REAP CORNER

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby LMG » 27 Jun 2020, 10:45

Streetwalkers - Downtown Flyers
Formed from the ashes of Family, this is several steps down, but still enjoyable. Their first album as a band, there was an earlier duo album by Chapman-Witney called Streetwalkers. I got this in a secondhand music shop for the first time last week and it is not on streaming sites, was very pleased with it.

Although at least half the bandmembers in that photo are thinking 'This is our album cover??? Led Zep and ELO can sleep safe in their beds tonight, then, I guess...'

First listen to this album, Jorma Kaukonen Quah - it is great. It keeps coming up on the Prog Synch listen suggestions list but never gets enough votes in the abstruse and complex voting proceedings, so I wrote a little sketch about that, C suggested I should post it here:

LMG Meets Jorma Kaukonen (and vice versa)

C wrote:So kath will have the choice of selecting three next. You can resubmit a 'failed' band as many times as one wants so for example one of Kath's three might be Jorma

I read this and I was thinking what a shame it is that the travel restrictions means suspension of my many ongoing encounters with rock musicians. I would love to bump into Jorma Kaukonen.

I imagine it would go like this... (queue wavy dream lines like in a sitcom)...

[Scene: The Poundland shop in Penge, in the queue]

LMG (addresses customer next to him): Hey! Are you Jorma from Hot Tuna?!!
Jorma: Yes, yeah - you got me...
LMG: That's great! I can never pronounce your name - is it 'Kaka-nan'?
Jorma: No, no, you see it's...
LMG: You won't BELIEVE this - I think of you all the time! You see, there's this music website that came out of Mojo magazine, you read that, right, well some of us get together twice a week on-line and all listen to an album we've chosen and make comments about the music!
Jorma: That is sweet of you. And you all played one of my albums?
LMG: Not exactly. You are what is termed by our organiser a 'failed band or artist', meaning your name keeps coming up week in and week out, but you never get enough votes from the four of us for us to actually choose to play one of your albums. It's why I spotted you - I see your name every single week!
Jorma: Hmmph.
LMG: Yeah - you're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Board Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be. It WILL happen, I reckon, eventually, but do you know how many Black Sabbath albums there are?
Jorma: I know there's a bunch.
LMG: Yeah, it's tough. Nice talking to you, gotta go pay for my hand sanitizer now - Hey - now do you see the Starship guys much lately? 'We Built This City On Rock And Roll' - bet you saw some groupie action way back when THAT was in the charts, hey?
Jorma: Well, you see I wasn't actually...
LMG: Later, Ca-Ca Man! Love Ya!
Last edited by LMG on 28 Jun 2020, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2020, 12:55

WP

Seeing this on a page or so ago on the thread reminded me to give it a spin, long time since I've heard it - quite enjoyable.

Haven't played this one for ages either, also pretty enjoyable.

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jun 2020, 13:34

LMG wrote:Image

First listen to this album, Jorma Kaukonen Quah - it is great. It keeps coming up on the Prog Synch listen suggestions list but never gets enough votes in the abstruse and complex voting proceedings, so I wrote a little sketch about that, C suggested I should post it here:

LMG Meets Jorma Kaukonen (and vice versa)

C wrote:So kath will have the choice of selecting three next. You can resubmit a 'failed' band as many times as one wants so for example one of Kath's three might be Jorma

I read this and I was thinking what a shame it is that the travel restrictions means suspension of my many ongoing encounters with rock musicians. I would love to bump into Jorma Kaukonen.

I imagine it would go like this... (queue wavy dream lines like in a sitcom)...

[Scene: The Poundland shop in Penge, in the queue]

LMG (addresses customer next to him): Hey! Are you Jorma from Hot Tuna?!!
Jorma: Yes, yeah - you got me...
LMG: That's great! I can never pronounce your name - is it 'Kaka-nan'?
Jorma: No, no, you see it's...
LMG: You won't BELIEVE this - I think of you all the time! You see, there's this music website that came out of Mojo magazine, you read that, right, well some of us get together twice a week on-line and all listen to an album we've chosen and make comments about the music!
Jorma: That is sweet of you. And you all played one of my albums?
LMG: Not exactly. You are what is termed by our organiser a 'failed band or artist', meaning your name keeps coming up week in and week out, but you never get enough votes from the four of us for us to actually choose to play one of your albums. It's why I spotted you - I see your name every single week!
Jorma: Hmmph.
LMG: Yeah - you're sort of the Hilary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Board Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be. It WILL happen, I reckon, eventually, but do you know how many Black Sabbath albums there are?
Jorma: I know there's a bunch.
LMG: Yeah, it's tough. Nice talking to you, gotta go pay for my hand sanitizer now - Hey - now do you see the Starship guys much lately? 'We Built This City On Rock And Roll' - bet you saw some groupie action way back when THAT was in the charts, hey?
Jorma: Well, you see I wasn't actually...
LMG: Later, Ca-Ca Man! Love Ya!

Brilliant!

Seminally robust

John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jun 2020, 13:46

Not trying to score a point here, but can I ask, when was the last time you guys played an album by an artist you haven’t listened to before? And if you CAN remember, who was it?

