Average
15%
Poor/minor
31%

Total votes: 68

sloopjohnc

Re: Beatles songs no 4: The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bil

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Apr 2010, 04:06

I used to like it as kind of a novelty protest song. Then I got my head straight, and figured it was just okay. If another band did it, it would be a masterpiece, but this is the Beatles we're talking about.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 30 Apr 2010, 04:13

Sir John Coan wrote:Oh, I absolutely love it, and always have. And I've never understood the dislike.

In terms of "Beatles songs which sound like the Manson family themselves" this must be a top 5 jam.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Apr 2010, 04:50

sloopjohnc wrote: If another band did it, it would be a masterpiece, but this is the Beatles we're talking about.

I guess for Beatles agnostics, or even for those who view them in a more objective way, it must be these kind of hyperbolic statements that drive them to distraction.
Whilst I accept that many do really like this track, do you really believe the above statement? Really?

Molony

Postby Molony » 30 Apr 2010, 06:41

I don't mind it, but it isn't a great song. Aside from the political comment within (which would have been beyond Paul), Macca would have been raked over the coals for this one if he'd been behind it though.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 30 Apr 2010, 06:49

There is something deliciously sinister and creepy about Bungalow Bill and I've always thought of it is a true gem. The White Album would be much the poorer for its absence, if only for the way its conclusion links into While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which is itself a moment of pure Beatle genius...Eh Up!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 Apr 2010, 06:50

Molony wrote:I don't mind it, but it isn't a great song. Aside from the political comment within (which would have been beyond Paul), Macca would have been raked over the coals for this one if he'd been behind it though.

Not by me. But solo McCartney probably would have fit an eskimo or a salamander or some other stupid thing into it - then I'd have raked him over the coals.

I love it. Not a Beatle standout, but a great contributor to the White Album's gestalt.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 30 Apr 2010, 07:01

It's OK, but definitely one of the - 'I bet you wouldn't like it so much if it wasn't The Beatles' - songs. It pairs up with Rocky Raccoon in my opinion, which is a far better song. Neither of them make it on to my single White Album. They'd have been well placed on a double EP.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Molony

Postby Molony » 30 Apr 2010, 07:06

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Molony wrote:I don't mind it, but it isn't a great song. Aside from the political comment within (which would have been beyond Paul), Macca would have been raked over the coals for this one if he'd been behind it though.

Not by me. But solo McCartney probably would have fit an eskimo or a salamander or some other stupid thing into it - then I'd have raked him over the coals.

I love it. Not a Beatle standout, but a great contributor to the White Album's gestalt.

Maybe, but we all know that if Lennon had included an eskimo in this then it would have been hailed as a psychedlic/surreal nod to Dylan's 'Quinn the Eskimo' or something. If he'd included a salamander it would have been further evidence of his exploration of the outer reaches of consciousness through LSD.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Apr 2010, 07:23

Sir John Coan wrote:Makes no sense, that line. I've heard it a few times here, now. I suspect that those responsible have half-digested Ian Macdonald and are regurgitating it willy nilly all over BCB.

We need a new definitive Fabs' book.

I'm sorry but this is just crap. I don't go along with everything in that book but you'd be hard pressed to improve it imo. Taken as a whole it's a magnificent thing. And he's right about WMGGW...the acoustic version Loveless posted is lovely, however.

As for Bungalow Bill, yeah I dig it, quite a lot actually. It's full of groovy little bits.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 Apr 2010, 08:52

Molony wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:

Maybe, but we all know that if Lennon had included an eskimo in this then it would have been hailed as a psychedlic/surreal nod to Dylan's 'Quinn the Eskimo' or something. If he'd included a salamander it would have been further evidence of his exploration of the outer reaches of consciousness through LSD.

Nah. I'm not buying that for a second. You are implying that Paul's reputation for weak lyrics is not 100% earned. Lennon could have added an eskimo or a salamander because he had a better feel for surrealism. He'd have managed a context that would have worked.

