REAP CORNER

Do talk back
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby slightbreeze » 01 Jan 2021, 13:24

robertff wrote:
Got an album by Flock somewhere, might just dig it out.

If it's the second album "Dinosaur Swamps", throw away the shovel

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2021, 13:43

slightbreeze wrote:
robertff wrote:

Yes, the eponymous first album is much better than the second....

toomanyhatz wrote:
scrote wrote:honestly, you need to read back some of your posts. it's always about YOU!

Sorry. I'll try to make them more about you.

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 Jan 2021, 16:27

C wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:
robertff wrote:

Yes, the eponymous first album is much better than the second....

This is the one I’ve got, must give a play soon.

NP

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 01 Jan 2021, 18:53

robertff wrote:

You've dodged the bullet, although the debut isn't that brilliant. Take away Goodman's violin, and it's fairly bog standard blues rock. In those days, the look of the band usually gave you a good idea as to what the music was going to sound like.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2021, 20:53

robertff wrote:Image

It's good

toomanyhatz wrote:
scrote wrote:honestly, you need to read back some of your posts. it's always about YOU!

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2021, 20:56

robertff wrote:

Sam Apple Pie.

Now there's a name from the past.

I must have seen them three or four times around 1969-70 - always supporting somebody else

I recall they jammed with Frank Zappa once

toomanyhatz wrote:

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 01 Jan 2021, 21:27

C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:Bob, a sincere question mate:

You listen to tons/tonnes of new albums/bands a week

How on earth do you get to assimilate them and actually decide how robust the material is?

When I was buying new stuff, and I admit that was about 25 years ago, it was essential that I listened to an album half a dozen times before I felt 'qualified' to pass an opinion or make a judgement.

I still play albums that I bought 50 plus years ago and discover something new

For me, there are just not enough hours in the day to play all my old stuff let alone any modern post 90s material

Not really tonnes - possibly 5 or 6 in an average week, but I’ve not checked on numbers.

If it appeals on 1st listen I’ll stick it on one of a couple of rotation playlists - one for bands I don’t know well, another for those I am more familiar with. I will then work through those playlists playing for a 2nd and 3rd time, and sometimes on shuffle.

If they make a mark I will transfer them to one of 2 more permanent playlists that I can return to at anytime; one for stuff I really like, the other for albums I quite enjoyed and would like to hear again sometime but am not totally invested in. The others I will discard and replenish with more new stuff on a rolling basis.

If I was buying the albums I would definitely give more than 2 or 3 listens to make my mind up and I totally get that I will be missing out on great albums that just don’t fully click on 2 or 3 plays, but then with loads of new albums and artists to listen to every week I can live with that. The pleasure in discovering new music outweighs those potential “losses”.

Thanks Bob- all good points, well made...

...and a comprehensive system too!

Where do you hear about all the new releases Bob? I get Prog magazine but it doesn’t cover all the obscure stuff you find!
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2021, 10:53

newprogreleases.blogspot.com is an excellent source often detailing future releases a month or 2 in advance of release date but also filling in gaps from earlier months that only came to their attention after they came out. On average I suppose there’s about 80 albums listed from all over the world for each month. They show the (sub) genre which helps and often have extracts from reviews and links to sites that may have samples of tracks, the band’s Facebook page and also listings of band members and tracks.

Also http://www.progarchives.com with (for me) particular focus on Kev Rowland’s reviews.

http://Www.progressiveears.org is useful although there seems to be a bit too much focus (for me) on Jazz / fusion.

I also find Radio Caroline decent as well - they don’t just play known classics, but also pick tracks from albums that highlight interesting new stuff and older music I am not familiar with although it’s not all prog of course.

robertff

Postby robertff » 02 Jan 2021, 15:09

NP

Brilliant album.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2021, 17:36

I really struggle with them.

In fact, both Rocks and Movin’ On Up are retune the radio songs for me.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jan 2021, 18:03

I really enjoy Echo Dek, the dub version of that album.

