Apache/Inca by Maitreya Kali

Do talk back
Billy

Apache/Inca by Maitreya Kali

Postby Billy » 12 Jul 2010, 19:16

Any love for this around these parts? Or am I just stabbing myself in the knee with scissors again ....

The mystery surrounding the two albums released in the early '70s by Maitreya Kali -- also known, confusingly, as Satya Sai Maitreya Kali -- has taken some time to be unraveled. Before getting into the details, the important thing to acknowledge is that they are among the more interesting rare late-'60s folk-rock psychedelic relics, alternating between full electric band arrangements and solo acoustic guitar ones. The electric numbers are rather like a cross between Buffalo Springfield and the most assertive cuts by the Monkees (a band that at moments could sound a lot more like Buffalo Springfield than many admit), though closer to Buffalo Springfield than to the Monkees. The mixture of folk-rock with harmonies, a slight country influence, and sunny Californian pop is also reminiscent of Merrell Fankhauser, a cult icon who is much better known than Maitreya Kali (though much lesser known than Buffalo Springfield and the Monkees). There are occasional spaced-out psychedelic effects, particularly in the vocals run through a Leslie effect on a couple of songs; the 12-minute suite "Knot the Freize" (sic) is a very ambitious string of discrete song sections, although otherwise the artist stuck to a pretty concise two-to-four-minute compositional structure.

The acoustic cuts, while still pretty, are a bit creepy and odd in the manner of a somewhat less cutting-edge Dino Valente or Skip Spence. "Love and pain are one and the same," sings the vocalist on "Ole Man," a sentiment that, like some others heard in other songs on the two LPs, gets a little too close to Charles Manson territory for comfort. There are also some pretty ambitious meditations upon religion, loneliness, and mysticism, although in general the tone is upbeat, the melodies accessible, and the singing pleasantly normal. But why, you may be wondering, all this ambiguity? Why not name the personnel of anyone in this act, and why refer to these early-'70s albums as late-'60s rock?

There is one quite simple reason for the wide disparity between the more straightforward full-band electric rock cuts and the lower, more minimally arranged acoustic ones. The electric material -- about half of the Maitreya Kali records -- was not recorded by Maitreya Kali, but by a Southern Californian 1967 pop-folk-rock-psychedelic band, the Penny Arkade. And the rest of the songs were recorded a few years later by one of the two singer/songwriters in the Penny Arkade, Craig Smith, aka Maitreya Kali.

Even after these rare albums were issued on CD, the history of Maitreya Kali was so murky and the details on the albums themselves so muddled that it was impossible to pin down when the records were recorded and who played on them. The clues that could be assembled were drawn largely from the record covers, which are crudely patched together from photos of the apparent perpetuator, taken on his travels around the world; hand-drawn inscrutable symbols for religious deities and planetary bodies; and rambling written dedications and musician credits. But in the early 2000s, a few of the musicians were tracked down, putting some logical rationale behind the apparent madness.

Maitreya Kali was a pseudonym for Craig Smith, a guitarist and songwriter who actually had some quite mainstream artists cover several of his compositions. Smith/Maitreya Kali inaccurately wrote in the liner notes to the first of those records, Apache (1971), that he did all instruments and vocals. Various famous people are mentioned as friends and cohorts in the liner notes, including Mike Nesmith, session musician Steve Douglas, producer Nick Venet, and Frank Zappa (a handwritten comment by Zappa about one Maitreya Kali song is reproduced on the cover of Apache). There are prominent dedications to Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, "Lord and Lady Lennon," and Paul Butterfield without any certain evidence that he knew any of those musicians. (The Neil Young reference makes sense given that a few of the songs mildly recall Young's work in his Buffalo Springfield days.) There are quotes, some (whether they were real or not) about Maitreya Kali from Batman star Adam West, Jerry Garcia, Charles Manson, Andy Williams, and Bobby Troup. The liner notes are in a scrambled syntax that only renders them inscrutable, but is of a style that one associates with the mentally ill.

For all that, however, the music is often fairly well-produced, well-played, and likable, not at all the kind of acid-damaged mush you'd suspect from the packaging. This is for the prosaic reason that these songs, comprising about half of the LPs, were unreleased recordings done by the Penny Arkade in 1967, before Smith traveled around the world and got much weirder. There are more specific details in the Penny Arkade entry, but basically, that group recorded quite a bit of material that never came out, produced by Mike Nesmith of the Monkees. Smith was not the sole singer/songwriter of that band; he shared equal time with Chris Ducey, with whom he'd done an obscure single for Capitol in 1966 as half of the duo Chris and Craig.

When the Penny Arkade broke up without having released anything, Smith took off on travels around the world, funded by his songwriting royalties from covers of his songs by the Monkees ("Salesman"), Andy Williams ("Holly"), and Glen Campbell ("Country Girl"). (The Penny Arkade versions of both "Salesman" and "Country Girl" can be heard on the Inca and Apache albums, respectively.) When he returned to the States, he combined a bunch of unreleased Penny Arkade tracks with more recent, sparer, and spookier recordings he'd done on his own, most likely in the early '70s. The results were the Apache and Inca LPs, pressed in extremely small quantities, essentially as vanity pressings credited to Satya Sai Maitreya Kali. An even rarer release put both LPs together onto a double album.

Those who knew Smith felt he'd become much more eccentric and psychologically unstable, a supposition borne out by the eerie nature of the solo recordings on those LPs. To make matters more confusing, the liner notes of Inca claim that the material was recorded over a period of ten years, although it seems unlikely that any of it was done before the mid-'60s. Finally, the albums have also been credited to Satya Sai Maitreya Kali, although they are usually classified in the few discographies that list them as albums by Maitreya Kali, alphabetized under "M."

