piss-boring 'cult' albums

Do talk back
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: piss-boring 'cult' albums

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 May 2015, 09:33

The Modernist wrote:
Sea of Tunes v2.0 wrote:
The problem is context. The tracks Modernist and I like lose appeal amidst the rest of the LP. They would shine much more if they were placed between well-structured and purposeful, much leaner material.

Yeah probably. It feels over-produced in places - all those rich, heavy arrangements. It reminds me of 'No Other' in that respect.

:shock: --> :)

Superb reply, because I pondered including No Other in my little list of purportedly coke-influenced LPs. In the end I didn't, because at present I am trying to let it fully sink in, with lots of concentration on my part. It is rich, very rich - is it 'over-ripe'? My verdict is still out. There is a lot in it. Will it finally 'gel' with me? Don't know yet.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 May 2015, 09:43

Thoughts of You is really wonderful I think. I adore that song but the albums a chore.

Daydream Nation A handful of gruel thin riffs spread over the course of an hour. What a fucking nightmare.

Portishead – Dummy

Honestly, I tried to listen to this the other night and I lasted about 12 minutes. Do people still listen to this album? Do people still have the nerve to suggest records like this were the truly great British albums of that period and better than all that retro Britpop rubbish like Parklife and Suede?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 May 2015, 09:46

The Modernist wrote:
Sea of Tunes v2.0 wrote:
The problem is context. The tracks Modernist and I like lose appeal amidst the rest of the LP. They would shine much more if they were placed between well-structured and purposeful, much leaner material.

Yeah probably. It feels over-produced in places - all those rich, heavy arrangements. It reminds me of 'No Other' in that respect.

I made a mix of POB, All Things Must Pass and No Other once upon a time - they work very well together and if you get rid of the weed from those albums it makes for great listening.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 28 May 2015, 11:32

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 May 2015, 11:33

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 May 2015, 11:41

I don't know, John, I can take or leave most Cohen but I do really like that one.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 28 May 2015, 11:47

Bungo the Mungo wrote:Image

Why would you listen to this? Beats me.

Just love it!
One of his best! :-)
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 May 2015, 11:50

PENK wrote:I don't know, John, I can take or leave most Cohen but I do really like that one.

I quite like 'Hey, That's No Way....', but I can't take that kind of thing for too long.

I find LC the embodiment of 'boring', really. I was trying to find that clip where he plays 'Suzanne' for 8 minutes and all you get is that two-note guitar arpeggio and him droning on and on.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 28 May 2015, 11:51

Goat Boy wrote:Daydream Nation A handful of gruel thin riffs spread over the course of an hour. What a fucking nightmare.

I still maintain it's a wicked album to fuck to. I almost made my GF at the time a paraplegic I was bringing such choice game that night.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 28 May 2015, 11:52

The Modernist wrote:
The Slider wrote:

How long before the penny drops on Diamond Dogs?
It'll happen, you mark my words.

What -that's one of his very best!

It really really isn't
And one day you will realise it.
Stand on me.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 May 2015, 12:19

The Red Heifer wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Daydream Nation A handful of gruel thin riffs spread over the course of an hour. What a fucking nightmare.

I still maintain it's a wicked album to fuck to. I almost made my GF at the time a paraplegic I was bringing such choice game that night.

:shock: --> :D

You dirty... you Dirty!!!
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 28 May 2015, 12:25

Jeff K wrote:Image

Not really boring just not what I expected it to be, Too lightweight.

with you on that
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 May 2015, 12:29

The Red Heifer wrote:

:lol:

I don't know if i'd go as far as 'piss-poor', but In The Aeroplane Over the Sea has never clicked with me.
Last edited by fange on 14 Jun 2017, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 28 May 2015, 13:28

fangedango! wrote:

I don't know if i'd go as far as 'piss-poor', but [I]In The Aeroplane Over the Sea[I] has never clicked with me.

I like it but have never understood the status it has achieved.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 May 2015, 13:41

Mabel Griff's Toyshop wrote:All of the albums by The Cult, of course.....

They do better cola I believe....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 May 2015, 16:30

The Slider wrote:Bitches Brew similarly.

I like electric Miles and I like the albums that directly precede and follow it, but I came to Bitches Brew last out of all that stuff and it seemed like the weakest of any of it. Real dorm room/pot smoking stuff. I don't know why those perceived impressions taint it, but they do.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 28 May 2015, 16:37

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Slider wrote:Bitches Brew similarly.

I like electric Miles and I like the albums that directly precede and follow it, but I came to Bitches Brew last out of all that stuff and it seemed like the weakest of any of it. Real dorm room/pot smoking stuff. I don't know why those perceived impressions taint it, but they do.

Yeah, it's never been one of my Miles favorites.

There's nothing wrong with a boring or introspective album when that's what the mood calls for. Just about everything is boring compared to Fun House. As it happens, I listen to that 45-year old Fun House album pretty often in 2015, but I've also been going on something of a Laura Nyro binge of late, so...

If I was younger and still took drugs I might not have a need for albums like Loveless, or Oar, or something by the Durutti Column or whatever. But I'm old and different music serves different functions.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 May 2015, 16:53

After an interesting start, this gets tiring pretty quickly.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 May 2015, 17:17

the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:
PENK wrote:I don't know, John, I can take or leave most Cohen but I do really like that one.

I quite like 'Hey, That's No Way....', but I can't take that kind of thing for too long.

I find LC the embodiment of 'boring', really. I was trying to find that clip where he plays 'Suzanne' for 8 minutes and all you get is that two-note guitar arpeggio and him droning on and on.

Either way, it is not a cult album by any stretch of the imagination. It's a critically lauded mainstream album by one of the most famous singer-songwriters in the world.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 28 May 2015, 17:32

Tusk is an excellent album.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “Yakety Yak”