REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 20 May 2020, 09:39

I haven't played this for a while - it is a very good album.

Perhaps one for the list...?

robertff wrote:He [Ronnie James Dio] was better than Lee Jackson, I'll give you that and Ronnie Wood

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 May 2020, 19:18

Great album.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 20 May 2020, 20:13

Carlsson wrote:I haven't played this for a while - it is a very good album.

Perhaps one for the list...?

Good with me.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2020, 20:38

robertff wrote:Image

Great album.

Indeed

Possibly my fave of theirs

I played Bayou Country earlier

robertff wrote:He [Ronnie James Dio] was better than Lee Jackson, I'll give you that and Ronnie Wood

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 May 2020, 21:58

I played all the Moon Safari studio albums today.

Lovely stuff.

And The Wake by IQ. Not massively keen on that one.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 May 2020, 22:05

Yesterday I played 4 new albums, all of which warrant further ear time.

FOF = Fish on Friday

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2020, 03:34

Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool
Giant's first live album was released to combat the boots which had been appearing before this album's release (and would proliferate after the band's demise), and is pretty good all things considered. Some overdubbing as is expected with '70s in-concert offerings, and there's nothing from Acquiring the Taste (unless I missed it), but it's going to take some beating if you want a better GG live document.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2020, 09:33

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool

there's nothing from Acquiring the Taste (unless I missed it)

You missed it Matt - but I don't blame you!

The Acquiring the Taste title track is embedded within the "Excerpts of Octopus". It is only about a minute and a half on the studio album - easily missed!

"Excerpts from Octopus (The Boys in the Band/Raconteur Troubadour/Acquiring the Taste/Knots/Ocean Bridge/The Advent of Panurge)"

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2020, 16:12

Yeah, I still don't know the songs well enough to recognize them yet.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2020, 16:56

Gentle Giant - Interview

Opinion seems to differ as to whether this is the beginning of the end or the last good 'un. The sound isn't terribly different from Free Hand so I don't know where the detractors are coming from. And while there may be no truly great songs here, there aren't any duds either. I'd say cut-for-cut, it's on par with most of the previous albums. Progressive rock was no longer in its heyday in 1976, and for Giant to come up with yet another good LP (their eighth) in a year where there were no records by Yes, ELP, Crimson, etc. was no small feat.

It's an excellent album - certainly not the beginning of the end

"I Lost My Head" is a corker amongst others

That was The Missing Piece - a slight change in direction to appease the punk movement and the worry they would lose their fan-base (!) and to try to break into the USA - one last try!

That said TMP is still, to my ears, an excellent album once you are acclimatised to the 'change'

I have mentioned the opener - "Two Weeks in Spain" but there are many other corkers - still with the GG 'brand' but perhaps just less complex.

Matt, the album actually has a direct nod to the punk movement - see if you can identify it...(!!!)

However, it was a mistake - they lost many of their fans BECAUSE they took a different direction

[Great bass from Ray]

robertff

Postby robertff » 21 May 2020, 19:13

WP

Bit of a Who blitz of some of their later stuff, not as great as their earlier stuff but not as bad, particularly 'It's Hard', as some say.

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2020, 21:28

robertff wrote:WP

NP

I have that Furs album- pretty robust I recall

the last decent Creedence album - what a great band!

NP

oooof!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2020, 23:52

U.K.

Cool little proggy album from 1978, when things were supposedly slowing down in the progressive rock world. Perhaps the last great 'supergroup' in the genre briefly had Bill Bruford, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson & Allan Holdsworth. Even Zappa's Terry Bozzio would eventually play with the band. I've only heard this one LP but they continued for a few more.

Gong - You

Stephen recommends these guys and to be honest, I've never paid them much attention. But it's actually pretty good proggy psych from the mid seventies, especially the suite of songs from "Master Builder" through "The Isle of Everywhere."

Steve Hillage - L
Whoever sent me the Gong CDs years ago also included this little gem. It's almost as good as You really.

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 May 2020, 16:06

U.K.

Cool little proggy album from 1978, when things were supposedly slowing down in the progressive rock world. Perhaps the last great 'supergroup' in the genre briefly had Bill Bruford, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson & Allan Holdsworth. Even Zappa's Terry Bozzio would eventually play with the band. I've only heard this one LP but they continued for a few more.

Gong - You

Stephen recommends these guys and to be honest, I've never paid them much attention. But it's actually pretty good proggy psych from the mid seventies, especially the suite of songs from "Master Builder" through "The Isle of Everywhere."

Steve Hillage - L
Whoever sent me the Gong CDs years ago also included this little gem. It's almost as good as You really.

Three excellent albums!

Bozzio is on the second ULK album Danger Money (with Eddie Jobson and John Wetton) - they only made two studio albums

The Hillage album is superb

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 May 2020, 22:11

NP [I love this band {before they imploded}]

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 May 2020, 11:01

WP

NP

Really like these jazzy/gentle blues albums of Mayall's.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2020, 12:09

robertff wrote:WP

Really like these jazzy/gentle blues albums of Mayall's.

Indeed. With the late, great Sugarcane Harris on violin

Full of music

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2020, 22:41

Matt - I stumbled over this and thought of you.

It's not very exciting - in fact I only watched a couple of minutes - but anyway, perhaps of some interest

Good Night Dallas, Texas

Postby Good Night Dallas, Texas » 23 May 2020, 23:27

NP

Excellent but runs out of steam side 2 & i miss the vocals

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2020, 03:02

Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece

The "missing piece" in their career was presumably a hit, which this little LP wasn't going to give them. It's not bad - I mean it sounds like Giant. But the knack for writing commercial songs which would go over with the public was beyond these guys. I like "Two Weeks in Spain" and "For Nobody" well enough, but they're not great GG songs. Stephen wanted me to look out for their punk concession which is most surely "Betcha Thought We Couldn't do It." Again, it's not lousy per se, just beneath them.