Average
7%
Poor/Minor Beatles
23%

Total votes: 56

pcqgod

Re: Beatles song no 2: Blue Jay Way

Postby pcqgod » 17 Apr 2010, 04:38

I'd rate it as a pretty bad song that is entertaining because of its badness.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2014, 20:53

VRZ Robotz wrote:Just listened again.

The detractors here are insane. Such a great track. The cello in particular is amazing. Who had the idea to have it imitate wha would normally be a sitar part? George Martin must have had a field day!

And no Coan, nobody here could play anything like the drums on this.

Be warned! Beatles juice really can rot the mind.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jan 2014, 21:24

Yes G - very robust

There is some similarity with this track - don't you think?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Jan 2014, 10:42

soundchaser wrote:Nice psychedelic embellishments notwithstanding, it's a piss poor song, probably written by Harrison when he was too stoned to know any better.

I'm totally shocked to see how capable I am of writing such complete and utter bollocks. Last year, I bought the Magical Mystery Tour special edition and I have been loving every single minute of it, especially the psychedelic gem that is Blue Jay Way, with it's wonderfully atmosphehice slurry cellos. So when this thread was bumped, I thought I'd have a read through and was completely floored to read my own nonsence. Recant, soundchaser, recant :D .

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Jan 2014, 12:32

Nice sounds but a very boring song that goes on way too long. One of the few examples where the influence of drugs on their music is not a positive one.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Jan 2014, 17:02

soundchaser wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Nice psychedelic embellishments notwithstanding, it's a piss poor song, probably written by Harrison when he was too stoned to know any better.

I'm totally shocked to see how capable I am of writing such complete and utter bollocks.

I'm not.

;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Jan 2014, 18:22

Seeing as I somehow didn't actually offer an opinion during this thread's first go-round, I'll offer it now: it's ace.

This old thread is fun, too.

_
Last edited by Charlie O. on 20 Feb 2018, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Jan 2014, 18:31

side one of MMT would not be complete without it.
an important part of one of my favorite sides.
uggy poopy doody.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Jan 2014, 18:50

This interview with Brian Kehew (Recording the Beatles), from only last week, touches on "Blue Jay Way":

Songfacts: In your examination of the Beatles, what did you decide was the greatest feat of engineering or production on one of their songs?

Brian: Good call. I think it's "Blue Jay Way," which is not a famous or legendary Beatles song, but it has the most Beatle-ism tricks and styles in it. It has phasing, flanging, it has varied speed recording, it has tape echo. They put things through Leslies, they compressed and EQed things. It's really fascinating, and it has more stuff going on with it that's more detached from traditional classical recording or a Miles Davis record. It's more Beatles-y in that way. All the tricks that The Beatles had developed with compressing instruments and with EQing things in very strange ways are present on "Blue Jay Way."

My favorite part of it, which is really a fascinating concept, they took the track, specifically with the vocals, and then mixed it. That mix was played backwards and recorded back into the record on the multi-track, but they played it through a Leslie speaker that's spinning in the room. So occasionally during the song you hear some backwards Leslied tracks, especially vocals, swirling in and out. It's the actual song playing backwards against itself through a Leslie and then fading up and down, which is a really creative and very strange idea. I've never heard of anyone else doing something like that.

Songfacts: If you think of the most outrageous Beatle productions, you might think of something like "Rain" or "Revolution."

Brian: Well, if you listen to it closely as it develops into something, it actually becomes more of a "Strawberry Fields Forever," which is pretty much a production. "Blue Jay Way" has these cellos at the end. If you listen closely, they're doing a repeat echo. This is another Beatles thing: to add cellos and strings to a rock song in that kind of way. But the cellos are going, and there's echoes switching on and off at the tape machine. Not just a normal echo, like Elvis would have, but a repeating echo that's almost running away into feedback, then they switch it off and then they switch it on again. It's just really bizarre, but beautiful how they went deep into that.

Most people, including George Harrison, would probably not say it's the best-written Beatles song. That's the number one reason it's probably not more famous, but it was written about a house not far from where I am right now, up in the hills of Hollywood. It is a cool song, but not a great song. You wouldn't cover it and play it on acoustic guitar, for example. It's just not that strong writing.

The whole interview is enlightening, definitely worth a read.

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/writing/b ... remasters/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 22 Jan 2014, 14:21

It is a fucking great song. :)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jul 2014, 21:21

Some crazy comments on this thread. I hope you've all BCB reconsidered.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 31 Jul 2014, 22:08

Oh, honestly, fuck off. Seriously. I'm fed up of all this bullshit. The song is garbage.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jul 2014, 22:21

Hen-Bee wrote:Oh, honestly, fuck off. Seriously. I'm fed up of all this bullshit. The song is garbage.

Says the Beefheart fan.
No one would claim it as a particularly good song, but it's a hell of a trip..just align yourself to those incredible sounds. It's the kind of record you have to give yourself to.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 31 Jul 2014, 22:36

The G Experience! wrote:
Hen-Bee wrote:Oh, honestly, fuck off. Seriously. I'm fed up of all this bullshit. The song is garbage.

Says the Beefheart fan.

Three responses in over 12 hours. :(

You're laughing, but we're fucked, I tell you.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Jul 2014, 23:21

We're fucked because people don't have much to add to what they said four years ago? Or because they aren't responding to your obvious shit-stirring? What?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jul 2014, 23:26

:lol:

He's got you, he does!

On the bright side, I think the BCB 130's going pretty gosh-durned well.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 31 Jul 2014, 23:29

toomanyhatz wrote::lol:

He's got you, he does!

He misunderstood me.

I was referring to the Beefheart thread I started earlier today, which hasn't had a whole lot of response.

And I wasn't 'shitstirring' so much as being facetious.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 31 Jul 2014, 23:30

This is average Beatles in my incredibly humble opinion.
king of the divan

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 31 Jul 2014, 23:32

mentalist (slight return) wrote:This is average Beatles in my incredibly humble opinion.

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jul 2014, 23:35

Hen-Bee wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote::lol:

He's got you, he does!

He misunderstood me.

I was referring to the Beefheart thread I started earlier today, which hasn't had a whole lot of response.

And I wasn't 'shitstirring' so much as being facetious.

I misunderstood then too, sorry. Not that it would've been too far out of character...I say that, of course, from a very pro-shit-stirring standpoint.

I'll definitely contribute to the Beefheart thread too, just waiting till I can give it the deserved concentration.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Return to “Yakety Yak”