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2020, 14:35

Lord Rother wrote:Not trying to score a point here, but can I ask, when was the last time you guys played an album by an artist you haven’t listened to before? And if you CAN remember, who was it?

This, a couple of weeks ago my friend.

I do buy some music from contemporary artists but more often or not I find it doesn't quite hit the spot and I end up playing it a couple of times and then not. Life span is getting shorter and I find myself preferring to listen to what I really like rather than forcing myself to like something contemporary that I often find to be highly derivative or just plain dull. Also in recent years I've really tapped into veins of music and artists/bands from the 'golden age' that I have never heard before, which has been far more satisfying. Stopped really keeping abreast of music around the early 2000s when it just no longer satisfied, there were exceptions of course. I do keep up with new releases through Record Collector mag and some other outlets and if something is of interest I might splash out but generally speaking it palls.

Also, I'm lucky enough, or not, depending upon your viewpoint, to have a very large music collection which means I can put something on that I haven't heard for years, probably on a daily basis, through to cessation of life. Has to be said I'm planning/hoping for at least another couple of decades of healthy life left but who knows?

We all like what we like don't we?

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jun 2020, 15:13

Lord Rother wrote: when was the last time you guys played an album by an artist you haven’t listened to before?
Never

And if you CAN remember, who was it?

Not applicable

Next

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 27 Jun 2020, 16:44

Lord Rother wrote: when was the last time you guys played an album by an artist you haven’t listened to before?

Ten minutes before the album I am playing now. Also, the album I am playing now.

You see, continuing the Poundland theme of my little sketch, Poundland have many, many albums on CD that I have not heard before - some of them are albums that no one else has heard before, apart from members of the band and some of their family members, tho' some of them might be fibbing.

I was listening to this ten minutes ago:

Great cover, but the music is unspeakable. I would call it insufferable shit, but that is a slur on insufferable shit. It is a film star band - Jay Leno or some such buffoon, so just shows me for not looking it up before chancing my pound.

I really liked this cover too, and this music is much more my thing. I have written 'yeah x 3' on my arm to remind me to get their other albums next time I am in Poundland talking to rock stars.

So for two quid I get a decent album, and some sharp pointy ammunition to throw at next door's cat when it comes in our garden to do its business, plus an attractive wrapping for its turds when I post them through its owner's letterbox, so they can think I am weird and dangerous, which is a correct assumption where their cat is concerned.

I like playing these lockdown quiz games - ask another one.
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jun 2020, 18:09

LMG wrote:

Ten minutes before the album I am playing now. Also, the album I am playing now.

You see, continuing the Poundland theme of my little sketch, Poundland have many, many albums on CD that I have not heard before - some of them are albums that no one else has heard before, apart from members of the band and some of their family members, tho' some of them might be fibbing.

I was listening to this ten minutes ago:

Great cover, but the music is unspeakable. I would call it insufferable shit, but that is a slur on insufferable shit. It is a film star band - Jay Leno or some such buffoon, so just shows me for not looking it up before chancing my pound.

I really liked this cover too, and this music is much more my thing. I have written 'yeah x 3' on my arm to remind me to get their other albums next time I am in Poundland talking to rock stars.

So for two quid I get a decent album, and some sharp pointy ammunition to throw at next door's cat when it comes in our garden to do its business, plus an attractive wrapping for its turds when I post them through its owner's letterbox, so they can think I am weird and dangerous, which is a correct assumption where their cat is concerned.

I like playing these lockdown quiz games - ask another one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NP

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jun 2020, 21:35

Stellar drummer Nick D’Virgilio’s new solo album Invisible.

Pleasant enough but not really doing it for me on 1st listen.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jun 2020, 22:38

C wrote:
Never

Not applicable

Next

Soft lad!

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jun 2020, 22:43

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:
Never

Not applicable

Next

Soft lad!

:lol:

Something 'recent'

NP

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jun 2020, 22:49

:D

Another excellent release from this British band, previously known as Synaesthesia.

Kyros - Celexa Dreams

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Jun 2020, 18:17

Full of music [the sound and picture improves after one minute]

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jun 2020, 18:49

Set up a sync listen for Quah. I'm down.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Jun 2020, 19:46

Matt Wilson wrote:Set up a sync listen for Quah. I'm down.

It could be imminent.

The Illuminati are deciding on the colour of the smoke...

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Jun 2020, 22:00

I had never heard of Quah so looked it up.

Found this very nice and interesting tribute site to Tom Hobson.

http://www.tomhobson.com/

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 28 Jun 2020, 22:18

Lord Rother wrote:I had never heard of Quah so looked it up.

Thanks for the link.

Any chance you could join us for the listen? It's a great album, though you might not find it very prog. Acoustic guitar, vocals, relaxing and life affirming.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 11:46

Lord Rother wrote:I had never heard of Quah so looked it up.

Thanks Bob - interesting stuff

NP

I love this album - such happy stuff

bouncebounceebounce

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Jun 2020, 16:19

Rarely mentioned because of some of its bigger brothers but this is a lovely understated album.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jun 2020, 16:56

robertff wrote:Image

Rarely mentioned because of some of its bigger brothers but this is a lovely understated album.

It's a good album - I will play it NOW!

The Stealer, Be My Friend, Ride On a Pony, Soon I Will be Gone....

ooooof!

NP