Random Music stuff thread.

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: Random Music stuff thread.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 May 2011, 05:00

I just learned that the voice yelling "So LONG already, Artie!" waaaaaay in the background towards the end of the extended coda of "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" does not belong to Paul Simon, as I had always assumed, but to engineer/co-producer Roy Halee!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 May 2011, 22:25

I had an epihany in the car this afternoon listening to 'Kid A' - for the first time I heard the influence in there of Pil, I heard Jah Wobble, and I thought what a great mash up I could make of the aforementioned artists if only I didn't have to go to WORK :x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 May 2011, 22:42

Loki wrote:Does anyone know if this is anybody, or just music created for an ad?

[youtube]9yxm2Eve1LA&feature=related[/youtube]

err, it says it in the Comments... :)

it's the ponys- double vision

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 18 May 2011, 22:51

Brian wrote:I moved and of course one of the first things I did was set up my stereo. Turns out the left speaker isn't working, or a channel is blown on the receiver. I have no idea and it's annoying. :evil:

Swap the speaker wires over at the back of the receiver. If the same speaker doesn't work, the speaker's fucked. If the other speaker doesn't work, the receiver's fucked. If you get nothing at all both speakers and the receiver are fucked.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Aug 2011, 16:08

I've been thinking about what triggers digging into certain music that I always knew I basically liked, but never really delved into before. Lately for me it's been the Allmans and the Eno ambient records. But before that this summer, it was the late 70s ZZ Top and the Crosby record. I had digested ZZ Top's first four records, but hadn't paid serious attention to the rest. After no doubt bitching about the first record not being on cd in an acceptable mix, a kind poster from the Bay Area sent me the ZZ Top box. I put it on and quietly noted that the First Album tracks were NOT, in fact the original mixes and set it aside. Then, when summer hit (and boy did it ever hit), I wanted ZZ Top on cd so I could listen to it in my car and on my ipod. I went back to the box to get whatever it had and it caused me to dig deeper into some other stuff (Deguello, Tejas) that ended up being really rewarding to me. I had this music sitting around for months, and it wasn't exactly obscure, but there had to be a trigger to dig into it.

The same with the Allmans. I had always loved Brothers And Sisters, but that had always been basically sufficient. I knew what was on Eat A Peach and the Fillmore record and Idlewild South and I had heard the records, but never felt the need to buy them or dig into them. I think it started on a thread where we were arguing about whether ZZ Top was better than the Allmans. Someone (and I could name them given a multiple choice option) said (rightly) that the Top had no answer for Fillmore East, and I knew that was true, but I also didn't really value that aspect of the Allmans and knew that, though they played roughly the same sort of thing as the Top, they couldn't do what the Top could do. But then, about a month ago, someone posted a link on Facebook with Crosby and Nash doing a few tunes with the present-day Allmans (one of the tunes was "Cowboy Movie"). I watched both clips, for whatever reason (I'm honestly shocked I played them and can't explain why I did), and all of a sudden it was time to dig into Fillmore and Eat A Peach. I've been listening to almost nothing but those records (particularly the long jams) for the past month or so (though I obviously put it on the shelf while in England). Before, I couldn't have been bothered to really pay attention because my head wasn't there. Now I'm soaking it up. And yet, there were no surprises. I've known what these records were about for 20 years, but all of a sudden, it's my time for them and they've been very rewarding. I thought about getting lost in the music on the plane to England, but it didn't really happen (though I had already committed myself to it).

Does this happen to anyone else?

The same thing happened with the Eno ambient records. Whenever these things get reissued, I guess I only have money for the pop records and I always know I would be into the quiet records, but never have the time or money. I always listen to Another Green World on the airplane when I'm crossing the Atlantic, and I can't sleep on planes, so I thought now might be the time. I got my hands on a few, and of course I love them! I didn't sleep much last night and I put on Discreet Music (probably my favorite) and I was instantly transported to the plane going to England. It was wonderful. I really like these records and will buy a few more. Hell, I might even go wild and start a thread! But again, I've had friends who owned them over the years and I basically knew what was up, but never got around to it. It's so weird what triggers these things.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Aug 2011, 22:41

One of my parents' best friends gave me his records a few years ago. I took them, figuring there would be something there, and there are a few good things. But they've been sitting in boxes for a few years and I want to get rid of the vast majority of them and I want to give his daughters the first crack at them as he bypassed them to give them to me. Man oh man, is that cat a proper sensitive man liberal! How many records by Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Sweet Honey In The Rock, The Roches, and Miriam Makeba does one man need!? And I'm not mentioning classics such as Sufi Choir Sings Robert Bly's Versions of Kabir. Fucking hell!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Aug 2011, 23:13

*(cough)*

Mychael

Postby Mychael » 27 Aug 2011, 23:20

Conny Plank began his career as the sound engineer for Marlene Dietrich.
Bear tracks, bear tracks comin' up to you: http://www.bearfamilyradio.com/index.php?lang=en

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Aug 2011, 23:41

Charlie O. wrote:*(cough)*

HA!
There is a bit of Charlie O.-ness to it all.
Were you ever into bourgeois hippie drum circle scenes!?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Aug 2011, 23:51

I don't know if one guy can be a drum circle, but the rest fits.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Sep 2011, 19:25

Is Mersey Paradise by the Stone Roses supposed to sound like Here Comes the Sun?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Sep 2011, 05:11

I'm re-watching The Producers (the original one) for the umpty-zillionth time, and it occurs to me (not for the first time) that Dick Shawn is "doing" Eric Burdon here - not in the dialogue leading up to his number, but starting with the "psychedelically speaking" song intro (about 1:07 in):

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Oct 2011, 03:03

Saw a preview trailer tonight for a movie called Martha Marcy May Marlene. In the trailer, the Manson-esque cult leader character is shown playing a guitar and singing, of all things, Jackson C. Frank's "Marcy's Song" - an obscure choice even by Jackson C. Frank standards. (Coincidentally or not, Frank also had a song called "Marlene".) Too bad Frank isn't around to collect the royalties.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Dec 2011, 20:15

Iron & Wine's "Your Fake Name Is Good Enough For Me" has a horn line stolen from Beefheart's "Run Paint Run Run".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Jan 2012, 09:10

I just noticed how very alike these two tunes are.

Dr Markus wrote:

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Jan 2012, 14:22

Geezee wrote:
Loki wrote:Does anyone know if this is anybody, or just music created for an ad?

[youtube]9yxm2Eve1LA&feature=related[/youtube]

err, it says it in the Comments... :)

it's the ponys- double vision

I go crazy for this record!

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Jan 2012, 19:01

Charlie O. wrote:Having listened to Zep's "Immigrant Song" for over forty years (albeit not continuously), I only just consciously realized for the first time today that there's no bass guitar in the intro!

:shock: Surely you notice the bass when it comes in after the intro?

Once while jamming with friends I began playing Neil Young's song Helpless and then because Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door has the same chord pattern I began alternating song lines between those two songs. I don't think I made it to the end because it was so funny and not easy to keep up especially with the handicap of a green substance. I thought I might try to actually work it up as a complete song but I haven't gotten around to it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Mar 2012, 23:04

Tim Kerr addresses the Bad Brains/Big Boys Incident.
http://www.timkerr.net/home.htm

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Mar 2012, 23:47

Mychael wrote:Conny Plank began his career as the sound engineer for Marlene Dietrich.

Burt Bacharach was Dietrich's musical arranger for a while.
king of the divan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Mar 2012, 04:27

Six Degrees of Black Sabbath. Try it, you'll like it.

http://labs.echonest.com/SixDegrees/

Return to “Yakety Yak”