Bungalow Bill works. If McCartney had written it it would still be judged as a cryptic little story song with a sly anti-war subtext. It gains no greater respect by being viewed as a Lennon song.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Apr 2010, 09:06

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Nah. I'm not buying that for a second. You are implying that Paul's reputation for weak lyrics is not 100% earned. Lennon could have added an eskimo or a salamander because he had a better feel for surrealism. He'd have managed a context that would have worked.

Plus Lennons surrealism and word play has a dark, occasionally menacing edge that Macca lacked.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Apr 2010, 09:07

Big fan of Bungalow Bill, for some reason i've always put it as a companion piece to A Hard Day's Night. Not Top 25 Beatles track, and probably quite a bit further back, but it's still one of my favourites from Whitey.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps...argh!! I love playing this on the (acoustic) guitar, but as has been pointed out the version on the album is terrible. I'm pretty sure the "Love" version is based on the acoustic version with added George Martin strings, and they did right in selecting that. For me, the worst part is the lyrics though, and i'm aghast that so many friends love the lyrics. "It's, like, a guitar...and the way they make it sound...it sounds, like, yeah, weeping - but, like, really gently...like the guitar has *emotions*, yeah yeah". :roll: Worst kind of 6th form lyrics.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 30 Apr 2010, 10:39

I don't like it.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 30 Apr 2010, 10:42

I agree most with Rokster, I like it because underneath that soft underbelly of a chorus there's something sinister. I like that its presented as a goofy kids song but on closer inspection its a little darker -- murder, sin, Yoko's witch-like vocal bit (Yes she's a witch!) Its a gem and the album wouldn't be as good without it.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 30 Apr 2010, 10:49

Mike Boom wrote:Its great, fantastic, fab etc etc

Just because its fun, doesn't mean its a lesser track and certainly skewers its intended victim.

It's very average indeed. And it's got Yoko on it.

And as for 'skewering' victims, exactly who did it skewer (and who cares anyway)?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Postby atomic loonybin » 30 Apr 2010, 11:22

1 - it's not even a proper flamenco guitar, it's a mellotron playing that.
2 - it's got the same awkward device as Lucy in the sky with diamonds when joining up a verse and a chorus with differing time signatures - four thumps on a bass drum. Lazy.

Still, it does have a malevolent undercurrent in the verses at least, but I just imagine a bunch of stinky hippies pretending to be at a 'happening' for the choruses.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 30 Apr 2010, 11:42

Thesiger wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Its great, fantastic, fab etc etc

Just because its fun, doesn't mean its a lesser track and certainly skewers its intended victim.

It's very average indeed. And it's got Yoko on it.

And as for 'skewering' victims, exactly who did it skewer (and who cares anyway)?

well, it's either a metaphor for America's adventures in Vietnam, or it's recounting the story of someone who was at Rishikesh with the fabs, who really went out hunting with his mother. If it's the latter I don't think he got skewered. If the former, well I had no idea it could be read that way, I thought it was another of the Beatles' children's songs.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 30 Apr 2010, 11:47

comrade moleskin wrote:well, it's either a metaphor for America's adventures in Vietnam, or it's recounting the story of someone who was at Rishikesh with the fabs, who really went out hunting with his mother. If it's the latter I don't think he got skewered. If the former, well I had no idea it could be read that way, I thought it was another of the Beatles' children's songs.

That's all I ever thought it was. You can read too much into things sometimes.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

McBastard

Postby McBastard » 30 Apr 2010, 13:38

Common Sense Checklist wrote:Classic Yoko mini-lead vocal.

It's the only example of a Beatles lead vocal line sung by someone other than an actual Beatle - I think?
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 30 Apr 2010, 13:42

McBastard wrote:
Common Sense Checklist wrote:Classic Yoko mini-lead vocal.

It's the only example of a Beatles lead vocal line sung by someone other than an actual Beatle - I think?

Could be, if you don't count Revolution #9.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Return to “Yakety Yak”