Ray's Photos

BCBers plug your own band, label, radio show, magazine, website here along with other stuff that might be interesting.
Rayge

Re: Ray's Photos

Postby Rayge » 03 Aug 2018, 15:24

Part Two
All from the 1990s, unless otherwise noted

London's Burning
Under the Westway, Paddington

Shine On

Poor Paw

Hawk at Home
Lyneal, Cheshire - on his way to Gay Meadow to watch the Mighty Shrews

Conundrum

Amber Waves

All Ears

Herring Gull
Chew Valley, Somerset

That's all for today
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Aug 2018, 18:14

Part One today features more fruits of the July tree.
And to start with, fish in a barrel time, the ever photogenic hollyhocks

Delicacy
Callistemon leaves

Many Marguerites

On Their Way
13 post-punk singles muster to be posted to Japan

Contractual Obligation
Aw, ain't he the cutest...

Shredding
...well, maybe not from a stick perspective

Green and Tranquil
Just what the psychotherapist ordered after that horror show

Last edited by Rayge on 10 Aug 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Aug 2018, 18:24

Part Two
is in the 1990s section of the print scan archive with the first four from the fields around Oldland Common

Mac the Latch

Cooing and Froing

Red Tractor, Golden Valley

Crow Lines

Her Salliness

The Big H
Severn Bridge

Evening by the River
The Severn at Bewdley, all persons strangers

Streak
A Gresley A4 Pacific (60009 Union of South Africa), where art meets engineering. A beautiful, awesome machine.
Another example still holds the world record for a steam locomotive of 126 mph. [/I was a pre-pubescent trainspotter,
now it can be told]. Chip and I were on holiday in Bewdley, near the Severn Valley Railway, and were out walking when
I heard a distant steam whistle, then saw a plume of smoke and water vapour appearing from the woods across the valley,
maybe a quarter mile away, and from the way the plume was laid back I could tell that the engine was going quite fast.
Then it came out of the woods into an open stretch, and I saw what it was (as a boy of 10 or so, I started going up to
the local suburban station, Harringay West, on my scooter to check out the trains out of King's Cross on the main line to
Newcastle and Edinburgh. Later on, I would be one of the guys on the platform, notebook in hand, but then it was all
about the buzz of the Streaks, as they were widely known, the streamlined A4s that hauled up and down the East Coast
Main line: I'm hazy about their identities, but I was often there with a coterie of mates, and we would hang out on
a bridge over the through tracks, looking and listening both ways for the long whistle and onrushing shape of an express
barreling through, and trying to work out, and take up position over, the point on the bridge directly over where the
engine would pass. The reward, a dopplered thunder, maybe a scream from the whistle, the huge thump of displaced air
that would make you sway, the rush and rumble of the carriages beneath your feet, a minor clap as the last one emerged,
then the rattle disappearing behind) (I bet you all forgot that was a parenthetical insertion, didn't you?), I astonished Chip
by mouthing the word 'Streak' and falling to my knees in astonishment and wonder, tears in my eyes. Not only was it the
first time I'd seen one in motion in more than 30 years, there was the unexpectedness of it all and the romantic nature of
the setting. It was only out of the woods, as it were, for a matter of a few seconds, and I didn't have time to get my camera
out of its bag, but later that week we went to Bridgnorth station (I think) and found it parked, so I took this one.

back tomorrow, I hope and trust, with more archive fun

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Aug 2018, 18:12

In Part One today, a very mixed bag from the Print archives, while Part Two takes comfort once again in and around the July garden

Ancestors
My dad and his dad in the back garden at Glenwood Road, about 1935, when grandad was around 40 and Dad 15. As even
full-grown my dad only just scraped 5 foot 6, yet both are looking downwards, I'm guessing this was taken by my nan or dad's
sister, Aunt Min, both of whom were not far over five feet. All the height was on my mother's side of the family.

End of Term
Didn't take this, was not even there, only have this because Tamara, in the bottom right, was the first person I fell in love with.
It was taken by Richard Gollin, summer of 1969.

Mock-up
Well this is at least of me. I suspect Richard took this too. Graduation Day at UKC, July 1969. I was there as Tamara's guest,
rather than picking up a degree in my own right (so I heard my name read out as someone in absentia): that's her academic
gown I'm wearing, and the programme for the event I'm toting. Sorry about the colour: it was the limit of what I could do with a
very faded and exceptionally pink print.

Bar Codes
There was a brief craze for ostrich meat in the 1990s, and a local farmer in Oldland Common invested, which
gave me something different to photograph for a bit.

