comes down to which Curtis Stevens we get. What's your prediction? I say Lemieux by TKO in 9.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 12 Mar 2017, 14:04

Lemieux provided us with the knockout of the year. I don't see that one being topped. I really hope Stevens will be okay after taking such a shot, because I honestly thought he was dead for a few moments when he wasn't moving at all. I've been saying this for years: Lemieux is an underrated Middleweight. He has great punching technique, hits like a train and cuts off the ring very well. I'm curious where his career goes from here.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Apr 2017, 17:03

Mayweather against Mcgregor, any views on here? One interesting statement I heard was, if Mcgregor makes it out of the 1st round, then it's embarrassing for boxing as a whole.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Apr 2017, 12:37

The Great Defector wrote:Mayweather against Mcgregor, any views on here? One interesting statement I heard was, if Mcgregor makes it out of the 1st round, then it's embarrassing for boxing as a whole.

I agree. Mayweather would dominate McGregor, but he should have no trouble knocking him out. McGregor has boxing skills. Not enough to be competitive with some as talented as Floyd, though.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Apr 2017, 12:43

joels344 wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Mayweather against Mcgregor, any views on here? One interesting statement I heard was, if Mcgregor makes it out of the 1st round, then it's embarrassing for boxing as a whole.

I agree. Mayweather would dominate McGregor, but he should have no trouble knocking him out. McGregor has boxing skills. Not enough to be competitive with some as talented as Floyd, though.

I think Mayweather is under pressure to fight attacking, rather than his usual defensive boring shite*. If he boxes defensively like he would against a proper boxer, then people will be thinking, I thought he was the best and he's worried about McGregor he has to box like that? At the end of the day he doesn't give a fuck about how people view his boxing as long as he gets paid.

*I fully understand that this is a skill, but to the blow in boxing fan like me, it's boring to watch.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Apr 2017, 12:56

Big heavyweight fight this weekend: Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley. Greatly looking forward to this match, because of how much respect I have for both fighters. Let's hear your thoughts on the match.

People are overrating the effects of age in this match. True, it will play some factor, in terms of timing, accuracy and maybe power. In that regard, Joshua has a major advantage and could very well catch him early with a powerful cross. I think Klitschko's biggest issue going into the ring is not age, but his ring inactivity. I mean, he hasn't fought since Tyson Fury, back in November of 2015. He also didn't look particularly impressive that night. But Fury is a far better boxer than people make him out to be.

I have Klitschko winning by UD. He has the experience, boxing pedigree and overall ring IQ to beat Joshua. Also, unlike Tyson Fury, Joshua is more of a down the middle fighter with limited movement, which will make him a target for Klitschko's jabs and crowding techniques. I will say that Joshua does have the power to land a one shot KO, but he must do this by R5. If this fight goes past R5, Wlad is taking over and will win the majority of the later rounds. Furthermore, landing cleanly and finding Klitschko is not an easy task even for the most skilled and seasoned boxer. This neutralizes some of Joshua's offensive onslaught. I'm not saying Wlad will dominate him, but could seem him winning 7 or 8 of the rounds.

Joshua does represent the future of the heavyweight division so his win would be better for boxing overall. I see this fight being a learning experience and steppingstone to potentially building great Heavyweight championship boxer.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Apr 2017, 13:04

joels344 wrote: crowding techniques.

This is why I'm a bit worried that it mightn't be the fight it's hyped up to be. I hope they picked a strong ref to stop that.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Apr 2017, 18:20

The Great Defector wrote:
joels344 wrote: crowding techniques.

This is why I'm a bit worried that it mightn't be the fight it's hyped up to be. I hope they picked a strong ref to stop that.

Let's hope so as well. That's one of my biggest issues with Klitschko as a boxer.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 29 Apr 2017, 07:46

Heart says AJ head says The Doc. This is going to be a lot closer than anyone first thought. Im going for head AJ to tag him in the 4th.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Apr 2017, 08:11

I think Joshua wins in 7. As alluded to above, the long rest (18 months) would be challenging for a 31 year old, let alone a boxer of 41. No matter how good you once were, age erodes your skills and that time away from the ring will exacerbate that decay. Klitshcko has enough savvy about him to spoil Joshua for six rounds or so, but that inactivity and dulling of reflexes will catch up with him.
Cocaine

joels344

Postby joels344 » 29 Apr 2017, 23:07

Proper and classical heavyweight boxing match. Both dropped each other and both came back even stronger. I had the fight 94-94 prior to the stoppage. Klitschko put on one of his finest performances but Joshua was better. Looking forward to seeing more from AJ. He could be Lennox Lewis quality.

Return to “Sporting Life”