Site "locking people out"

Computer issues and app recommendations
Underwater
Now more than ever

Site "locking people out"

Postby Underwater » 18 Mar 2014, 23:12

I return from my submerged slumber to offer an advisory.

Our network has been refusing to access BCB for about a week. Naturally, I was called on regularly to service it, but no device in the house was able to access the site. Initially I chalked it up to DNS errors following the server move; after the third day I decided instead that it was something BT were aware of. Tonight I decided to take a closer look and, after an hour on the phone with BT where they insisted the site wasn't blacklisted or anything, I eventually found that rebooting the white OpenReach box fixed the issue.

Despite what Mr. Phone said, it was indeed a hardware issue.
Bear informs me that there are "six or seven people" who are having similar issues accessing the site; my advisory to anyone who is in contact with them would be, if they are on BT Infinity, to reboot both boxes they use to connect to the 'net; the Home Hub and the white OpenReach box typically located in close proximity to it.

I'm a little ashamed to think that I didn't try this sooner but in my defence, this has been the first time such a move has been warranted.

As you were...
Also, a tin teardrop

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Site "locking people out"

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Mar 2014, 13:47

You should put this in NDL too so people don't miss your helpful advice.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Re: Site "locking people out"

Postby Jude » 19 Mar 2014, 17:22

Or an Admin should rename it to include the fact that it's a BT-specific issue, and make it one of those announcement-type things that appear at the top of every forum. At least for a while.

Assuming people can get here to read it, of course... :?
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.