There's a copy on womble's wyrd folk collection as I recall ...

Billy

Re: Apache/Inca by Maitreya Kali

Postby Billy » 12 Jul 2010, 19:18

Oh, needless to say, there's a lot of bumph -- but it's also a great listen ...

der nister

Postby der nister » 12 Jul 2010, 19:53

i figured the Monkees connection would draw some in,

it's a mish mash,

a psych holy grail that kinda delivers.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Billy

Postby Billy » 12 Jul 2010, 19:55

zphage wrote:i figured the Monkees connection would draw some in,

I wonder why it's never been mentioned before here too for many a similar reason ...

Reminds me of an 'authentic' Dimentia 13! :lol:

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 May 2014, 19:08

I missed this thread the first time around, found it while doing a search before starting a new one. I've heard of this for a while, but never heard anything from it until last weekend. A lot of internet reviewers comment on how spooky it is, but I just hear a guy with a guitar, some nice songs, and lots of reverb. Maybe his life story plays into their perception of the music. (The doodles and ramblings on the cover artwork are pretty disturbing, though.) A very sad story - Smith died last year after about four decades of living on the streets in Studio City, near Hollywood. A promising early career, derailed by bad fortune and mental illness. I had written a few thoughts on that subject (including people I know personally), but man, it's just so depressing, so I deleted all that before posting.

Anyway, this is a nice song:

"Quite."

Ralph Paisley

Postby Ralph Paisley » 21 May 2014, 19:18

my lord. Well, it's no Linda Perhacs or Joe Byrd and the Field Hippes, but it has its charms

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2014, 21:16

I just heard it recently, too (aside from the Penny Arkade tracks, which I'd heard before). Interesting, but not something I'm likely to re-listen to all that much.

Craig Smith's story was told in exhaustive detail in a recent issue of... Ugly Things, I think? That, I can recommend.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 25 May 2017, 18:51

I just read Mike Stax' book on Smith, Swim Through The Darkness. Jeez, what a story. That Stax was able to piece so much together through 15 years of detective work was amazing enough. Most of the book focuses on Smith's early life and success, since that was the material he had to work with. Many people came forward to be interviewed, including Mike Nesmith and Michael Storm, a musician on the early '60s folk scene who later found fame as an actor on the soap opera One Life To Live. For reasons made clear in the book, Smith's family declined to participate.

At first glance, he did seem to have everything going for him. He grew up in a show biz family (albeit not a wealthy one), in a house two blocks from the Capitol Records building, and his grandfather Charles Gabriel was also a successful songwriter in his time (he wrote the music to May The Circle Be Unbroken). He was popular, handsome, creative and motivated, and by age 18 was one of the singers on Andy Williams' tv show. He'd written a few songs that were covered by popular artists (The Monkees, Glen Campbell, and two by Andy Williams, one on his perennially best-selling Christmas album), resulting in a jackpot of songwriter royalties by age 22. How did it all go so wrong?

The obvious answers are overuse of LSD, plus a near-fatal beating when he was traveling through the Middle East that caused severe brain trauma. But perhaps those factors only triggered something that was already there. By the early '70s, the music scene of Los Angeles was one genuinely scary place to be.

Knowing that Smith was living on the streets of North Hollywood, and considering how many people I know in that area whom I've frequently visited over the years, I can't help but wonder if I've ever seen him wandering around, just one of the many anonymous homeless people in Los Angeles. Every one of those people has a story, perhaps not as "star-studded" as his, but this being LA, there may be more of those than one would assume.

One case that still haunts me is the guy who used to stand at the end of the Hawthorne Boulevard off-ramp of the 405 freeway in Lawndale. He was clearly in bad shape, and held up a piece of cardboard asking for money. As much as one would love to help, you also have to be concerned for your own safety. I'd either see him at that off-ramp or wandering the streets nearby. This went on for a few months, until one day I saw a giant piece of cardboard taped to the post near where he stood, with the single word "GOODBYE" written in large print. That he had the foresight to find a piece of cardboard to write that out before going off to do whatever he went off to do is something that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Was he another great creative talent? Who cares - he may have been a great medical student, a great junior executive, a great plumber or factory worker, a great father/son, or just a decent person whose own latent psychological troubles got the best of him. And there's always a story, a family left unable to help or even fearful for their own safety. Having known a few people with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, I can say that drug abuse wasn't a factor in their cases. On the occasions when I'd been riding around and the other people in the car with me would make disparaging comments about whatever disheveled individual we saw walking down the street, muttering or loudly yelling at imaginary voices, I've gotten so enraged and given these ignorant fools a quick lesson on mental illness and compassion. You don't have to give them money, but don't laugh at them, and don't think you're above them because you were fortunate enough to escape their fate. Maybe you have a "golden child" of your own, and this could be him or her in ten years. And who knows, live long enough, there's always Alzheimer's around the corner waiting for you. That shuts them up. These people don't tend to share rides with me anymore, for some reason.

Just on the human interest factor alone, this is a riveting book. Life can turn on a dime, in either direction. We can make all the plans we want, but fate has its own plans for us.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 22 May 2018, 17:18

New release of previously unreleased recordings, some as recent as 1994, plus liner notes by his brother:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Is-Our-Exis ... B07B9W8RMB

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 May 2018, 18:38

^^^ Great post from last year, Zoom. I hadn't read it until now.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”