Ray's Photos

BCBers plug your own band, label, radio show, magazine, website here along with other stuff that might be interesting.
Rayge

Re: Ray's Photos

Postby Rayge » 25 Jul 2018, 16:10

Part one today says goodby to flamin' June with a blaze of colour. All pics Sandford, 30.6.18

OK, So Brown is a Colour, Yeah?
The birds are as much a part of the garden as the plants

Two views of the Kitchen Border
Remade this this year; the snapdragons I planted as annuals to give colour while the perennials are settling in have
pretty much taken over, and good on them

Big Ben
Rosa Benjamin Britten, ever dependable, also in the Kitchen Border (so called because it is by the kitchen window)

Hares and Graces
Dahlias and diascias in the running hares pot, now sadly close to defunct

Spicing Things Up
a flowering ginger of some kind

Tomorrow, maybe July, maybe a wee diversion. Hm
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jul 2018, 16:11

Part Two,
scans from prints, takes place in Kenn and West Wales sometime after 2005
Barking
How long can you look before seeing creatures and faces emerge? Ineluctable modality of the visible

Dusted
Kenn church

Kenn Street Sunset
Being on the Somerset Levels, basically reclaimed marshland, the village and walks around afforded very little
in the shape of, well interesting shapes, or much to look at all really. Walking Kez was a chore most of the time

Happy Wanderer
Pic by Chip

Glaciated Valley
View from Nant-Y-Moch

The Art of Trees
As Above

Out of Season
Deserted front at Aberystwyth. And no, I don't know why there's a Manx flag flying there

Typical Welsh Weather ;)
Aberystwyth again

Tomorrow, back to the Seventies (and indeed Fifties)

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Jul 2018, 14:45

Part One today, from the print scans archive, is all about the 20th century again, after we get one from the 21st out of the way

There's Something Out There!
Kez keeps guard in the bedroom at Oldland Common, 2003-05

Suited and Booted
Pic by my grandad in his back garden, Glenwood Road, Tottenham, around 1958

This is the Way, Step Inside
Dave Pike at 23 Abbey Street

Details
Bill at 23 Abbey Street, May-June 1971. So many pictures of Bill, but I find myself checking out the Subbuteo
Arena, my old red radio, the statue of the schizophrenic Madonna...

Glyn & Sam
Abbey Street 1972, Sam flicking through one of my first albums of photos

Kim
Remember little about Kim beyond her given name and sunny presence. UKC 1971-2

Calli Working
at 23 Abbey St, 1971-72

Mike 'Working'
Well, reading, anyway
Similar stoned and drunken shenanigans tomorrow

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Jul 2018, 14:48

Part Two
Well, I haven't got round to starting to sort this month's photos yet, so part two today dips into another archive file of scans from (mostly) transparencies, mostly from the 1980s

Running Rail
Last Rays
Winter Sunset from Bath Racecourse

Skritch
Chip and Sal, 1989

Spare Head
Carlton Mansions, 1980s

Nature Programming
Pic taken from TV - no idea what is/was going on - trippy, Man

Lamp/Light
Hyde Park

(Diet) Coke Head

Tomorrow, Hot Graffitti Action

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Jul 2018, 19:13

Part one, various trannies of graffiti pile-up on Putney railway bridge, probably from the late 1980s to the early 1990s. Captions are optional: I have a headache after taking some whacks. For the same reason, a shorter selection than usual

The Strawberry Yoghourt Incident

The Great Sperm Race

The Battle of Britain

Bastille Day

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Jul 2018, 19:14

Part Two

a few more prints from the early 1970s of stude life at Abbey Street. Scabbier versions of these have been up before:
this is as good as they get

Refreshments

Singing As We Go!

Gone

Afternoon Tea
Picture presumably by Dave Pike, speaking of whom...

Pikey Sparks Up

Dying Light

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2018, 16:31

In part one today, in the print scan archives, going way back to the late 1960s and early 1970s, when I either didn't have, or was just starting out, as a photographer. I only took three of these

Graduation Day
July 1972, UKC. Me with Jacqui (who actually was graduating, Glyn and Judy). Pic by Jacqui's dad?

