REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 23 Jul 2020, 20:38

robertff wrote:all that Steve Marriot hollering and wailing just left me cold.

A fair point well made Rob.

The above did make me chuckle out lad though :D

NP

Nancy wrote:My inner child is very hairy, lives in a cave, has a guitar and amplifier and stacks of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, UFO and Deep Purple cranked to 12.

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 Jul 2020, 19:51

What a good outfit they were with Trower's guitar playing and Jimmy Dewar's voice - (as good as Paul Rogers'?) and some cracking great tunes. An underrated outfit if ever there was one.

I wonder if they had had a more interesting name for the band they would have been better appreciated?

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jul 2020, 15:48

robertff wrote:Image

What a good outfit they were with Trower's guitar playing and Jimmy Dewar's voice - (as good as Paul Rogers'?) and some cracking great tunes. An underrated outfit if ever there was one.

I wonder if they had had a more interesting name for the band they would have been better appreciated?

A great album Dewar has indeed a splendid voice

Not sure about the different band name. I assume they were hoping to draw in fans re: the Procol Harum connection. Not sure whether that worked

NP

Nancy wrote:My inner child is very hairy, lives in a cave, has a guitar and amplifier and stacks of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, UFO and Deep Purple cranked to 12.

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Jul 2020, 16:21

C wrote:
robertff wrote:Image

A great album Dewar has indeed a splendid voice

Not sure about the different band name. I assume they were hoping to draw in fans re: the Procol Harum connection. Not sure whether that worked

NP

I can see the connection with the personnel in the band but were they really hoping to persuade people to buy the album with that awful cover? All the effort into making the album and then some moron thinks this cover was a good idea? Potentially, a great outfit demeaned by really poor artwork.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Jul 2020, 20:15

As with most of their albums, heavy, complex, and staying just the right side of dirty vocals.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jul 2020, 22:26

Welcome back Bob.

We have missed you lad

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jul 2020, 22:28

robertff wrote:
NP

I can see the connection with the personnel in the band but were they really hoping to persuade people to buy the album with that awful cover? All the effort into making the album and then some moron thinks this cover was a good idea? Potentially, a great outfit demeaned by really poor artwork.

Agreed Rob

Somebody somewhere thought the BLT pun would sell copies....

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jul 2020, 09:04

Willow Child - Paradise and Nadir

Been stupid busy recently so have tended to go to shuffle play rather than play whole albums but this is one that I saw a recommendation for recently and played it a couple of times last week. Rather good, more psych rock than prog but enough progginess to include here. Can’t find out much about them online unusually....

Last edited by Lord Rother on 26 Jul 2020, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jul 2020, 09:18

Thoughts Factory - Elements

German band’s 2nd album - another one I saw a recommendation for and enjoyed recently. Prog metal with melody.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Jul 2020, 11:45

Lord Rother wrote:

I really enjoyed that

Thanks Bob

NP

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jul 2020, 16:36

WP

NP

Haven't played this in years, remember not being very impressed with it when I first bought it, JA/JS seemed to lose their way by this stage in their career.

Strangely having not heard it for years and hearing it afresh now it sounds fairly reasonable, quite like it in fact. Interesting how you can take a record out of its time and play it with fresh ears and it can sound better than you remember - could be a new thread title in there I guess, might just start one. In its day it sounded rather dull compared to what else was around, a little bland.

Perhaps a little contentious but I never thought Grace Slick had a good voice, think it's quite weak in fact.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 26 Jul 2020, 23:48

Re Grace Slick vocals? Generally, awful. No subtle nuances or warmth in her voice, she's the prototype bellower, who mantle is now being worn by the dreadful Florence.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jul 2020, 11:24

robertff wrote:WP

I haven't heard this. I will rectify that today

As for the Starship album it is adequate. I like Slick's vocals but I wouldn't say she had a great voice.

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jul 2020, 15:44

WP

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jul 2020, 16:22

robertff wrote:WP

NP

Fifty percent ain't bad!

NP

Jean-Luc Ponty -- Violin
Daryl Stuermer -- Guitar
Tom Fowler -- Bass
Allan Zavod -- Keyboards
Steve Smith -- Drums

Three of Zappa's boys

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jul 2020, 19:38

WP

Pretty good album from Joe and his mates, not really much of a fan of JC but this is worthy of a listen.

Really good album by the Purps.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jul 2020, 21:39

Slightly more palatable than the last one but still far too heavy for me. Very proggy with bewildering time changes but noisy chugging guitars and intrusive heavy drums going at a million miles an hour.

Shame, they had a lot of promise early on, but have gone in the wrong direction (for me).

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jul 2020, 22:40

NP

Delightful

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Jul 2020, 19:02

To please Lord Rother, something more recent:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Jul 2020, 21:22

Still 23 years old! :D

Sounded a heck of a lot like Neil Young on the title track.