Processor Question

Computer issues and app recommendations
Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Processor Question

Postby Huw » 21 Feb 2015, 10:14

I'm currently looking to buy a new laptop.

I've narrowed my choice down to a laptop with a 1TB hardrive and between 6 to 8 GB memory, but what type of processor should I be looking at and what are the advantages/benefits?

Intel CORE i3 or i5?, Pentium or Celeron?

Help!

JQW

Re: Processor Question

Postby JQW » 22 Feb 2015, 11:52

Intel market their standard desktop and mobile processors as several distinct brands; i.e. in increasing order of power Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7. As Intel are always upgrading their processor line, the specifications change as processor power increases, so what's currently marketed as a Celeron may have more power than a Core i3 from a few years ago. All processor lines are now 64-bit.

The main differences between the processor models are the clock speed, number of cores and amount of on-board cache. Higher specification models will also have some additional features such as TurboBoost and HyperThreading which can also boost performance with some software. Low-end processors also tend to have graphics processing on the chip itself, whilst the higher specification ones are used with dedicated graphics hardware for increased performance.

A Celeron will be fine for standard home use. For gaming, video processing or 3D modelling you'll most likely need something faster.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Re: Processor Question

Postby Huw » 27 Feb 2015, 19:12

Thanks. I think I'm up to speed with this.

Return to “OK Computer?”