Family Affairs
Summer 1967 Clive's wedding to Jean in the minidress. That's his twin sister, Pat, getting all gooey over Richard,
her husband to be. They're still together. Jean and Clive made seven years. Pic probably by Clive's brother John

Caught
Jacqui in her back garden in Solihull, trying desperately not to exhale a plume of smoke

Jacqui's Revenge
Solihull, 1971 (I think)

Judy
Wincheap, 1971-72, Canterbury

Rocking the Jarvis Crocker Look Avant La Lettre
Glyn, also from Sheffield incidentally, enjoys a Park Drive like the Northern twat he was :)

RIP Frankie
The earliest picture I have of my friend Frankie Campbell (later Crocker, later still Bell), who went from hippy chick to
renowned Jungian psychotherapist, and who, I discovered a couple of days ago, died on 28 May this year. Pic by Glyn

Part Two coming a bit later

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2018, 17:24

Part Two is slipping back into digital mode with some scenes from Deep Devon earlier this month

Open Brackets

The View from the Bench
On the way into Crediton. I sat on it this very morning, and all the corn had turned to gold

Cow Party

In His Element
Sorting out sticks in the Millennium Green Stream

Morning Staff
It is customary in summer to take morning coffee on the swing seat, with these lovelies to look at

How It Got Its Name
Lysimachia 'Fire-Cracker'

Sunshine on the Ground
Dahlias

Reaching for heaven
Crocosmia Lucifer

Tomorrow, more from this month, and from the dim and distant

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Jul 2018, 22:13

The first part today is from the first week of this month, and features lots of pictures of water - no, wait – while part two, from the print scan archive, has pics from the early 1970s and the 1990s. There's also a bonus part three, inside the artist's studio, a morality tale taken from a recently opened set of transparency scans. You lucky people

Tangled Up in Green

Shake and Shimmy

The Far Shore

Dreaming of England

More Than Memory

Wild Ride

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Jul 2018, 22:17

Part Two
Comes over all chronological, and the majority weren't actually taken by me
The first two here are from the days before I had a camera and are, I suspect ,the work of Richard Gollin, with whom I shared
digs in my final year at UKC.

Mean, Moody Magnificent
This is Keith. He and Clive were besties from their first day at primary school to the break-up of Clive's marriage with Jean.
I didn't attach myself to them until 1965. In 1966, we went off to University, Keith and I to UKC in Canterbury, Clive to
Essex. Keith and I were both Spurs fans, and we spent a lot of time together1966-69. Here he is looming (he's 6' 5") in the
college room of Vic Lam, an ethnic Chinese from Malaya, who introduced us to Coltrane and modern jazz in general

Old Enough to Know Better
1970. Clive was visiting UKC because he was applying for some kind of academic position*. This was the first year of my
doctorate (and indeed his, at Essex), before I moved into a nest of druggies who managed to open my eyes, gawd bless
them, and led me to abandon it in favour of, well, my life, at the end of my second year. The World will have to do
without Whitewash: Black Writing and European Forms in American Literature. It would have been crap, anyway
* he didn't get it

Her Manor
Sally looking proprietorial in the front garden of 77 North Street, Oldland, 1993. A note on the photo says that Chip took it.
I like the pentagram frame for the morning glories to climb. I'd forgotten about that

High Low Hello
Also by Chip, I presume, in the hills above Oldland. Several local farmers kept and bred horses. Judging by my chubbiness,
this is from around the same time as the one above

Full Beam
Chip definitely took this one, on holiday in the mid-90s

The next two are mine, though.

Poppy in Ecstasy
Glyn's dog, the polydactylous Poppy, getting scritched by a past mistress of the art. July 1997. Shropshire

Dolores

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Jul 2018, 22:35

Part Three
Bill and Ray's excellent adventure
One evening in the eighties in the hallway of the Mansions, stoned and/or tripping and making our own amusement
with whatever comes to hand

Takeout

Anything to Declare?

