REAP CORNER

Do talk back
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby Neil Jung » 13 May 2020, 22:01

Lord Rother wrote:I had a Steven Wilson afternoon....

Grace for Drowning

The Raven That Refused to Sing

4 1/2

And of course, Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Oh, and Cover Version

Excellent although I’m by no means convinced by what I’ve heard on Cover Version. Do you like it?
PS I didn’t know it contained 6 new songs. Any good?
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 13 May 2020, 22:05

Carlsson wrote:
There was just no way the radio was going to play that.

Well Matt, that is what they were hoping, and breaking into the USA, with the last three albums

Not wanting to spoil your sequence here's a sample:

[which I love incidentally]

Notice the haircuts!

Turning Around got a bit of UK radio play. I even bought the single, probably because I thought it sounded a bit like Genesis.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 May 2020, 02:59

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Took a break from my GG marathon today to continue my exploration of Genesis in 5.1. This one is my favorite as I've mentioned before. The lyrics still mean almost nothing to me. Gabriel's brand of Englishness is fun in a quaint way but I usually just concentrate on the music when listening. I love his voice though, and would rather hear him sing than Jon Anderson or even Ian Anderson - Peter's only real competition as prog frontmen in the '70s. This is a really long album and maybe we could've lost Phil's song, but I'm not complaining. "The Battle Of Epping Forest" still has issues with too many words and not enough musical passages, but I'm not bothered by that as there's plenty of long instrumental sections in these songs usually dominated by Tony Banks' atmospheric solos.

Their best? Probably. Either this or Foxtrot. I'll revisit Lamb next week and see if a reassessment is in order.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 14 May 2020, 06:22

Neil Jung wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
Oh, and Cover Version

Excellent although I’m by no means convinced by what I’ve heard on Cover Version. Do you like it?
PS I didn’t know it contained 6 new songs. Any good?

I do like it yes, but I don’t love it.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 May 2020, 15:04

A bit of broad church prog this afternoon in the shape of these gems:

robertff wrote:He [Ronnie James Dio] was better than Lee Jackson, I'll give you that and Ronnie Wood

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 May 2020, 19:14

WP

NP

4 great albums worthy of Prog Corner under the broad church banner, all of them noteworthy and interesting to listen to.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 May 2020, 19:44

robertff wrote:WP

NP

4 great albums worthy of Prog Corner under the broad church banner, all of them noteworthy and interesting to listen to.

Indeed

I have two them and loads of JAMC so probably have the top one in some form also

The Colosseum debut is an absolute corker

RIP Dick, Jon

NP

What a corker this is?!

robertff wrote:He [Ronnie James Dio] was better than Lee Jackson, I'll give you that and Ronnie Wood

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 May 2020, 20:35

Got this CD when I acquired the latest release last week.

Very consistent band, another good album.

Pendragon - Men Who Climb Mountains

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 May 2020, 20:41

Lord Rother wrote:Got this CD when I acquired the latest release last week.

What do you think of the cover...?

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 May 2020, 20:59

The full version of Sound-Up Ford (which then goes into Bullfrog Blues) from the Old Grey Whistle Test 1976.

The original broadcast faded out during Ford but they continued to play on for another 13 minutes - 'never seen before' footage

What energy?

RIP Rory, Rod and Lou - thanks for the music and memories

[try to watch Bullfrog too]

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 May 2020, 21:31

Bodkin, a Scottish band that released one album in 1972 and then was apparently heard no more. An original copy is selling for over $6,000 on Discogs right now! :shock:
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 May 2020, 23:19

Carlsson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Got this CD when I acquired the latest release last week.

What do you think of the cover...?

Not a fan!

Their covers have generally been really good, but that one definitely put me off. Daft that a cover has that impact really, but it creates an impression that leaves an imprint.

Same with band names. Big Big Train put me off for a couple of years!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 May 2020, 00:59

Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory

Mas Giant in another great year for prog (1974 - Relayer, Lamb, Red, Mirage,Journey to the Centre, etc). Their sound is streamlined by this time and there's even some funk elements to the bass and drums. The layered vocals are still exotic-sounding to me, but I'm used to them. The 45 "The Power and the Glory" is included as a bonus track. I'd love to hear Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix of this album with the animation included. One day, I'll get it!

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 May 2020, 10:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Image

Mas Giant in another great year for prog (1974 - Relayer, Lamb, Red, Mirage,Journey to the Centre, etc). Their sound is streamlined by this time and there's even some funk elements to the bass and drums. The layered vocals are still exotic-sounding to me, but I'm used to them. The 45 "The Power and the Glory" is included as a bonus track. I'd love to hear Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix of this album with the animation included. One day, I'll get it!

How did you rate this one compared to the others Matt?
Did you find it less accessible?

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 May 2020, 11:03

Carlsson wrote:
robertff wrote:WP

Indeed

I have two them and loads of JAMC so probably have the top one in some form also

The Colosseum debut is an absolute corker

RIP Dick, Jon.

Didn't have you down as liking the JAMC C. Which of the 4 didn't you have - Blur?

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 May 2020, 13:55

WP

Broad church for Brian Wilson's solo backing band but Richard Thompson needs no excuse to be here.

NP

Has RT ever made a bad album?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 May 2020, 16:35

Carlsson wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image

How did you rate this one compared to the others Matt?
Did you find it less accessible?

At first, but by the second time listening to it, I realized that despite the somewhat dense music, it's more or less in line with what they've done before. As you said earlier, one has to spend some time with this music. They're almost deliberately difficult, obtuse, etc. Yet, the licks and riffs are there if one has patience. So far it's all pretty good. I don't even know which of their albums I like the best. Probably either the second or third one.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 15 May 2020, 22:22

Re-introducing the concept of music with melody to the thread. Amongst other albums today, these 2 stood out:

Big Big Train - Grimspound

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 May 2020, 23:28

robertff wrote:Didn't have you down as liking the JAMC C. Which of the 4 didn't you have - Blur?

I like a bit of noise me.

I saw them live once

I have the first four

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2020, 07:31

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The last album on the 1970 - 1975 box set is fantastic! The SACD has impeccable surround sound, and the DVD has all the pictures which were projected on the screens behind the band while they performed the LP live. While I still find the record to be a bit dense and some of the songs are in service of the story line, it's still a prog classic worthy of attention. Have I become a Genesis fanatic? Probably, at least the Gabriel-era anyway.