What's Wrong with Classicism?
Nash Terraces, Regents Park, London 1990s (probably)

In the Belly of the Beast
Looking up from inside an electricity pylon. Oldland Common. 1990s

Spate
The Avon at Bath, 1990s

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Aug 2018, 18:13

Part Two
All early July this year

Jaws

Lily

Seedy
Seed heads of giant scabious

The Scottish flower

The Day Shift
Peak Hemerocallis

Noisy Neighbours

Another instalment tomorrow, Dog willing

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Aug 2018, 19:58

Part one is from July this year, and doesn't leave the premises. Part two, from the print scans archive, features by contrast pictures taken from anywhen between 1990 and 2005, and from a variety of locations. Moving on
Edgy

Trefoil and Zonals

It Ain't Half Hot, Dad

Showing Out
Dahlias and Diascia

Blow

Dance

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Aug 2018, 19:59

Part Two

Willesden Sunset
late 1980s, Willesden Green tube station

Mooring Mishap
Someone forgot the Thames was tidal to Teddington. Caught out by a low tide near Kew

Morning Mist
River Lea, Ware

Dolphins
Tudor carving in, I think, Shrewsbury

Scrolls
As above

Wedding Party
Sarah gets married: definitely in the 90s, around 1997. Swansea

Gull
Chew Valley Lake, Somerset

Maredonna and Child

More jolly japes tomorrow

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Aug 2018, 19:00

Three parts today (hoorah!), largely because I'm going to be away from the desktop for a couple of days, and fiddling with photobucket on my laptop is a pain (boo).
First off, July, and a trip to town for the farmer's market
Greening
Four weeks on and this field had ripened, was harvested, and is now just windblown wheatstraw

Chill

Taking a Long View
From George Hill in Crediton to North Dartmoor

OMG the Hipsters Are Here! Let's Move
Farmers Market, Crediton

I didn't get any forest fungi, and caught the bus back.
Three garden pics of red plants
Gladiolus

Pelargonium

Alga

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Aug 2018, 19:26

Part Two

Scanned prints from the 1990s (mostly)

Whatever the Weather
For most of the nineties, I would spend one or two nights a week in London, crashing on floors or spare beds with a wide selection of willing hosts, but around once a month I would get the train out to Ware, to see the Aged Parent. Whenever I did, and had my camera with me (I usually did) I would take a picture downriver from the bridge over the Lea, a few yards from the spot where my father died. It would usually be in the morning when I was on the way back in to the city to work, so I was shooting into the rising sun. Remarkably little, apart from the weather, changes in these photos. I have many of them

Ready for Anything
My parents get a seat by the firebuckets at a wedding reception on the Granger side of the family, as evidenced here by the presence of my paternal grandmother's adopted sister, Ivy Collins, on the right, with her lifelong partner, Kate Orchard, next to her. Don't know where I was, but presence of Dad means 1966 or earlier

Besties
Matt and Blue, Swansea, early 1990s

In the Magic Light of Evening, Beauty Unfurls
a detail of this...

things have taken a decidedly avian here, as it happens

Merging
A juvenile herring gull blending in to the beach

Emerging
Another one, a bit further along to adulthood

Meet the Munsters
When family photos go horribly wrong

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Aug 2018, 20:09

Part Three
is a moderately random selection from scanned transparencies from the last 12 years or so of the 20th century

Effulgent
Peace rose in the magic light

Poppy Cascade

Bend
Sally at Willsbridge, S Gloucs, 1990s

Free and Easier

Conundrum

Anatomy Lesson

Cup

Two Views of a Fountain

The Gang Show

Back on Friday

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Aug 2018, 20:41

Just back from a tiring trip, none of the archives currently up to scratch, so just one selection today, from around a month ago: doggy fun with sticks at Creedy Beach as low rainfall makes the river more or less fordable

Taking Out the Trash

I love the trail of cast-off from his triumphantly wagging tail

Rush

Damsel

The Shadow Knows

bit more of a show tomorrow, when I have (I hope) recovered a bit

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Aug 2018, 18:55

Part one today is the usual mixed bag from the print scans, while part two is the usual same old stuff from around one month ago...

Ruined
The remains of a 17th or 18th century stately home somewhere in the north-west Midlands – wish i could be more specific, but my wits have been scattered by a bong. A nearby church is full of extraordinary Baroque decoration, quite unlike any other parish church I've seen in this country. I've been there twice, too, once in the 1980s or so and again in the late nineties, early noughties. If it comes back to me, I'll edit.
EDIT: thanks to my pal hawk, who was with me on one of the visits, it's Great Witley, Worcestershire. Amazing place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Witley

Mike's Wedding
Me with Babak. Photo by Bill or Fisherman Bob. Brighton 1990 or 1991. I'm wearing the suit from my wedding in 1988, last one I ever owned.

