Which tablet?

Computer issues and app recommendations
BlueMeanie

Which tablet?

Postby BlueMeanie » 20 Oct 2013, 08:43

Is there a 7" tablet on the market that has both a SIM slot and a micro SD slot? It's driving me nuts trying to find one. I can't imagine why any tablet wouldn't have both. I'm impressed with the Google Nexus 7 but it has no expansion, so I looked at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 but it doesn't have a SIM slot! Why wouldn't you want mobile internet?

In the end I just though bollocks I'll get an iPad Mini, but that has about the least connectivity of any tablet on the market! To say I'm getting a little frustrated would be an understatement.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Which tablet?

Postby The Prof » 21 Oct 2013, 13:16

The ipad mini 3G should have some kind of SIM input.

packrat

Postby packrat » 21 Oct 2013, 14:48

Look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It is 8" rather than 7", but I found that to be a positive quite frankly. Still easily held in one hand and the screen size doesn't feel as pokey as the Nexus 7.

It is very responsive with smooth operation, has the expansion slot to accept up to 64Gb, and if bought from German Amazon rather than UK has the SIM slot included.

This comes with the stylus, and frankly that is truly a part of what a tablet should be! Once you have tried that out properly, you do not want to go back to a basic tablet.

Guess I am turning into a fanboi :lol:

Edit: Oh, and the purchase of a cheap OTG connector cable - plugs into the charging slot with a female usb socket on the other end - allows you to access further external storage as well.
the rat is back - more or less!

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Oct 2013, 15:19

The Prof wrote:The ipad mini 3G should have some kind of SIM input.

It does, but it has no expansion capability.

packrat wrote:Look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It is 8" rather than 7", but I found that to be a positive quite frankly. Still easily held in one hand and the screen size doesn't feel as pokey as the Nexus 7.

It is very responsive with smooth operation, has the expansion slot to accept up to 64Gb, and if bought from German Amazon rather than UK has the SIM slot included.

This comes with the stylus, and frankly that is truly a part of what a tablet should be! Once you have tried that out properly, you do not want to go back to a basic tablet.

It's a little over my price range to be honest. I think 7" is truly portable. It fits in your pocket, whereas 8" is getting a bit too large. I looked at a galaxy Note 8 at the weekend and it was very impressive, but seemed substantially larger than the Tab 3 7" (no SIM).

I bought a Tab 2 for the mrs last year and whilst I wouldn't be ecstatic about the screen quality, it does have a SIM and an expansion slot. The Tab 3 very annoyingly has no SIM!
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

packrat

Postby packrat » 21 Oct 2013, 15:50

Agreed, it isn't the cheapest tablet. I bought mine on Amazon UK, where it was only £50 more than the Nexus 7. But that is without sim slot. I guess the one from Germany with sim is probably not reduced.

Look into the Nexus and whether it is OTG compatible - I am pretty sure it is. If so, for an extra couple of quid you can expand the memory at will. The only problem with that, is that you cannot charge and use the extra memory at the same time.

That is an OTG cable

:cry: Just spent 10m researching this. Seems the Nexus 7 is not able to read external storage as I suggested. Apparently a bug in the present android release and/or the Samsung software. Although their tablets with a card slot can use otg no problem!

Sorry, back to square one.
the rat is back - more or less!

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 23 Oct 2013, 12:01

BlueMeanie wrote:The Tab 3 very annoyingly has no SIM!

Cos it's only the WiFi version on sale atm. 3G version to follow soon...

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/mobi ... 5200ZWAXSG
And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 10 Mar 2014, 16:10

Well it's been a long time coming, but I've plumped for the iPad Mini 16gb 3G.

Now, I have a vague memory of reading here that there's a BCB App. Did I dream this?

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 10 Mar 2014, 21:58

Tapatalk

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 10 Mar 2014, 22:01

The Prof wrote:Tapatalk

Isn't that for Windows?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 10 Mar 2014, 22:11

No I'm using it right now on my iPhone

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 10 Mar 2014, 22:24

I'll get to it then. Thanks.

Return to “OK Computer?”