And that's the only thing of theirs I really enjoy.

robertff

Postby robertff » 03 Jan 2021, 18:21

WP

NP

Probably the Roxy album I play least of all, don't know why it's pretty good.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 03 Jan 2021, 20:29

Lord Rother wrote:newprogreleases.blogspot.com is an excellent source often detailing future releases a month or 2 in advance of release date but also filling in gaps from earlier months that only came to their attention after they came out. On average I suppose there’s about 80 albums listed from all over the world for each month. They show the (sub) genre which helps and often have extracts from reviews and links to sites that may have samples of tracks, the band’s Facebook page and also listings of band members and tracks.

Also http://www.progarchives.com with (for me) particular focus on Kev Rowland’s reviews.

http://Www.progressiveears.org is useful although there seems to be a bit too much focus (for me) on Jazz / fusion.

I also find Radio Caroline decent as well - they don’t just play known classics, but also pick tracks from albums that highlight interesting new stuff and older music I am not familiar with although it’s not all prog of course.

Thanks Bob.
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jan 2021, 20:35

robertff wrote:WP

Marvellously robust!

toomanyhatz wrote:

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jan 2021, 20:49

Four from today:

How it should have been before the Zappa/Cohen altercation

John Peel reckoned this was one of the Captain's finest albums - I agree. Majestic!

Leslie's first solo album just before Mountain formed. With Felix and ND Smart on tubs who played the Woodstock gig. Some very strong tracks and full of music.

An incredible record - My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama.....!

All have the bounce factor and oooofness by the shed-load

toomanyhatz wrote:

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Jan 2021, 17:05

WP

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Jan 2021, 11:54

I’ve just noticed the 2020 deluxe edition of UFO’s Strangers in the Night.

Granted a very robust album but SIX shows....!!

I recall buying Rory’s Irish Tour which had multi versions of the tour. Four concerts I think. I don’t believe I ever played them all.

Surely for real completists only!

Regarded by many as one of the finest live albums of all time, Strangers in The Night captured UFO at the peak of their powers as a band.The original double album was compiled from recordings made at six shows during in October 1978 on an American tour, which can only be described as a live greatest hits of the band's repertoire.This new 8CD box set includes all 6 complete original concerts for the first time (5 previously unreleased) as well as a newly remastered version of the original album. Four of the shows have been newly mixed from the original tapes. The packaging is a 2-part rigid slipcase, 8 mini-LP style sleeves along with a 24-page booklet containing new sleeve notes by Michael Hann who has interviewed Phil Mogg, Andy Parker and Michael Schenker.

toomanyhatz wrote:

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Jan 2021, 19:01

WP

NP

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Jan 2021, 02:47

Continuing on with my Kevin Ayers/Caravan journey:

Kevin Ayers - Whatevershebringswesing

Third LP by the erstwhile underachiever is every bit as good as the previous two, with even more of a slacker vibe than normal. Nothing offends and all tracks sink in over time. You've got members of Gong, Mike Oldfield, Robert Wyatt, etc. I don't know if I would call this music great, but throwing it on in the background while I do other things around the house is quite pleasurable.

Caravan - If I Could it All Over Again, I'd Do it All Over You

There's the same quality of not talking oneself too seriously that Ayers has, but if the 'songs' aren't really there yet, at least the musicianship is superior. Miles better than their debut and with the added bonus of David Sinclair's keyboards. Not quite as good as the next LP, but they're getting there.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."
-John Coan on the Presidential debate

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Jan 2021, 12:28

Matt Wilson wrote:
Third LP by the erstwhile underachiever is every bit as good as the previous two, with even more of a slacker vibe than normal. Nothing offends and all tracks sink in over time. You've got members of Gong, Mike Oldfield, Robert Wyatt, etc. I don't know if I would call this music great, but throwing it on in the background while I do other things around the house is quite pleasurable.

Caravan - If I Could it All Over Again, I'd Do it All Over You

There's the same quality of not talking oneself too seriously that Ayers has, but if the 'songs' aren't really there yet, at least the musicianship is superior. Miles better than their debut and with the added bonus of David Sinclair's keyboards. Not quite as good as the next LP, but they're getting there.

A great Caravan album

Last edited by C on 06 Jan 2021, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
toomanyhatz wrote: