Absolute Bowie + Too Rex, Brighton - 23 December 2011

Who? What? When? Where? Gigs and more.
nigeyb

Absolute Bowie + Too Rex, Brighton - 23 December 2011

Postby nigeyb » 24 Dec 2011, 12:12

Absolute Bowie + Too Rex @ Komedia, Brighton - 23 December 2011

The description from the Komedia website:

Absolute Bowie return to Komedia performing all the classic Bowie songs from the Ziggy Stardust and The Thin White Duke eras.

Support from the country’s favourite T.Rex tribute Too Rex, playing all the classic Marc Bolan hits. Plus DJs playing 70s tunes.

Too Rex @ Komedia, Brighton - 23 Dec 2011 by Nige B, on Flickr

I must confess I'm a bit conflicted about tribute bands. I generally prefer to look forward and enjoy new music rather than wallow in nostalgia. That said, David Bowie and T.Rex soundtracked my youth. I bought all the T.Rex singles as they came out and loved them as a child. As I started to buy LPs I got more and more into Bowie. I was a confirmed Bowie freak as a teenager in an era when, in my world, you knew someone was alright if they were into Bowie, Roxy, Iggy, Bolan & The Velvets. It was a simpler time believe me. When I heard about a Bowie night in Soho I was there like a shot. This was a tiny club called Billys - in Meard Street, Soho - and was the birth of what eventually became known as the New Romantics. I'm poised to celebrate 50 years on planet Earth, it's also Xmas, so it all felt right to get along and, ahem, wallow in a bit of nostalgia and the upshot was...

...I had a great time. Dancing pretty much non stop. Too Rex are good (though not as good as T.Rex tribute rivals TRextasy) and played a short, crowd pleasing sets of my T.Rex faves. Hot Love predictably had the Komedia rocking.

Absolute Bowie @ Komedia, Brighton - 23 Dec 2011 by Nige B, on Flickr

Absolute Bowie played two sets. A Ziggy era set and an eighties era set (that included Rebel Rebel, through Young Americans, China Girl, "Heroes", Boys Keep Swinging, Let's Dance - and rather bizarrely Under Pressure (which I wonder if Bowie has ever played live)). I was very impressed. The bloke who does Bowie really does a good impersonation and the band were right on the money.

Absolute Bowie @ Komedia, Brighton - 23 Dec 2011 by Nige B, on Flickr

The crowd were a totally unpretentious bunch of (predominantly) 40 and 50 somethings who all seemed to have a wonderful time. I certainly did.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.