Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - A BCB Appreciation Thread

Do talk back
Balboa

Re: Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - A BCB Appreciation Thread

Postby Balboa » 09 May 2010, 11:08

:) I love this place.

It's incredible that there is so much good quality bootleg stuff. Versus Yes, or whoever.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 May 2010, 11:12

Listening to the boot of Dallas '77 now...the Lamb-tracks don't particular stand out on it like on the integral boots of the gigs I heard before but damn if they aren't fantastic.

Echo the sentiments though that I wish I was around when this amazing music was played live.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Revolver

Postby Revolver » 09 May 2010, 17:12

I think all round Pittsburgh is the best boot I've heard. Lyceum is superb but I think that comes from a radio braodbast deosn't it?

Uptown Theatre Chicago is another top notch recording from 78. That might have been off radio too.

If a REALLY good recording from Milton Keynes 82 ever emerged I'd pay good money for that. ALl the ones I've ever heard have been pretty ropey.

That was the best atmostphere at a gig I've ever experienced, or ever will , barring John and George making an unexpected reappearance.

The reaction when Peter came out and launched into Back In NYC was indescribable.

Slim

Postby Slim » 09 May 2010, 18:16

yomptepi wrote:
Slim wrote:I remembered that PG did re-record some of the vocals. I had the archive box once (unfortunately now lost due to circumstances). The notes were very good I seem to recall and explained the situation .

The archive box is on the genesis set I sent, with that awful overdubbed concert. I find it very hard to listed to with that double tracked vocal track.

That's the disc I'm refering to.
You've made a happy man very old

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 May 2010, 18:27

The wonder of the live "Lamb", which I saw at the Liverpool Empire, was the sheer presence of Gabriel. He held the audience in the palm of his hand. However, he had a fairly easy ride, as his bandmates sat on stools throughout, studiously looking at their effects pedals. They made Supertramp look adventurous. The irony about them complaining about Gabriel distracting from the music ....... without him, they might as well have never toured.

Slim

Postby Slim » 09 May 2010, 19:02

slightbreeze wrote:The wonder of the live "Lamb", which I saw at the Liverpool Empire, was the sheer presence of Gabriel. He held the audience in the palm of his hand.

Small audiences at the Liverpool Empire then? :D

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 09 May 2010, 19:12

Slim wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:The wonder of the live "Lamb", which I saw at the Liverpool Empire, was the sheer presence of Gabriel. He held the audience in the palm of his hand.

Small audiences at the Liverpool Empire then? :D

No, he just had VERY big hands

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 09 May 2010, 21:48

The Slider wrote:These are the boots I included:
1971 La ferme
1971/2 BBC Sessions
Watford 1972
The Complete Genesis Live - 73
Selling England by the Sessions
The Roxy 1973
New York 1974
Montreal 1974
Liverpool 1975
Trick of the Tail Outtakes
Buffalo 1976
Pittsburg 76
Hammersmith 76
The Rainbow 1977
Sao Paolo 1977
Zurich 1977
Southampton 1977
Dijon 1978
Capital Radio Interviews 1980
Drury Lane 1980
The Lyceum 1980
Frankfurt 1981
Milton Keynes 1982
The Marquee 1982
Philidelphia 1983
Wembley 1987
Knebworth 1992
Twickenham 2007

I see this after I buy the pricey Genesis box set. :(

I guess I need to hang out in the cough section more often.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 May 2010, 03:54

Sunfighter wrote:The reaction when Peter came out and launched into Back In NYC was indescribable.

I can't even imagine what that must have been like. :o
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Revolver

Postby Revolver » 11 May 2010, 09:40

Six String wrote:
Sunfighter wrote:The reaction when Peter came out and launched into Back In NYC was indescribable.

I've probably ranted about this on another thread at some point, but it bears repeating.

After a very long wait (and being rained on since 9am that morning) at 7pm the lights went down and the band shuffled on in the dark. Phil/Chester started the kick drum intro from In The Cage/Back in NYC, which went on a short while.

After a few seconds, 6 pall bears came out carrying a coffin. They put it down and out climbed Peter, in full Rael regalia.

A few seconds later he belted out the immortal words "I see faces and traces of home"....

The crowd went absolutely mental. And I mean mental.

I've never experienced anything like it and I get goose bumps thinking about it even now. And the rest of the gig was just as incredible. An absolutely amazing set list, and Hackett for good measure.

Slim

Postby Slim » 11 May 2010, 19:18

Jeff K wrote:
The Slider wrote:These are the boots I included:
1971 La ferme
1971/2 BBC Sessions
Watford 1972
The Complete Genesis Live - 73
Selling England by the Sessions
The Roxy 1973
New York 1974
Montreal 1974
Liverpool 1975
Trick of the Tail Outtakes
Buffalo 1976
Pittsburg 76
Hammersmith 76
The Rainbow 1977
Sao Paolo 1977
Zurich 1977
Southampton 1977
Dijon 1978
Capital Radio Interviews 1980
Drury Lane 1980
The Lyceum 1980
Frankfurt 1981
Milton Keynes 1982
The Marquee 1982
Philidelphia 1983
Wembley 1987
Knebworth 1992
Twickenham 2007

I see this after I buy the pricey Genesis box set. :(

I guess I need to hang out in the cough section more often.

