Flash widget not working

Computer issues and app recommendations
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Flash widget not working

Postby The Dríver » 16 Nov 2012, 22:06

On my wife's website she has a link to Amazon which shows a carousel of recommended books. Except in Firefox on her laptop where it shows zip.

It works on my PC in FF, IE, Opera and Comodo browsers, and iot works on her PC in IE but not FF. I've checked in Add-ons and it says that the Shockwave Flash plug-in for Firefox is up to date. She can view YouTube videos fine.

Any suggestions?
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Re: Flash widget not working

Postby jude » 17 Nov 2012, 01:08

Check that she's using the most up-to-date version of Fx. If not, update.

I've not heard the word 'Shockwave' for a while. Having Shockwave Player installed isn't the same as having Flash Player installed. Install the most recent versions from:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/

Beyond this, i'd be happy to have a sniff around to see if i can see anything that might be causing issues. If you're happy to post the URL here (or PM it to me if preferred), i'll see if i can spot owt.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

JQW

Postby JQW » 17 Nov 2012, 02:09

Emptying Flash's cache may fix it. I forget how to do this, other than the fact that you need to visit one of Adobe's web pages to enable the Flash control panel thingy.

Flash under IE uses a different executable to all other browsers, due to flash using ActiveX. The Flash control panel in Windows thankfully displays both versions. Chrome, however, has its own Flash engine to complicate things even further.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 17 Nov 2012, 13:45

It might be as well to completely remove and re-install Flash, too. Didn't think of that last night.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 18 Nov 2012, 08:39

Well I had the up to date versions installed. Just seems odd that on my PC it works, and on her laptop it works in IE, just not FF. Flash on other pages works fine.

WIll try completely uninstalling and see what happens.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Return to “OK Computer?”