virgin media hub problem..

Computer issues and app recommendations
frimley_greener

virgin media hub problem..

Postby frimley_greener » 24 Jan 2012, 08:41

had it installed yesterday.but how do i get the network wireless adaptor to flash "blue"?..all i get is an orange flicker...obviously i am connected as i am posting this thread..but not sure if getting the maximum out of it! any guidance appreciated:)
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Re: virgin media hub problem..

Postby atomic loonybin » 24 Jan 2012, 09:02

Frankly it doesn't matter.

The blue light means that you're getting top speed connection between the wireless dongle and the hub, and that the internet connection is also working at top speed.

Most of the time you get orange which means its working at an acceptable rate.

Mine tends to swap between blue and orange, but the ratio is something like 1 to 10 for the amount of time I'm on.

I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to be honest. I've run speed checks on both blue and orange and the difference is undetectable. Remember it's only a clue of how quickly the PC is connecting to the hub, not your internet connection which will never approach the speed that you're connected to the hub at.

In fact, the connection seems less prone to 'freezing' when it's orange; I get little periods sometimes for about a minute or so where nothing at all happens, there's no network activity, it freezes on trying to load a page; then just starts working again.

Nothing to worry about. It might be worth moving the dongle around to see if you can get a better connection.

frimley_greener

Re: virgin media hub problem..

Postby frimley_greener » 24 Jan 2012, 09:24

thanks for that! as i said,it does appear to be working well..so i will forget the orange light!
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

Return to “OK Computer?”