RIP Floppy Discs

Computer issues and app recommendations
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

RIP Floppy Discs

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Apr 2010, 21:33

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8643844.stm

Sony has signalled what could be the final end of the venerable floppy disk.

The electronics giant has said it will stop selling the 30-year-old storage media in Japan from March 2011.

Earlier this year Sony stopped selling the disks in most international markets due to dwindling demand and competition from other storage formats.

Some of the greats...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

JQW

Re: RIP Floppy Discs

Postby JQW » 26 Apr 2010, 23:02

The only time I really needed them during the past 10 years or so was for installing the operating system on PCs. If you needed to install Windows 2000 or XP and needed to install extra device drivers for the disc controller, then the only way to install them was from a floppy disc or two. Other operating systems worked in the same way. Also many system firmware updates could only be done by booting off floppy.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 27 Apr 2010, 12:04

There's been several stories like this as manufacturers have, one by one, decided to stop producing floppies (or when shops such as PC World have stopped stocking them).

Like Paul, i rarely use them, in fact i can't remember the last time i did. My PC at work doesn't even have a floppy drive (although that might be more of a data security measure than anything).
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Apr 2010, 23:34

I think I last used one during my undergrad study...probably ten years ago. Maybe I've seen a backup done to floppy since then. Some of my work software still gives the option to 'copy to diskette,' and I still have a 3.5" drive in the office.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Jul 2010, 00:36

I'm moving offices this week and haven't found a single floppy disc in all my packing!

Return to “OK Computer?”