Facebook

Computer issues and app recommendations
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Facebook

Postby The Dríver » 24 Jul 2013, 16:57

A couple of questions...

I work with IT a lot and it's rare that I can't work out how something is done, but a couple of things about Facebook are flummoxing me.

Firstly, when I log in the list of stuff on my feed often features things that were posted 12 hours ago. This is the stuff FB deems to be 'Top Stories'. Personally I couldn't give a kipper's dick for FB's opinion and would rather have stuff listed by 'Most Recent', and accordingly I change the view. This will stay as set for a day or so, before switching back to 'Top Stories' again of its own accord. I'm not deleting cookies on exit and I stay logged in. Is there a way to set it to 'Most Recent' and not have it change back?

Secondly, if I log into the FB site on my mobile (rather than using the FB app) there doesn't appear to be any way of changing this view. It seems to vary between the two views already referenced, presumably based on how it was when I left it on my PC. I accept that may be a rash assumption, but if it's correct, a solution to my first query will resolve the second.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Re: Facebook

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 24 Jul 2013, 19:18

I use lists to organize what I want to see in my feed
works fine!

"How do I use lists to organize my friends?
https://www.facebook.com/help/200538509990389

To help you get started, you have lists for:

Close Friends: You can add your best friends to this list to see more of them in your News Feed and get notified each time they post. You also have the option to turn these extra notifications off.
Acquaintances: This list is for friends you don’t need to stay in close touch with. People on your acquaintances list will rarely show up in your News Feed. You can also choose to exclude these people when you post something, by choosing Friends except Acquaintances in the audience selector.

Restricted: This list is for people you’ve added as a friend but just don’t want to share with, like your boss. When you add someone to your Restricted list, they will only be able to see your Public content or posts of yours that you tag them in.

Learn how to add friends to lists. People won’t get notified when you add them to these lists.

You can also create custom lists to organize friends as you like. You choose who goes into these lists and what (if any) privacy restrictions apply. Note that your friends won’t get notified when you add them to custom lists.
"
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 25 Jul 2013, 17:37

I can relate to both of your issues, and have yet to find a solution. Also like you, i'm not a moron when it comes to things like this, but granted i've not looked too hard.

Even more irritatingly, the iPhone app reverts back to 'Top Stories' EVERY time it's launched.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 25 Jul 2013, 17:47

Jude wrote:I can relate to both of your issues, and have yet to find a solution.

tried my suggestion above? :?
list works fine!

/ when you have created your list, you can later edit it, delete or add persons
what you have to do is to set a bookmark when
your list is in the feeed
that way you always start with what you wanna see
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 26 Jul 2013, 17:50

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Jude wrote:I can relate to both of your issues, and have yet to find a solution.

tried my suggestion above? :?
list works fine!

/ when you have created your list, you can later edit it, delete or add persons
what you have to do is to set a bookmark when
your list is in the feeed
that way you always start with what you wanna see
Yeah, but that's a bit of a dirty fudge. I want, quite simply, when i open Facebook, to see my news feed sorted in chronological order. Every time.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Jul 2013, 18:10

How I learned to stop worrying and love Facebook.
Mark Whathisface is probably an evil fuck who has taken data mining to a whole new level.
HOORAY!

I'm lucky that I signed up about a week before one of those minor changes happened. You'll quickly learn that a minor change on Facebook is a Big Hairy Deal to an amazing number of people.

I go with the flow. My only holdout is when "terms of agreement" want to "post on my behalf"
that is just TOO creepy for me. Seriously, a guy who died a year ago is still asking me to try out Zynga games and eat at the Outback. that just ain't right.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “OK Computer?”