31%

Total votes: 68

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Beatles songs no 4: The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bil

Postby LeBaron » 30 Apr 2010, 17:17

I have a mild dislike for the song.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Apr 2010, 17:24

Thesiger wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Its great, fantastic, fab etc etc

Just because its fun, doesn't mean its a lesser track and certainly skewers its intended victim.

It's very average indeed. And it's got Yoko on it.

And as for 'skewering' victims, exactly who did it skewer (and who cares anyway)?

Well is kinda obvious isnt it?

He's the all American bullet-headed saxon mother's son.

Rich upper class twatish American collegiate Mommys boys who spend their summer hols in India shooting fucking Tigers!

- and if you want to take it to another level - hunters in general, people with no regard for animals or wildlife in general, or the destruction of life in general - ya know?

and who cares anyway?
Beatles fans, Tigers , hippies, music critics, John, not you, me ?

Oenyaw

Postby Oenyaw » 30 Apr 2010, 17:54

I absolutely love Yoko's contribution to this song.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Apr 2010, 18:20

Quaco wrote:Or alternately, that some people give other bands more credit for creating good music than others do ...

I can see both sides. "Bungalow Bill" is nothing compared to classic stuff by great bands (including The Beatles), but really, if The Black Crowes or Blur or Oasis (to name but three) came up with something this good, I'd be shocked. It has a kind of immediacy and melodicism (even though it doesn't come across as super-melodic) that would really stand out in their catalogue. And imagine if a local band did something like this -- everybody in the room would come up to them afterward and tell them they really liked that one.

I can't agree at all. C'mon there's nothing musically sophisticated here, no melodic genius that would be beyond the grasp of mere mortal musicians. The equivalent of this on an Oasis album would be something like "Digby's Dinner".
It is what it is -a throwaway singalong with a lumpy chorus that must have taken all of two seconds to construct. And that's fine..music doesn't always have to be sophisticated, and there can be a charm in the ramshackle and lo-fi. But there's nothing here that would be beyond the scope of even the most average songwriter or musician.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Apr 2010, 18:38

Sir John Coan wrote:Oh, I absolutely love it, and always have. And I've never understood the dislike.

Aye. This board undervalues the nursery rhyme Beatles. Not that surprising, really.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 30 Apr 2010, 19:04

Mike Boom wrote:
Thesiger wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Its great, fantastic, fab etc etc

Just because its fun, doesn't mean its a lesser track and certainly skewers its intended victim.

It's very average indeed. And it's got Yoko on it.

And as for 'skewering' victims, exactly who did it skewer (and who cares anyway)?

Well is kinda obvious isnt it?

He's the all American bullet-headed saxon mother's son.

Rich upper class twatish American collegiate Mommys boys who spend their summer hols in India shooting fucking Tigers!

Oh, th-e-e-e-e-m? That'll teach them! In fact it might even have killed them all off.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Apr 2010, 19:07

Still, rather childish to dislike a song for having Yoko on it. :?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 30 Apr 2010, 20:00

The mandolin in the right channel is a melotron effect too.

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 30 Apr 2010, 20:11

It's OK. One of the very few Beatles songs I'm not too jazzed about.
The least of the four songs in this poll so far.
Better than Wild Honey PIe for what it's worth.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Apr 2010, 20:57

M! wrote:
Quaco wrote:Or alternately, that some people give other bands more credit for creating good music than others do ...

I can see both sides. "Bungalow Bill" is nothing compared to classic stuff by great bands (including The Beatles), but really, if The Black Crowes or Blur or Oasis (to name but three) came up with something this good, I'd be shocked. It has a kind of immediacy and melodicism (even though it doesn't come across as super-melodic) that would really stand out in their catalogue. And imagine if a local band did something like this -- everybody in the room would come up to them afterward and tell them they really liked that one.

I can't agree at all. C'mon there's nothing musically sophisticated here, no melodic genius that would be beyond the grasp of mere mortal musicians. The equivalent of this on an Oasis album would be something like "Digby's Dinner".
It is what it is -a throwaway singalong with a lumpy chorus that must have taken all of two seconds to construct. And that's fine..music doesn't always have to be sophisticated, and there can be a charm in the ramshackle and lo-fi. But there's nothing here that would be beyond the scope of even the most average songwriter or musician.

I agree it's not sophisticated, but it's rare for other bands to write something so memorable. And it isn't even very good! When I hear something like "Bungalow Bill", it makes me depressed about music in general because most bands couldn't even come up with that! If you know what I mean... One might say the same thing about "Yellow Submarine", I suppose.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Apr 2010, 21:16

Oh, th-e-e-e-e-m? That'll teach them! In fact it might even have killed them all off

I have no idea why your being intentionally dim, but come on man, Lennon is poking a stick at a certain type of stereotypical American who like guns, people who love hunting, people who like to shoot things and kill things. America is full of them don't you know, just look at helipcopter wolf shooting Sarah Palin and the Tea Party crowd.

The taunting chorus "what did you kill ...." the sarcastic verses - Lennon and lots of other people, just don't like those who have no regard or respect for life, just because its that of an animal, and who kill for sport, its not THAT hard to see is it ?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Apr 2010, 21:17

Mike Boom wrote:Oh, th-e-e-e-e-m? That'll teach them! In fact it might even have killed them all off

I have no idea why your being intentionally dim, but come on man, Lennon is poking a stick at a certain type of stereotypical American who like guns, people who love hunting, people who like to shoot things and kill things. America is full of them don't you know, just look at helipcopter wolf shooting Sarah Palin and the Tea Party crowd.

The taunting chorus "what did you kill ...." the sarcastic verses - Lennon and lots of other people, just don't like those who have no regard or respect for life, just because its that of an animal, and who kill for sport, its not THAT hard to see is it ?

No, but it's not a particular clever insight either is it?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Apr 2010, 21:23

Never said it was a particularly clever insight now did I ? Good song tho.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Apr 2010, 21:27

M! wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Oh, th-e-e-e-e-m? That'll teach them! In fact it might even have killed them all off

No, but it's not a particular clever insight either is it?

Not a patch on Lennon's caustic lyrics in the original version of Norwegian Wood, which was a condemnation of fox hunting. McCartney, sadly, threatened to hold his breath until John wrote something less controversial -- a position Paul deeply regretted after meeting Linda.
Things that a fella can't forget...

pig bodine wrote: Nu country is basically southern rock crossed with Journey.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Apr 2010, 21:34

And when I awoke, I was alone, this fox had flown ...

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 30 Apr 2010, 21:37

Mike Boom wrote:Never said it was a particularly clever insight now did I ? Good song tho.

I'd assumed that 'skewering' somone in a lyric involved a little more than a puerile and rather feeble put down. Something more akin to Ballad of a Thin Man, maybe.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Apr 2010, 21:43

..well as I said, its as much in the delivery as the lyric, the way he sings the verses , the ensemble taunting chorus - its clearly not in the same league as Ballad of a Thin Man, but it never sets out to be either.

But whatever - you dont like it, I get it .... I do.

bye

Re: Beatles songs no 4: The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Postby bye » 18 Jan 2017, 22:59

Really like it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 19 Feb 2018, 21:06

How far did we get with this? I can't find any others
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 22:04

Super-Jank wrote:How far did we get with this? I can't find any others

I seem to remember I did about 6 or 7. Blue Jay Way was one...which you didn't like as I recall!