REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: PG1: Lord Rother, pb, never/ever, slightbreeze, trans chigley express, robertff, ConnyOlivetti, Hightea, kath, Snarf

Postby robertff » 29 Dec 2019, 11:24

Been playing these three little gems over the last day or so.

Image Image Image

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: PG1: Lord Rother, pb, never/ever, slightbreeze, trans chigley express, robertff, ConnyOlivetti, Hightea, kath, Snarf

Postby LMG » 29 Dec 2019, 12:16

slightbreeze wrote:
LMG wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Indeed, although I'm not familiar with Unicorn. Always thought Brinsley were vastly underrated

Unicorn were 'discovered' by the Floyd's David Gilmour playing at a wedding reception. He invited them to record some demos in his studio and helped them get a deal on Harvest/Charisma/Capitol.

Gilmour played pedal steel guitar on several of the Unnicorn albums, recorded a cover of their song 'There's No Way Out Of Here' on his debut solo album, and used them as backing musicians for early Kate Bush demos.

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/orphans-part-1/unicorn/

Thanks for that, but, are they any good?

I like 'em. Maybe an acquired taste? I honestly believe the first side of Blue Pine Trees is just about perfect, and after that they only sometimes hit those peaks.

It is sort of Firefall-like soft country rock, saved from blandness by the introduction of incongruous Britishisms and some top notch songwriting (which as noted was not consistent).
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Dec 2019, 13:06

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: PG2: pcqgod, C, Neil Jung, soundchaser, John aka Josh, NMB, Jeemo, Huw, Yomptepi, The Slider

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Dec 2019, 10:34

New to me, track showed upon a Spotify playlist based on the Unicorn album a couple of days ago.

Never heard of him before but this is really nice folk from 1970, from the John Martyn, Kevin Ayers, Roy Harper school. Still performing well into his 70s.

Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor.

C
Robust

Re: PG2: pcqgod, C, Neil Jung, soundchaser, John aka Josh, NMB, Jeemo, Huw, Yomptepi, The Slider

Postby C » 30 Dec 2019, 11:25

Lord Rother wrote:Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor.

The lad's best album in my opinion although the one before Rainmaker and the one after Window are almost as good

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 30 Dec 2019, 12:56

robertff wrote:Been playing these three little gems over the last day or so.

Image Image Image

They look great albums: enjoy them.

My children clubbed together and bought me the Pink Floyd Later Years box set for Christmas.

Lots of stuff there for me to dig into, as I’m a big fan of this era. Well, all Pink Floyd eras, of course.

Purgatory Shite

Postby Purgatory Shite » 30 Dec 2019, 13:24

NP

Broad church

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Dec 2019, 16:50

Not a patch on the debut but it has its moments.

Only Peter and Graham left from the original line-up

robertff

Postby robertff » 30 Dec 2019, 19:24

soundchaser wrote:
robertff wrote:Been playing these three little gems over the last day or so.

Image Image Image

They look great albums: enjoy them.

My children clubbed together and bought me the Pink Floyd Later Years box set for Christmas.

Lots of stuff there for me to dig into, as I’m a big fan of this era. Well, all Pink Floyd eras, of course.

I really like these great little sets and there's loads of stuff on there that I've never heard before, let alone even heard of. Steered clear of the Floyd sets, got all their albums and a few other bits and pieces so that'll do me. As you said, enjoy.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 31 Dec 2019, 04:38

Yo La Tengo - Eight Nite of Hanukkah - Venus in Furs cover with Laurie Anderson

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 31 Dec 2019, 07:38

robertff wrote:Steered clear of the Floyd sets, got all their albums and a few other bits and pieces so that'll do me. As you said, enjoy.

I take your point, but I was pleased to receive this set, because of the blu-ray of Delicate Sound Of Thunder, which has never seen a DVD release and my VHS copy is, of course, obsolete. Also blu-rays of Venice & Knebworth from the same era. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, has had a complete makeover and sounds incredible. But yeah, it's for fanboys only, but seeing as how i am one,,, :D.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 31 Dec 2019, 12:53

Happy New Year, from me...and Rush!

C
Robust

Postby C » 31 Dec 2019, 17:42

I love a bit of Creedence me

robertff

Postby robertff » 31 Dec 2019, 18:05

C wrote:I love a bit of Creedence me

Me too C. Happy New Year.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 31 Dec 2019, 18:53

C wrote:Image

Not a patch on the debut but it has its moments

The debut had moments, this one had a moment (when the needle left the record )

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2020, 12:06

slightbreeze wrote:The debut had moments, this one had a moment (when the needle left the record )

:lol:

NP

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2020, 20:50

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 01 Jan 2020, 22:34

Lord Rother wrote:New to me, track showed upon a Spotify playlist based on the Unicorn album a couple of days ago.

Never heard of him before but this is really nice folk from 1970, from the John Martyn, Kevin Ayers, Roy Harper school. Still performing well into his 70s.

Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor.

I saw him early last year. He was excellent.

Of course Mick Ronson plays lead guitar on Fully Qualified Survivor.
The house that Clete’s musician friend had told him about was a sun-faded pink art deco place stuck back in a cove where a desiccated shrimp boat lay on its side in a slough overgrown with vines and palm and persimmon trees.

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Jan 2020, 13:10

Time to do the Stanley

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jan 2020, 13:27

Start the year with a classic....