Underwater Moonlight

Do talk back
Insouciant Western People

Underwater Moonlight

Postby Insouciant Western People » 21 Feb 2010, 01:03

We never seem to talk about it, unless I'm not paying attention (which could well be the case).

We should talk about it though. It's a bit good. Isn't it ? I Wanna Destroy You is one of the great hateful snarls of venom and bile.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Charlie O.

Re: Underwater Moonlight

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Feb 2010, 01:08

It's pretty magnificent, alright. Probably my favorite RH creation (I Often Dream Of Trains is its only real competition, although I do like/love several others).

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Feb 2010, 01:11

I always thought it was a bit spotty - about half of it is fairly forgettable. But 'Tonight', 'Kingdom Of Love', 'Queen Of Eyes' - they're terrific songs.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 21 Feb 2010, 01:14

episode of 'Klotsch' with arse bacon wrote:I always thought it was a bit spotty - about half of it is fairly forgettable. But 'Tonight', 'Kingdom Of Love', 'Queen Of Eyes' - they're terrific songs.

Yeah, me too.

My favourite Hitchcock is 'Fegmania' which seems to get better over time.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Feb 2010, 01:23

I think the whole thing is pretty great. Nothing too weak on it, IMHO.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Feb 2010, 01:24

Yeah, the only track on the original album I ever had mixed feelings about was the instrumental, "You'll Have To Go Sideways". The rest is ace, as are most of the outtakes.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 21 Feb 2010, 02:07

It's a stone classic.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Feb 2010, 02:12

I guess you didn't see the Robyn Hitchcock solo thread last week. I think it's good, but not as good as everyone thinks it is. I like Hitchcock's solo albums better.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 21 Feb 2010, 02:15

sloopjohnc wrote:I guess you didn't see the Robyn Hitchcock solo thread last week. I think it's good, but not as good as everyone thinks it is. I like Hitchcock's solo albums better.

I guess you didn't see my post above.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 21 Feb 2010, 02:15

Charlie O. wrote:Yeah, the only track on the original album I ever had mixed feelings about was the instrumental, "You'll Have To Go Sideways".

But I love that one! The weird little keyboard is really great.

My only qualm is with the version of "Old Pervert" used on every version except for the original. The original version (called the "skin it back" version because Hitchcock exclaims that before the last instrumental part) is superior, but it seems to have disappeared from the CD versions. Does anyone know why?
But really, a great album and a longtime favorite. I used "I Wanna Destroy You" on my Mix Club disc last month. It's the bomb.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Feb 2010, 02:58

Balboa wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I guess you didn't see the Robyn Hitchcock solo thread last week. I think it's good, but not as good as everyone thinks it is. I like Hitchcock's solo albums better.

I guess you didn't see my post above.

:oops:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Feb 2010, 03:44

I think it's all that. I'm a pretty big Hitchcock person (not as big as some), so there's that.
A few months I carried a major obsession with the "Queen Of Eyes" --> "Underwater Moonlight" 1--2 punch for a couple of days. It was all I would listen to in the car, and at top volume. "Queen of Eyes" is obviously, unquestionably great, but I had never paid much attention to "Underwater Moonlight." But the slashing guitars! Holy shit! I freak out for it! It's such a great release . . . "Underwater moonlight, sets the body free . . . baby you and me . . ."

Though I have to say, I don't like the jivey shit they do right after that and the bass commits certain sins, which is probably what caused me to ignore the tune for lo these many years.

"Underwater moonlight, take your baby down . . . watch your baby drown . . ."
Then there's that shit where the guitars take off. Fuck man, I get excited and I don't know why. Then there's the tremolo mellow down business. What a jam. Hot damn. I never liked the fiddles, but the build up and release in the last 45 seconds kills me. "Baby you and me . . . " What a way to end a record. As with all things worth listening to, jam at top volume.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Billy

Postby Billy » 21 Feb 2010, 09:28

Nick wrote:I Wanna Destroy You is one of the great hateful snarls of venom and bile.

You do realise it was a piss-take on all that sort of thing? Like that REM song mix-up thing that happened ...

Myself, I preferred 'I Wanna Do You' -- a fine Hitchcock song from his BB Blackberry and the Swelterettes/Worst Fears days

[you have to imagine a vast chorus of backing singers throughout the following]

I wanna do you as well as i can
And shalt thou enjoy it?
I hope so indeed, i do you for thee
And not just entirely for me!

But there was also its contender for the popularity stakes 'No Way The Reverb - Vibes', which comes across as a lost Moonlight outtake ...

And, no, I'm not making this up! :) Just, revelling in obscurity :lol: ... skope would be proud :oops:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Feb 2010, 11:11

It is pretty spotty, as others have said, but there's stuff to enjoy even in the weaker tracks: I don't really think anything there is forgettable, though there are one or two songs I don't like. But the first two or three tracks would make for an absolutely killer album whatever came after.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Nov 2017, 00:03

I've been playing this record a lot recently, and while I sort-of agree that it struggles to match its fiery opening ( the searing "I Wanna Destroy You", the malevolent "Kingdom of Love"), nearly every track has something in it to recommend, whether it's the big power chords of "Positive Vibration", the lurching, deadpan "I've Got the Hots" or the searing title track. I like its tight, confident production, but also the warped way Hitchcock has with a lyric, whether he's comparing love to parasite that gets under your skin, or on the point of total mania of "Insanely Jealous". And it doesn't sound dated at all, indeed, it could be released today and still have the same impact. I'm not sure whether I need any more Robyn Hitchcock in my life, but I'm pleased I have this one.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Nov 2017, 00:22

You should get his latest, self-titled album. There's a straight line right from UM to it.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”