Can Macs get clogged up like PCs?

Computer issues and app recommendations
Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Can Macs get clogged up like PCs?

Postby Billybob Dylan » 02 Apr 2012, 02:48

We're all aware that PCs can accumulate all sorts of extraneous files and what have you causing them to run slowly. Can this happen to Macs? Specifically a Mac Mini?

Mine seems to take an age to do anything these days. Any click of the mouse causes the Colored Spinning Wheel of Death to appear. Sometimes it will go away after a few seconds, usually it's a minute or two. Once it kept going for half an hour so I restarted.

And this isn't limited to doing things online. Anyway, my iPad seems pretty quick when online so it isn't my broadband provider. Is it? They tell me everything's working as it should be.

So, anyone got any ideas?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: Can Macs get clogged up like PCs?

Postby The Prof » 02 Apr 2012, 10:16

To start with go to Apple menu > about this mac > more info > storage. See from there how much space you have on your hard drive. If it's near capacity consider moving some stuff off.

'Cocktail' here -> http://maintain.se/cocktail is a free utility that lets you fine-tune and tweak bits and bobs

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 02 Apr 2012, 14:16

Ta.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 02 Apr 2012, 18:54

Billybob Dylan wrote:We're all aware that PCs can accumulate all sorts of extraneous files and what have you causing them to run slowly. Can this happen to Macs? Specifically a Mac Mini?

So, anyone got any ideas?

a simple answer, no!
If you are referring to the old de-frag thingy you had to do, from time to time, then no.

check work memory, maybe you need more, depending on your mac's age
how old is it?
new programs needs more and so on
how much memory do you have installed, 2 or 4gb?
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

JQW

Postby JQW » 02 Apr 2012, 20:34

Persistent spinning beachballs (didn't they record a session for John Peel?) usually indicate some sort of hardware problem, typically a damaged hard drive.

With luck it may just be some kind of drive corruption, which you can usually fix by booting off an installation DVD and running Disk Utility. If not then the drive is on its way out and will need replacing.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

wilson

Postby wilson » 02 Apr 2012, 21:25

Disk Warrior has helped me out a number of times with recalcitrant Macs.

A one-trick pony, but it's a damned good trick.
Oh well, what the feck.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 15 Apr 2012, 15:41

My Mac mini has been slowing down, too, and I get the spinning wheel more than I used to. I have a lot of music in there but it says I still have 60 GB left. Dunno where it begins to strain due to too must stuff but it is still okay-ish. I have that MacKeeper to clean up bits and pieces but Jethro says its a rip off. It just may be, too, because I looked up how to speed up my Mac and there are ways to do it without buying a "cleaner" program. Just Google slow Mac and there are suggestions that even I might be able to follow. A problem with these online computer fixes is that I read step one then do step one, read step two then do step two and soon I need to turn off the computer and then I can't read the following steps and blow the process.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 15 Apr 2012, 16:14

Jimbo2 wrote:My Mac mini has been slowing down, too, and I get the spinning wheel more than I used to. I have a lot of music in there but it says I still have 60 GB left. Dunno where it begins to strain due to too must stuff but it is still okay-ish. I have that MacKeeper to clean up bits and pieces but Jethro says its a rip off. It just may be, too, because I looked up how to speed up my Mac and there are ways to do it without buying a "cleaner" program. Just Google slow Mac and there are suggestions that even I might be able to follow. A problem with these online computer fixes is that I read step one then do step one, read step two then do step two and soon I need to turn off the computer and then I can't read the following steps and blow the process.

how much memory do you got installed?
what was ok two years ago, not necessarily works today...
depending on what you do/work with

Je suis!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Apr 2012, 01:45

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote:My Mac mini has been slowing down, too, and I get the spinning wheel more than I used to. I have a lot of music in there but it says I still have 60 GB left. Dunno where it begins to strain due to too must stuff but it is still okay-ish. I have that MacKeeper to clean up bits and pieces but Jethro says its a rip off. It just may be, too, because I looked up how to speed up my Mac and there are ways to do it without buying a "cleaner" program. Just Google slow Mac and there are suggestions that even I might be able to follow. A problem with these online computer fixes is that I read step one then do step one, read step two then do step two and soon I need to turn off the computer and then I can't read the following steps and blow the process.

2 GB

If I re run OS X Snow Leopard will it help? Could it hurt?
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 16 Apr 2012, 09:18

Jimbo2 wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:

2 GB

If I re run OS X Snow Leopard will it help? Could it hurt?

from what I read, the solution to your prob is more memory
2GB is perhaps to little these days
not sure about the minis reg installing more memory, guess there is a limit there somewhere
ops, found this
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... tions.html

"How do you upgrade the RAM in the Intel Mac mini models? How much RAM of what type do they support?

Intel-based iMac models released prior to the "Early 2009" series use 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMMs and officially support a maximum of 2 GB of RAM, although third-parties have discovered that the "Core 2 Duo" powered models actually can support 4 GB of memory with dual 2 GB memory modules.

The "Early 2009" and "Late 2009" configurations -- released March 3, 2009 and October 20, 2009, respectively -- use 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMMs and officially support a maximum of 4 GB of memory. However, as first reported by MacminiColo and confirmed by site sponsor OWC the "Early 2009" models unofficially can use 8 GB of RAM after applying EFI Firmware Update 1.2 and the "Late 2009" models unofficially support 8 GB of RAM by default (as the EFI firmware already is updated).

These details are summarized below in this handy chart:

*Officially, these models only support 2 GB of memory, but third-parties have successfully installed 4 GB using dual 2 GB memory modules. However, please note that with 4 GB of RAM installed, not all memory in excess of 3 GB can be used by the system. This is the same limitation that impacts the "Late 2006" MacBook Pro models.

† Officially, this model supports 4 GB of RAM. As originally shipped, it both officially and unofficially supported 4 GB of RAM as speculated at the time due to an artifical EFI limitation rather than a true technical limitation. This speculation was accurate, and after applying EFI Firmware Update 1.2 it is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM.

§ Officially, this model supports 4 GB of RAM, but it is capable of supporting 8 GB.

Apple does not provide instructions for end users to upgrade the RAM in the Mac mini, and instead warns that "additional memory should be installed by an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider" and consequently, EveryMac.com cannot recommend that users upgrade their own memory. Given the small and densely packed nature of the Intel-based Mac mini models this is not the ideal system to upgrade yourself without previous experience upgrading the RAM in similar systems."

--------
re-installing Leopard could help, get a cleans system is always good

cheers
C

Je suis!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Apr 2012, 11:27

I don't know from modules but below is more detail about my computer. I can't find what year it was released.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.35f0
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 14

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 16 Apr 2012, 11:46

Jimbo2 wrote:I don't know from modules but below is more detail about my computer. I can't find what year it was released.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.35f0
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 14

well, not 100% sure,
but looks like you got an Intel Core 2 Duo
so you should be able to put in at least 2GB more, from what I can read of that chart.

Je suis!

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby brotherlouie » 16 Apr 2012, 12:23

Try looking at this website, Jimbo. You give it permission to scan your system and it tells you what upgrade you can install. I've used it and no-one's knocked on my door yet. ;) They will try and sell you the upgrade, but you can decline.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammem ... 16112209:s