Hushdrops album coming mid/late winter 2014

BCBers plug your own band, label, radio show, magazine, website here along with other stuff that might be interesting.
Charlie O.

Re: Hushdrops album coming mid/late winter 2014

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Sep 2014, 23:30

I'm listening now. I'm a little surprised that after all these years you haven't worked up a pat answer to everyone's favorite question: "What do you sound like?"

And I had to smile when you mentioned the kids on Alice Cooper's "School's Out" - you listened to that Old School track, right? :)

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Sep 2014, 03:10

Charlie O. wrote:I'm listening now. I'm a little surprised that after all these years you haven't worked up a pat answer to everyone's favorite question: "What do you sound like?"

Yeah, it's a bit humbling for me to listen to or read certain people like Paul McCartney who are just such "seasoned interview pros" (I suspect he was born that way, but...you know, he's SO good at it that Pink Floyd didn't bother to use any of his dialogue on DSOTM because it just seemed a little too pat/prepared/guarded), and then find myself in a situation where I'm maybe a little annoyed with the question being asked and ill-equipped to provide a "catchy" reply.

I mean, first of all, I really do suppose "we sound like the Hushdrops!" (a truthful if not-remotely-helpful answer), and for someone who has been playing the record on their show for several months to ask what we sound like, I guess I just didn't see that coming. Like...I dunno, YOU tell ME - that would be far more interesting. I'm nowhere near objective enough to be sufficiently flippant about it (you get someone talking about U2 on BCB and they'll come up with all sorts of succinct, pithy, funny shit, but...harder to apply to one's own work, I guess). Every time I've tried to address it, it's just too easy to lapse into sickeningly self-serious, over earnest cliche (anything to do with "____ crossed with ___", however accurate it might be, just seems depressingly trite). I'd better work this out, though - people are bound to keep asking, and I suppose it's better to have a stock answer than to sort of flail in the wind.

And I had to smile when you mentioned the kids on Alice Cooper's "School's Out" - you listened to that Old School track, right? :)

It may be my favorite thing on the box!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Sep 2014, 03:45

Bent Fabric wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:And I had to smile when you mentioned the kids on Alice Cooper's "School's Out" - you listened to that Old School track, right? :)

It may be my favorite thing on the box!

Listening to the record all these years, I always imagined a classroom full of kids, but it's, what, three of them? And all boys!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 25 Sep 2014, 02:31

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Oct 2014, 16:17

Charlie O. wrote:*(shouts request)* "I Hope You Get To Heaven"!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Oct 2014, 19:57

Charlie O. wrote:I'm listening now. I'm a little surprised that after all these years you haven't worked up a pat answer to everyone's favorite question: "What do you sound like?"

The Who plays Bread and Jimmy Webb by way of Physical Graffiti -- something like that? The first album was more sonically eclectic and thus harder to pin down, but this one has a more unified sound, and so you may finally have a chance to self-define!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Oct 2014, 03:20

Quacoan wrote:"The Who plays Bread"

It's succinct and accurate enough. Sold!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Oct 2014, 14:35

I'll take it...

http://www.popgeekheaven.com/music-discovery/bloody-red-baron-october-reviews

HUSHDROPS: Tomorrow

This power-pop trio has the kind of quirky melodic sense found in The Posies, The Quarter After, and the Hang-Ups but always sound like themselves, due in part to the kind of A/B harmonies championed by the dB’s. Well that’s a lot of reference but it’s all good, starting with the Kon-Tiki-ish title track. These guys have a huge sound and it’s sometimes difficult to believe it’s only a trio. “This Town’s” guitar winds out like Jorma Kaukonen or Clapton with fuzztone so thick you could wear as a robe. “Up Against It” is slippery and delirious. “Take A Little Pain” sounds like something Burt Bacharach might have written, while “Find Her” is a subline Duncan Maitland-ish stunner. “Take Your Places” pings, zips, whines and shoots off sparks. “You Never Put Me Out” is a cousin to anything off Pet Sounds with a guitar solo that slots into place like the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Oct 2014, 19:53

I like the reference to Jorma Kaukonen. Indeed -- that solo, with the guitar bending all over the place, is a really brave, "this guy's not afraid to play some guitar", eureka moment -- especially so early in the album. You took it to another level with that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Oct 2014, 20:11

Quacoan wrote:I like the reference to Jorma Kaukonen. Indeed -- that solo, with the guitar bending all over the place, is a really brave, "this guy's not afraid to play some guitar", eureka moment -- especially so early in the album. You took it to another level with that.

It really makes up for any dBs reference.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 28 Oct 2014, 23:19

The jewel of Side Two?

(and, statistically, a song that something like 2% of you own...)

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 13 Nov 2014, 04:29

Return to “My Way”