Qurb - bar El Santos, Lyttelton NZ

Who? What? When? Where? Gigs and more.
Arthur Crud

Qurb - bar El Santos, Lyttelton NZ

Postby Arthur Crud » 25 Feb 2011, 22:37

Hard to believe I was there just last Saturday night. The bar has since been destroyed in the earthquake.

Qurb are a combo comprising my nephew Damien and his childhood/ teenage/ early 20's music pals Ben (now a lecturer in electronic music at a Melbourne university) and Delaney (now an international touring and recording musician).

Some time in the 90's they recorded a bunch of originals and have added two 'new' ones in that time. They have played the set live twice - once 7 years ago and again last Saturday night.

Musical humour is what it's all about. They can all play very well and the set is really a lampooning of various music styles. Their new Kraftwerk-styled number is a joy to behold but really if you imagine a cross between the Bonzos and the Butthole Surfers you'll get the picture. Thanks for a great night lads.

never/ever

Re: Qurb - bar El Santos, Lyttelton NZ

Postby never/ever » 27 Feb 2011, 10:16

Were they the last act to perform before the quake hit?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 06 Mar 2011, 23:26

never/ever wrote:Were they the last act to perform before the quake hit?

Quite possibly - we crawled out of there at 3am Sunday and the quake hit Tuesday arvo. Good question but I'm not sure...

Matthewop

Postby Matthewop » 08 Mar 2011, 08:25

wow what a pity. i thought they would have more.. :(