REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 14 Jan 2021, 19:38

C wrote:
The East of Eden album is excellent Dave Arbus almost became a household name with Jig-a-jig and Baba O'Riley.....

I preferred HP to SF

NP

As you know C. I really dislike HP, just can’t stand that shouty blues-rawk stuff pretending to be soulful. Didn’t mind the first couple of albums but they left me behind soon after. Always thought it was significant that they had to go to the U.S. to find an audience.

One thing that they shone at was the regularity at which they produced some of the worst cover art ever.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 Jan 2021, 19:58

NP

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 14 Jan 2021, 20:08

robertff wrote:NP

One of my top 5 "psychedelic" albums of the time

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Jan 2021, 20:16

Haven’t heard this in ages, it’s a really good record. Why didn’t they do more?

It is a good album and a good question

When it was originally released, only 500 pressings were made, making the original vinyl LP extremely rare

LMG wrote:I carelessly remarked that my noisy neighbour deserved a sharp word. [for disturbance]
The next day his semi-naked body was found staked out in his garden, a copy of GG's album cover Giant For A Day situated where his head had previously been attached

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jan 2021, 14:02

It never ceases to impress - consistently wonderful

I'm gonna booglarize you baby...

LMG wrote:I carelessly remarked that my noisy neighbour deserved a sharp word. [for disturbance]
The next day his semi-naked body was found staked out in his garden, a copy of GG's album cover Giant For A Day situated where his head had previously been attached

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Jan 2021, 14:47

slightbreeze wrote:

One of my top 5 "psychedelic" albums of the time

It is pretty good.

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Jan 2021, 14:55

C wrote:It never ceases to impress - consistently wonderful

Good album C. always thought the cover image for this was a little at odds with that kind of freaky image he had, although having said that he was looking pretty sharp on the Safe As Milk and Decals cover as well!

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jan 2021, 18:26

robertff wrote:
C wrote:It never ceases to impress - consistently wonderful

Good album C. always thought the cover image for this was a little at odds with that kind of freaky image he had, although having said that he was looking pretty sharp on the Safe As Milk and Decals cover as well!

I could never work out exactly what was on the vertical right hand side of the cover - a torn up advertising poster....?

Chas will know!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jan 2021, 19:21

Sorry, C - just looks like some white paint to me - some graffiti, perhaps.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 15 Jan 2021, 20:26

it looks to me like one of those posters/bills that just degrades over time, out there and in the elements. it kinda deteriorates to mush before it gets plastered over by sumthin else.

but that's just me.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jan 2021, 20:41

kath wrote:it looks to me like one of those posters/bills that just degrades over time, out there and in the elements. it kinda deteriorates to mush before it gets plastered over by sumthin else.

but that's just me.

That's exactly how I see it but with different words. [and thanks also Chas]

I'm not even sure what he is leaning against - I'm not convinced it's a wall.

It looks like a curved wooden texture like a telegraph pole....

I have thought about this on and off for 50 bloody years [almost!]

I stumbled upon this in my pursuit [of general interest - not pole related!]

http://www.adriandenning.co.uk/beefheart.html

kath

Postby kath » 15 Jan 2021, 21:02

C wrote:
kath wrote:it looks to me like one of those posters/bills that just degrades over time, out there and in the elements. it kinda deteriorates to mush before it gets plastered over by sumthin else.

but that's just me.

That's exactly how I see it but with different words. [and thanks also Chas]

I'm not even sure what he is leaning against - I'm not convinced it's a wall.

It looks like a curved wooden texture like a telegraph pole....

I have thought about this on and off for 50 bloody years [almost!]

I stumbled upon this in my pursuit [of general interest - not pole related!]

http://www.adriandenning.co.uk/beefheart.html

y'all don't have wooden telephone polls in the UK? where lotsa folk post bills and whatnot?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Jan 2021, 21:40

1st 2 albums from a 5 part sequence by The Dear Hunter. They really are very good - must play more often.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Jan 2021, 21:49

Late 2020 release which is ranking highly in lists of new music. Hasn’t quite fully grabbed me yet but pretty impressive. I suppose it just about falls into prog metal but very light metal.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jan 2021, 21:57

Lord Rother wrote: I suppose it just about falls into prog metal but very light metal.

Titanium metal.......?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Jan 2021, 22:06

Could be! Prog is always on the lookout for new sub-genres....

—————

Not prog of any kind but wth - 3 from Elton earlier this week.... (when he wasn’t a bit of a joke).

kath

Postby kath » 15 Jan 2021, 23:16

Lord Rother wrote:Could be! Prog is always on the lookout for new sub-genres....

—————

Not prog of any kind but wth - 3 from Elton earlier this week.... (when he wasn’t a bit of a joke).

tell it, then.

yes.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Jan 2021, 09:40

Robert Fripp and Toyah!

She’s :shock: (Fair play!)

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 Jan 2021, 11:32

A King Crimson ProjeKct, A Scarcity Of Miracles is the debut release from (Jakko) Jakszyk, (Robert) Fripp, and (Mel) Collins.

Featuring a dream rhythm section comprising Gavin Harrison and Tony Levin, ASOM is a sonically rich and detailed collection of surprisingly accessible and heartfelt songs which boasts a seductive, widescreen production.

Echoing elements of King Crimson's unique vocabulary, while presenting a unified group sound far removed from anything previously released under the KC name, A Scarcity Of Miracles manages to be both intimate and epic, complex yet immediate.

Honouring a great band's legacy, whilst undoubtedly taking it somewhere new, ASOM is the Crimson related album your wife and ballad loving friend might just fall in love with!

'One of my favourite albums of those where I am a determining element. It has the Crimson gene, but it is not quite KC.' - Robert Fripp

When Robert Fripp and Jakko Jakszyk got together in February 2009 neither expected that their initial sessions of guitar-only improvisations would result in a full-blown album, or that it would ultimately be deemed to be a King Crimson projeKct. As the material from those first sessions developed it was obviously becoming much wider in scope and scale. The arrival of sax player and former King Crimson member, Mel Collins, added further colour and texture to the emerging songs. The line-up was completed with the addition of bassist Tony Levin and Porcupine Tree's drummer, Gavin Harrison (both members of the 2008 incarnation of King Crimson) adding their parts to the material in their respective studios.

What had begun as an exchange of ideas had now grown into an album of heartfelt songs, an album that is immediately accessible on first hearing but reveals fresh detail and depth with each subsequent play, as one might expect from musicians of this calibre.

With the critical acclaim lavished on the King Crimson 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A releases over the past two years, a sample of '21st Century Schizoid Man' forming the central part of Kanye West's 'Power' single and Robert Fripp's guest appearance on Nick Cave's Grinderman's Super Heathen Child in 2010, cover versions of King Crimson songs featuring on recent recordings by artists as diverse as Jazz singer Kurt Elling and folk music stars The Unthanks, it's fair to say that interest in all things Crimson has probably not been at such a high point for many years.
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Jan 2021, 15:59