Taking the Long View
Looking out across the well-ironed landscape of Lincolnshire from the top of Lincoln Cathedral's central tower, from the days when you were allowed to climb it, and my acrophobia and claustrophobia (ascending a very long stone newel staircase definitely counts) were just tickles of unease compared to what I get just thinking about it these days. Very early Seventies: I'm hitching around the country checking out cathedrals and visiting the diaspora of my undergraduate friends.

Nearly
Another attempt at a family portrait sabotaged by Sean, aged about six, so that's Goginan, 1994 or 1995.

Suited Up
Best Man Clive and token lounge lizard lookalike, Mike, aka my oldest friend and a friend who happens to be old, at the reception to my first wedding, in the back garden of Chip's house. Bill took over my cameras for the actual ceremony and afters, but I may or may not have wrested them from him by this point.

White Bucks and Tanned Calves
He definitely took this one, though, because it's me in the brogues and Frankie in the sandals. Both pics Mangotsfield, 30/6/88.

Part two a bit later
Last edited by Rayge on 11 Aug 2018, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Aug 2018, 21:03

Part two
Still at Creedy Beach, still taking photos of green water and dogs swimming with sticks, among sudden outbursts of imagination

Rock Collector

Taking the Waters

The Eyes Have It

Spiked

Sparked

Zig Zag Wanderer

Deckies

Back tomorrow

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Aug 2018, 18:26

Part one features the quotidian pleasures of retirement in Devon about a month ago
Part Two returns to scans of random slides from last century.

Downward Dog

Typical

On the Bridge

Old Oak...

...New Shoots

Sparkle

Shower
Gardening watering an everyday task by the middle of the month - lots of heat and no rain

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Aug 2018, 18:26

Part Two

Random slides from the late 1980s
Fairy Lights
Ed & Daphne's place, Ladbroke Grove

On Guard
Lifeguard Bill checks for swimmers in trouble from the comfort of his hut. Brighton

Weights and Measures: 3 gorillas = 1 Buddah
Weights and Measures:the Fourth Gorilla Cries 'Fix'
London

Cretaceous War Bonnet

Double Drop

Flame On
Brighton

Another helping tomorrow, I hope and trust

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Aug 2018, 19:14

Part one is from mid July, and yet another walk by the Creedy for dogchops to cool down

Hay Time

Still Green

See You on the Other Side

Reverse Narcissus

Another Damsel, No Distress
Not a great photo, but it is an insect just over an inch long and it was thirty feet away on the other side of the river

Tangled Up in Green

And two from the garden
Whites Out

Pod
First crop of mangy touts

More from the garden tomorrow

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Aug 2018, 19:16

Part Two
Back to the Print Scans

Symphony in Stone
Bath Abbey 2000s

Hello
First-ever meeting with my son and daughter-in-law, 2005 Oldland Common

Writer in Residence
Chip used the advance for her first novel - part of it, anyway – to buy this constructor's shed, where she wrote the rest of her books.
2000s, Oldland Common

Brains Trust
The usual crew, Oldland or Kenn, 2000s

Provocative Fucker
Katz obviously never heard the one about letting sleeping dogs lie... 2000-2001, Oldland Common

Full Throttle
Chip and Katz around 2003

Heartthrob
Selfie in Bill's room near Bedford Square, Brighton, mid 1970s

that's all for today

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Aug 2018, 19:58

Part One features shots from the garden in the middle of last month

Back-lit

Lacy

Last Call for Lucifer

Over the Garden Fence

Michael and the Hare

Diascia

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Aug 2018, 19:59

Part 2
A rummage in the scanned print archive

Double Decker
Tallulah and Sal, 77 North Street Oldland, early 1990s

Alert
Sal, somewhere near the Rollright Stones, early 1990s

Poppy Field
1982, I think - 1980s, certainly

Downhill Racer
Sal was half whippet, and had a fair turn of speed. Oldland Common, early 1980s

Official Portrait
Taken by Reader's Digest UK's in-house photographer, 1975; I worked in their Mayfair offices for two years from April 1974. Hence the tie.

Black Hole
Kez on the beach at Weston-Super-Mare, sometime in the Noughties

Aiofe in the Music Room
Goginan, early Noughties

more tomorrow

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Aug 2018, 17:08

Today's Part One features some scanned transparencies from the late 1980s.

Moon and Stars

Temporary Home
Belsize Road, Kilburn 1989-90

Primary Colours

Selfie

Abstraction

The Granule's Bowl

Shelf Life

Last edited by Rayge on 15 Aug 2018, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “My Way”