Saving youtube videos

Computer issues and app recommendations
Spock!

Saving youtube videos

Postby Spock! » 23 Jun 2010, 20:01

I can't access youtube at work (school) as it is filtered out. Anyone able to recommend a way to capture and store clips so that I could show them in class? Thanks in advance.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Re: Saving youtube videos

Postby The Dríver » 24 Jun 2010, 06:01

which browser do you use? there are a few plugins out there that will allow you to save files locally. then you need a video player that plays flv files- there are a few free ones outh there...
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 24 Jun 2010, 17:04

I think cosmopod will do it for a mac.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 24 Jun 2010, 21:01

The Dríver wrote:which browser do you use? there are a few plugins out there that will allow you to save files locally. then you need a video player that plays flv files- there are a few free ones outh there...

Internet Explorer.

The Driver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Driver » 25 Jun 2010, 13:07

Download the free basic RealPlayer from here. It's a while since I installed it myself but if memory serves you need an e-mail address to register it (worth creating one on yahoo if you ask me, so you can use it for this and then leave it alone so they don't spam you). If you use your normal e-mail address make sure you untick all the options for e-mails (unless you really want them) and there's probably a browser toolbar in there somewhere which I doubt you'll want either.

Once installed, when you're watching a video, hover your mouse over it and you should get a little menu bar appear at the top offering you the chance to download.

This certainly used to work on YouTube - I don't use IE so I can't confirm whether or not it still does. Certainly still works on lots of other sites though.
He's an idiot savant. Without the savant.

Return to “OK Computer?”