Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Random Music stuff thread.

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Sep 2018, 16:31

Wally Bingbang wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Mac Miller died...age 26
What a shame.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 26-720756/

I had honestly never heard of Mac Miller until I read the news yesterday that he had died, and was even more confounded by the fact that he's been quite well known for about ten years or so. Weird.

I'd only really heard of him in passing, myself. I think my little sister-in-law is a fan.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Sep 2018, 16:09

Charlie O. wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Anybody know why "club edition" LPs are usually priced higher than 1st issues on discogs?
I assume these are like BMG/Columbia House joints...

I would assume that there are fewer of them in general circulation. Don't know why anyone but diehard completists would care.

Just happened across this old Muskrat post from an old thread about record clubs:

Muskrat wrote:When I was at the Capitol Record Club, we did most of our own pressings (through Capitol's plant), which in many cases were higher-quality vinyl than the originals; particularly those from labels like King and Sun (sometimes the cover stock was of a lesser quality, however).

And, I'm proud to say*, we for some reason issued the Ronettes' album in true stereo. Plus a lot of "club exclusive" packages; usually two discs, which included a bunch of stuff you couldn't find elsewhere. Out a&r guy was especially proud to have found and issued the Judy Garland London studio session, which he later put on a Capitol Garland box, which he produced freelance long after the Club was history.

* though I had nothing to do with it; it was before my time with the place

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 18 Sep 2018, 11:32

How Auto-Tune Revolutionized the Sound of Popular Music

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/ ... lar-music/
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Sep 2018, 15:40

kalowski II: The Revenge wrote:How Auto-Tune Revolutionized the Sound of Popular Music

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/ ... lar-music/

But has there ever really been such a thing as “natural” singing, at least since the invention of recording, microphones, and live amplification? Right at the primal roots of rock’n’roll, Elvis Presley’s voice came clad in slapback echo. The Beatles enthusiastically adopted artificial double-tracking, a process invented by Abbey Road engineer Ken Townsend that thickened vocals by placing a doubled recording slightly out of sync with the identical original. John Lennon also loved to alter the natural timbre of his voice by putting it through a variably rotating Leslie speaker and by slowing down the tape speed of his recorded singing.

YOU LEAVE ROCK ALONE, PITCHFORK!
*sobs*
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Sep 2018, 23:19

Damn, Suge Knight just got sentenced to 28 years for murder voluntary manslaughter!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/ ... to-prison/

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 02 Oct 2018, 22:48

Blue without Peggy Sue: Buddy Holly muse dies at 78

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... ssion=true
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Oct 2018, 00:18

The Hendrix family missed a trick this past Record Store Day: it would've been (approximately) the 51st Anniversary of "51st Anniversary", the b-side of "Purple Haze"...

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » Yesterday, 11:58

When my clock radio alarm went off at 5:40 this morning (ugh) I was reminded just how far removed we BCBers are from the general music consuming population when the on-air-personality said, after playing a short clip of 'Black Magic Woman', "Here's a fun fact for all you out there...you all know this song, but what you might not know is that it wasn't originally written by Santana! I'll talk more about it after the break..."
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Six String

Postby Six String » Yesterday, 17:13

Coincidently I played the Mac's version last night in my dj set.