Know what you mean.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 May 2010, 23:32

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVZBio8NJNs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVZBio8NJNs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 May 2010, 23:33

The Rokster wrote:[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVZBio8NJNs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVZBio8NJNs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

dick!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 May 2010, 23:35

;)

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 18 May 2010, 21:30

“Erratic associate member”

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 May 2010, 00:42

Sunfighter wrote:
Six String wrote:

I've probably ranted about this on another thread at some point, but it bears repeating.

After a very long wait (and being rained on since 9am that morning) at 7pm the lights went down and the band shuffled on in the dark. Phil/Chester started the kick drum intro from In The Cage/Back in NYC, which went on a short while.

After a few seconds, 6 pall bears came out carrying a coffin. They put it down and out climbed Peter, in full Rael regalia.

A few seconds later he belted out the immortal words "I see faces and traces of home"....

The crowd went absolutely mental. And I mean mental.

Thanks for that. I got goose bumps just reading this. :D

I've never experienced anything like it and I get goose bumps thinking about it even now. And the rest of the gig was just as incredible. An absolutely amazing set list, and Hackett for good measure.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Jan 2017, 15:38

I’ve disliked – and hated - most things I’ve heard by Genesis but I’m starting to really enjoy this album. Bar a few passages it’s not particularly “proggy” which helps. It’s got the technical chops you associate with the genre but it’s subtle, not showy off, the dodgy time signatures are kept in check and the musicianship serves the songs – which are pretty straightforward - by and large. A few awkward moments jump out but nothing that capsizes the boat. The concept is, of course, absolutely fucking ridiculous and arcane. I’m not one for lyrics anyway but trying to follow its byzantine twists and turns and oblique references leaves me scratching my head completely. You’ve got some kid called Rael who travels to some kind of underworld of the subconscious, right? It’s like Tommy crossed with Voyage to Arcturus or something. I dunno, it’s pretentious nonsense really and the silliest thing about it. People might call it dreamlike which is often a cop out in these circumstances but it has a certain validity here however. It doesn’t make sense but it doesn’t need to really. It works as some kind of extended occult piece, something to get lost in.

The ending is odd. Like pulling the rug from underneath the audiences feet. I’m not sure what I think about it. The whole fucking thing is very odd. I like that about it.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Jan 2017, 16:17

Rael is dead. He gets killed by a car ( fly on a windshield) and then goes through all the processes of being dismantled, mentally and physically. It is a journey through Limbo,where he is stripped on his manhood and his identity. It doesn't really attempt to ties the story up, preferring instead to make a joke of the whole thing ( it). The melodies are incredible though, and some of the best drumming ever committed to tape.
You don't like me...do you?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Jan 2017, 16:23

Well that's just bollocks
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

algroth

Postby algroth » 05 Jan 2017, 17:05

Goat Boy wrote:I’ve disliked – and hated - most things I’ve heard by Genesis but I’m starting to really enjoy this album. Bar a few passages it’s not particularly “proggy” which helps. It’s got the technical chops you associate with the genre but it’s subtle, not showy off, the dodgy time signatures are kept in check and the musicianship serves the songs – which are pretty straightforward - by and large. A few awkward moments jump out but nothing that capsizes the boat. The concept is, of course, absolutely fucking ridiculous and arcane. I’m not one for lyrics anyway but trying to follow its byzantine twists and turns and oblique references leaves me scratching my head completely. You’ve got some kid called Rael who travels to some kind of underworld of the subconscious, right? It’s like Tommy crossed with Voyage to Arcturus or something. I dunno, it’s pretentious nonsense really and the silliest thing about it. People might call it dreamlike which is often a cop out in these circumstances but it has a certain validity here however. It doesn’t make sense but it doesn’t need to really. It works as some kind of extended occult piece, something to get lost in.

The ending is odd. Like pulling the rug from underneath the audiences feet. I’m not sure what I think about it. The whole fucking thing is very odd. I like that about it.

I reckon the story is best understood as something of a glammed-up Alice in Wonderland. But I do agree that it is better to not worry about piecing it all together and understanding it more as imagery for effect and so on. There are scenes for me that work beautifully in conjuction to the music, and that is all that is needed to have me picturing it all in my mind as best I can and get just a little more lost in it all. "The Lamia" in particular works great in this sense to me.

I feel Genesis at their best can be roughly summed up with what you wrote above too. They're a really good pop band with some great tunes, and in their peak knew how to put their musicianship in service of a song or an effect more so than playing for academicism's sake. "Supper's Ready" is if anything about five or six great straightforward pop songs bundled up together with little fat or excess between. Then again, I do speak from the perspective of a fan. :D

Return to “Yakety Yak”