Soul Jazz Grooves

Do talk back
User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 10 Sep 2012, 15:41

Nolamike wrote:


Oh yeah, that's a good one. Makes me miss Phil Balboa's presence around these parts though. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13951
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Nolamike » 10 Sep 2012, 15:43

Fangedango! wrote:Oh yeah, that's a good one. Makes me miss Phil Balboa's presence around these parts though. :(


Where is Balboa? :(
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13951
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Nolamike » 10 Sep 2012, 15:44

Harp and Soul:

Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 10 Sep 2012, 16:16

Nolamike wrote:Where is Balboa? :(


He's on a bit of paternity leave from BCB, i think. Hope he drops in again soon though.

Here's one for him...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3484
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby T. Willy Rye » 11 Sep 2012, 01:39

Nolamike wrote:Here's one more in line with the rest of the thread, from the early '60s, and one I'm guessing few folks here know. It's the A.F.O. Executives, which consisted of Harold Battiste and all those studio cats who played on Sam Cooke's latter day sessions, Dr. John's Night Tripper album, and a whole bunch of other stuff. For the first few minutes, it swings along in a vein similar to "Sidewinder," but then at about 4:00, it shifts to a place where all the guys' New Orleans roots show forth a bit more, with a percussion heavy, call-and-response section.

Trust me, you'll love it:



Hell yeah! :)


I know this one from the Gumbo Stew comp. They list this one as being by Alvin "Red" Tyler. Strange, anyway it's a great track!

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3484
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby T. Willy Rye » 11 Sep 2012, 01:41

Nice work fellas!


User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13951
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Nolamike » 11 Sep 2012, 02:01

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Nolamike wrote:Here's one more in line with the rest of the thread, from the early '60s, and one I'm guessing few folks here know. It's the A.F.O. Executives, which consisted of Harold Battiste and all those studio cats who played on Sam Cooke's latter day sessions, Dr. John's Night Tripper album, and a whole bunch of other stuff. For the first few minutes, it swings along in a vein similar to "Sidewinder," but then at about 4:00, it shifts to a place where all the guys' New Orleans roots show forth a bit more, with a percussion heavy, call-and-response section.

Trust me, you'll love it:



Hell yeah! :)


I know this one from the Gumbo Stew comp. They list this one as being by Alvin "Red" Tyler. Strange, anyway it's a great track!


He plays tenor sax on it. Harold Batiste is on piano/alto, Melvin Lastie on comet, Peter Badie on bass, and John Boudreau on drums. Tammy Lynn also does vocals on a few tracks; folks might know her from the liner notes for Exile on Main Street, to which she added background vox on a few tracks.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 11 Sep 2012, 02:11

'Red' Tyler, what a legend! Played with practically every big name to go through New Orleans and their cousins too.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
B
Posts: 9166
Joined: 25 Aug 2003, 06:22
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby B » 12 Sep 2012, 02:24

Fangedango! wrote:Maybe leaning slightly more to the jazz funk rather than soul jazz side of the dial, but damn it it's Cedar Walton, so you know it's gonna have a whole mess of soulful goodness...



Love his playing on Lee Morgan's album The Rajah

And speaking of piano how about some of This Here?


User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 12 Sep 2012, 03:40

Brian wrote:
Fangedango! wrote:Maybe leaning slightly more to the jazz funk rather than soul jazz side of the dial, but damn it it's Cedar Walton, so you know it's gonna have a whole mess of soulful goodness...



Love his playing on Lee Morgan's album The Rajah


That's a great one. Cedar Walton doesn't get as many props these days, but his contributions both as a writer and player on heaps of those classic 60s albums are wonderful.

Brian wrote:And speaking of piano how about some of This Here?



Great minds, Brian - check out p.3 of this here thread :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36283
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: Gringolandia

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Sep 2012, 03:53

This isn't available in MY country, but I hope it's available in YOURS. Harold Mabern's smokin' hot cover of "I Want You Back"



Here's a taste for us gringos:

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash wrote:LOOK AT ITS EYES FFS

User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 12 Sep 2012, 06:34

Count Machuki wrote:This isn't available in MY country, but I hope it's available in YOURS. Harold Mabern's smokin' hot cover of "I Want You Back"




Oh man, if they won't show you that in your country you need to emigrate. That's mighty fine. Sure sounds like Lee Morgan on the trumpet when he's doing those little repeated trills, which wouldn't surprise me knowing their history together. And whoever is on tenor almost steals the whole kit and kaboodle. Will be investigating further, cheers Count.

Edit: Damn, just checked on Amazon and they're going from $114! :o
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36283
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: Gringolandia

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Nov 2012, 05:19

Y'all guys about ready to throw down again?


(we must have had this already, but it never gets old)


(I LOVE this track)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash wrote:LOOK AT ITS EYES FFS

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3484
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby T. Willy Rye » 28 Nov 2012, 04:05


User avatar
fange
Posts: 9870
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby fange » 28 Nov 2012, 04:30

Good to see the best thread on BCB bobbing up like Lazarus again. You can't keep a good groove down.

[youtube]R9JewmkaN_o&feature=related[/youtube]
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36283
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: Gringolandia

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Dec 2012, 18:41

*bump*
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash wrote:LOOK AT ITS EYES FFS

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3484
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby T. Willy Rye » 28 Dec 2012, 19:20


User avatar
frimley_greener
Posts: 1361
Joined: 10 Apr 2010, 10:00
Location: frimley green..and it ain't easy being green...

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby frimley_greener » 28 Dec 2012, 19:31

not sure if this counts...but "is that jazz"(from a very soulful mr gil scott heron)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pIioIc5lk
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36283
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: Gringolandia

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby Count Machuki » 17 Jan 2013, 03:27

Happy 2013, funky people.

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash wrote:LOOK AT ITS EYES FFS

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3484
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Soul Jazz Grooves

Postby T. Willy Rye » 17 Jan 2013, 03:45

Count Machuki wrote:Happy 2013, funky people.



Hello Mr Hammond! (I love that track) Have you met a certain Mr. Green?



Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest