REAP CORNER

Do talk back
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby soundchaser » 19 Nov 2020, 06:52

robertff wrote:WP

One of my favourite bands and this was a very creditable comeback. I enjoy the album a lot.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 19 Nov 2020, 06:59

robertff wrote:Image

Pathfinders for heavy rock/metal, Indian drone and social commentary.

Progressive? I think so. Love the Kinks.

Gotta love The Kinks and that’s a very nice looking boxset. A friend of mine is Kinks mad and gets hold of whatever he can. A few years ago, I borrowed his CDs and collected a load of songs to together, from say, The Carnaby Street mid-sixties era and made a nice imaginary double vinyl album (two CDs). It was a nice companion piece to Face To Face and Something Else. Came out well.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 19 Nov 2020, 09:45

soundchaser wrote:

One of my favourite bands and this was a very creditable comeback. I enjoy the album a lot.

Indeed. Blur get a lot of stick on this site, mainly unjustified

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 Nov 2020, 10:04

slightbreeze wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

Indeed. Blur get a lot of stick on this site, mainly unjustified

Would definitely agree with you, they consistently made some excellent music.

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 Nov 2020, 10:12

soundchaser wrote:
robertff wrote:Image

Pathfinders for heavy rock/metal, Indian drone and social commentary.

Progressive? I think so. Love the Kinks.

Gotta love The Kinks and that’s a very nice looking boxset. A friend of mine is Kinks mad and gets hold of whatever he can. A few years ago, I borrowed his CDs and collected a load of songs to together, from say, The Carnaby Street mid-sixties era and made a nice imaginary double vinyl album (two CDs). It was a nice companion piece to Face To Face and Something Else. Came out well.

It is a really nice set, bought it some time ago when it was going very cheaply, mixture of all the best stuff, interesting demos and odds and ends. Packaging is very good as well.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Nov 2020, 18:15

What an absolute corker of an album

NP

It heavily influenced this corker

WP

soundchaser wrote:Very nice indeed [Levitation boxset], C’s mate Ginger Baker tubbing it out with full gusto.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Nov 2020, 09:42

NP

What a seminally robust album this is .

Ironically, despite the title, an instrumental album ['arf!]

A sample track for Bob and the others:

soundchaser wrote:Very nice indeed [Levitation boxset], C’s mate Ginger Baker tubbing it out with full gusto.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 20 Nov 2020, 10:13

C wrote:What an absolute corker of an album

NP

Probably my least favourite of the classic run.

I don’t think the melodies are that great compared to what came before or after, but, Man, that synthesiser!

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Nov 2020, 13:25

soundchaser wrote:
C wrote:What an absolute corker of an album

NP

I don’t think the melodies are that great compared to what came before or after, but, Man, that synthesiser!

Agreed but that's what makes is so attractive.

The 'discordant' make up of some of the tracks, to my ears, is delightful

NP

Little Big Band (Live at Marquee Club 1971)

A very good live album

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 20 Nov 2020, 15:02

I never knew that this existed.

Lovin' it.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Nov 2020, 21:16

C wrote:Bob - post us up the best track from the best album you've listed today please.

Thanks

Only just seen your request....

Hard to narrow it down, but I love this.

They were still at school (in Kent) when they initially wrote and performed this.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 21 Nov 2020, 00:21

Lord Rother wrote:
C wrote:Bob - post us up the best track from the best album you've listed today please.

Thanks

Only just seen your request....

Hard to narrow it down, but I love this.

They were still at school (in Kent) when they initially wrote and performed this.

Enjoyed that very much, shall try the rest of the album/ep tomorrow.

Thanks!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Nov 2020, 03:52

Colosseum - Those Who Are About to Die Salute You

The UK's premier jazz fusion band of the late '60s/early '70s (?) debuted with this little platter in '69. You get Graham Bond alum, a "Whiter Shade of Pale" rip off, and some fairly good (but not great) tracks like "Walking in the Park," "Plenty Hard Luck," and the John Mayall-derived "Debut." I've had a CD-R of this LP for years but decided to get the remaster with bonus tracks in an effort to appreciate it more. It didn't work. Still, not bad...