No Winnebago Available

To Sleep

Sweet Dreams

Alas

Such larks!
ttfn

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 30 Jul 2018, 20:18

Part One today is a usual suspects job from earlier this year: part two continues with some transparencies from the 1980s

The Only Shade in the Field
It's OK for this Englishman and his mad dog, but the cows don't want to know about the noonday sun

Comfort
That dressing gown was on its way to the charity shop before He decided it was actually a bed

Ablaze

Day Lilies

Chomped but Unbowed

Size Matters
Dinner plate dahlias and globe artichokes

Effortlessly Lovely

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 30 Jul 2018, 20:19

Part Two
Begins with a trio of sunsets in Gladstone Park just a half-mile or so from the Mansions, could be any time in the 1980s - as could all the rest

Are We Having Fun Yet
Soho Neon

The Passing Show
More night lights

What's Up, Tiger Lily?
My stamens, stoopid.

Dragon Grin

Tomorrow...well, I don't know yet, but there's be something

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Jul 2018, 20:35

In part one today, a quick zip through some slide scans from the 1980s (unless otherwise stated). First three Cricklewood, next three Tottenham

Red Tulips

Cool Lips, Reg

My Life and Mild Times: Chapter 3

Beyond the Park Lane End

West Stand
because I'm in my season ticket seat, this is 1983 or later

Arboreal Gothic

Time Slip
Next time, night in the trip room

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Jul 2018, 20:37

Part Two
Leaving July to fend for itself for today, we move slickly into the 1990s, and the print scans archive

Linda Cuts Penny's Hair
July 1997, Oldland Common

Matt Brushes Blue
Swansea, about 1995

Ripening
Wheat

Thrash
Barley in the wind

The Way West
Paddington Station, London

Sebsi

Ugly Ducklings

Tomorrow, back to July for some floral moments

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Aug 2018, 20:45

In Part One today, some nice restful images of plants from 5 July this year, and in part two a whole sequence of the Trip Room by night.
Incidentally, it might be worth pointing out that the TR is a not a room hypothecated to the taking of LSD, although that did happen therein maybe a dozen times: I started out when I moved in and claimed that room as my office/study/den/cave/whatever by putting loads of posters and pictures on the walls to disguise the fact that they seriously needed decorating, and then started infilling in a devil makes work kind of way, and after about a year or two of this I realized I had a full-on piece of visual art going on that gave me something to do with what I then naively thought were a lot of photos, and indeed cards and collected imagery. All I needed was a theme, and autobiography was an obvious place to go. This is the Trip I'm referring to, the long and strange one from the Cradle to, well, if not the grave, certainly a place and a person very different from the way I'd started out.
Anyways, first the flowers...

Hey, Good Lurkin'
The doggy boy he do love to lurk

Abundance

Scarlet

Ladder

Mellow Mallow

Gelato & Sorbet

Tomorrow - the boy finds a new hole

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Aug 2018, 20:47

Part Two
All scanned from transparencies, probably taken in one hallucinogenic evening in the late 1990s...

Betty in Peril

Mirror Selfie

Back tomorrow, content undecided

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Aug 2018, 19:50

In part one today, off out with the dog on 5 April; in part two, all over the place with some scans from vintage prints

On the Down Low
The heatwave/drought is starting to bite

Guard of Honour
Docks and umbellifers line the path from Shaky Bridge

Wrythen
On our way from Upton Hellions to Creedy Beech, I stepped aside to let a car pass: it stopped though, and the driver, a woman in her late 50s with an expensive haircut, informed me, in suitably plummy tones, that she was the owner of the field between Creedy Bridge and the next road along, that nothing would be in it for a while, and that I was welcome to walk my dog there. So I did. This three therein. While I was taking this, Himself wandered around the other side of the tree, and vanished. When I went looking, this is what I saw

Disappearer

Scents of Excitement

After a few minutes of this, I wandered off, and gave him a yell..
Here I Am!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Aug 2018, 19:51

Part Two
From the 1980s, as far as I can tell

Ruin
Clevedon Pier from the Portishead side, late ’80s, maybe early ’90s

Stereo Pleading
sibs Butch and Tosca, belonging to Chip's sister. 1980s

Caption Competition

Balls

Cereals

Soho in the Rain
Meard Street, to be precise

more soon

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Aug 2018, 15:22

In Part Two today, back into the print scans archive, but before that it's all the usual suspects in Devon early last month

Good Night

Good Morning
A confused evening primrose

The Joy of Six

Monkey Musk

Perfect Pair

Juicy Fruit
Dessert gooseberries and blackcurrants to be precise

Return to “My Way”