Greenslade - Spyglass Guest

This is more to my taste. Proper prog without the jazz leanings. Dave Greenslade went from the ashes of Colosseum to this band, co-keyboarding with Dave Lawson. Plenty of instrumentals (their forte, actually), a good rendition of the Bruce/Brown chestnut "Theme for an Imaginary Western," and some fine tunes like "Spirit of the Dance," "Little Red Fry Up," "Siam Seesaw," "Joie de Vivre," and "Melancholic Race." A great bonus disc of BBC sessions with a mind-blowing version of "Sundance" adds to the enjoyment. Almost reminds me of Camel sometimes.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."
-John Coan on the Presidential debate

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Nov 2020, 09:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Colosseum - Those Who Are About to Die Salute You

The UK's premier jazz fusion band of the late '60s/early '70s (?) debuted with this little platter in '69. You get Graham Bond alum, a "Whiter Shade of Pale" rip off, and some fairly good (but not great) tracks like "Walking in the Park," "Plenty Hard Luck," and the John Mayall-derived "Debut." I've had a CD-R of this LP for years but decided to get the remaster with bonus tracks in an effort to appreciate it more. It didn't work. Still, not bad...

This is more to my taste. Proper prog without the jazz leanings. Dave Greenslade went from the ashes of Colosseum to this band, co-keyboarding with Dave Lawson. Plenty of instrumentals (their forte, actually), a good rendition of the Bruce/Brown chestnut "Theme for an Imaginary Western," and some fine tunes like "Spirit of the Dance," "Little Red Fry Up," "Siam Seesaw," "Joie de Vivre," and "Melancholic Race." A great bonus disc of BBC sessions with a mind-blowing version of "Sundance" adds to the enjoyment. Almost reminds me of Camel sometimes.

I love the debut Colosseum album - Heckstall-Smith and Hiseman are both heroes of mine.

A reasonable assessment Matt if but a bit harsh.

As for Greenslade, I never thought they were as good as they should have been.

For me the vocals are weak (he's no Lee Jackson - sadly) and many of the songs are not that strong.

You've picked their best album though

As for other ex-Colosseum members - don't forget James Litherland who played with John Wetton on the only and only Mogul Thrash album.

It is most excellent

NP

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Nov 2020, 10:32

Matt Wilson wrote:

Never really got into Greenslade, but taking a listen to this one now. Not bad at all. Nice 2nd Division prog.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Nov 2020, 14:28

The follow up to the sublime eponymous debut from the southern rockers.

Thing is this second album is much more mellow and country - think Flying Burritos, Poco or Manassas

It's a very nice album, I have always enjoyed it but one must not expect a Green Grass part 2 laden-filled album!

Now playing

This rocks though [I think there is a clue in the title of the track!]

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Nov 2020, 20:32

Mariusz Douda, leader of Polish band Riverside, has this side project called Lunatic Soul. I’ve tried a couple of albums before and they have veered strongly towards ambient which doesn’t appeal to me at all. He has admitted that he may need a little reset as he has found that the 2 bands are getting much closer in sound which was never his intention. Riverside started heavy and some growling but have got more melodic and less heavy, (probably in part brought about by the impact of guitarist Piotr’s sad and sudden death 3 or 4 years ago) whereas Lunatic Soul was very much the other end of the spectrum. This was released recently so thought I’d give it a go and see whether it was drifting into my territory.... well it IS, but still didn’t really appeal all that much.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Nov 2020, 21:22

Finnish band Kingston Wall’s 3rd and final album. Shortly after it’s release in the mid 90s the leader, Petri Walli aged 26, climbed to the top of a church tower in Helsinki and jumped.

For me it’s nowhere near as good as its predecessor but has some excellent guitar throughout. Possibly just a bit too acid for my tastes.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Nov 2020, 21:33

Lord Rother wrote:

Thanks Bob - that was very nice. Thanks for posting

NP

This is an excellent album

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Nov 2020, 09:07

C wrote:The follow up to the sublime eponymous debut from the southern rockers.

Thing is this second album is much more mellow and country - think Flying Burritos, Poco or Manassas

It's a very nice album, I have always enjoyed it but one must not expect a Green Grass part 2 laden-filled album!

Now playing

This rocks though [I think there is a clue in the title of the track!]

Oh yes, a Big Big Train. Nice.

Sad to say I had never heard of them - but I must say this is good. Have added the 1st 2 albums to my work drive playlist.