2%

Total votes: 52

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Jan 2010, 23:45

Jeff K wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:
Jeff K wrote:As for who 'owned' the 70's I'd rank them in this order...

Bowie
Young
Elton John
Springsteen
Rod Stewart

Commercially? Critically? Some combination thereof? 'Cause if you're talking commercially, certainly Elton tops them all. And (as much as we'd prefer to think otherwise) you'd have to put Steve Miller in there too. And critically there's Patti Smith, Lou, Cale, etc. And I'd add in Kevin Ayers if personal taste enters into it.

Combination of popularity and critical praise. Yes, I neglected to include Stevie Wonder and he should be on my list too.

And Todd Rundgren, of course.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 14 Jan 2010, 23:46

Goat Boy wrote:And Todd Rundgren, of course.

Maybe in your little corner of the world.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 14 Jan 2010, 23:47

Goat Boy wrote:

And Todd Rundgren, of course.

You know, I was only thinking about a Bowie vs Rundgren 1970-5 thread the other day (Rundgren walks it).
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Jan 2010, 23:50

If you pick the exact right date range, yes you can find people who beat Bowie in the '70s. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 14 Jan 2010, 23:56

Quaco wrote:If you pick the exact right date range, yes you can find people who beat Bowie in the '70s. :)

;) Well, I figured 5 years was a decent stretch for comparison. I also think Rundgren was better over that time! I'm just trying to contain the notion that Bowie was omnipotent in the 70s. I'd say Bowie's last good album was in '77, so y'know the comparison isn't that far off.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jan 2010, 00:00

I had a friend who always tried to drag me to see the Faces. she saw lots of shows and insisted that nobody fronted a band better. I still listen the the Faces and early Stewart albums and it's funny how people recognize his voice and seem surprised at the type of music he made.

Rod seemed to decide he was going to be really popular. I'm glad that worked out for him but certainly by "Atlantic Crossing" I couldn't stand his stuff.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Jan 2010, 00:01

Balboa wrote:
Quaco wrote:If you pick the exact right date range, yes you can find people who beat Bowie in the '70s. :)

;) Well, I figured 5 years was a decent stretch for comparison. I also think Rundgren was better over that time! I'm just trying to contain the notion that Bowie was omnipotent in the 70s. I'd say Bowie's last good album was in '77, so y'know the comparison isn't that far off.

Of course there are those that think Rungren's last good one was '74. :D

Those that like Rundren seem to swear by him, and I suppose he has a few undeniable classics, but if we are using the Jeff K. critical/commercial scale, he doesn't even register.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 15 Jan 2010, 00:04

toomanyhatz wrote:
Balboa wrote:

Of course there are those that think Rungren's last good one was '74. :D

Those that like Rundren seem to swear by him, and I suppose he has a few undeniable classics, but if we are using the Jeff K. critical/commercial scale, he doesn't even register.

I've OD'd on 'A Wizard, A True Star' these last 12 months. Anything is possible.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jan 2010, 00:14

Rank Bajin wrote:I would say that, but I'm not being in any way objective. Objectively, I can see your points make a lot of sense and I understand the critical reputation of early Rod / Faces. However, I just don't like Rod Stewart despite grudgingly appreciating that he had his moments; his music, like Van Morrison's for that matter - that gutsy/sweaty soul-ish/folk-ish/pub-ish thing - just doesn't do it for me. Even on BCB - especially on BCB (home of the iconoclasticly hailed hero - hello, solo Macca) - Rod is given far too much credit for his above average boozy, goodtime amalgam of influences. If I was being mean, he's the 70s Paolo Nutini. As for anything he's done since around 75....Christ on a crutch.

Oops, ranted again.

I'd agree largely. I like the earlier stuff more than you do, but I don't really see where all this great songwriting is. I think even then he was operating in a very comfortable, safe zone and pretty much writing or recording genre songs. He didn't bring much of his own artistry to it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jan 2010, 00:30

Balboa wrote:

Lodger is one of the great albums of the seventies.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 15 Jan 2010, 00:48

keith jennings wrote:

I know you mean that.

Yeah, Rod Stewart...I mean, "Maggie May" is a masterpiece, but somehow the fact that he copied it immediately with "You Wear It Well" indicates something very surface about his writing, and suggests that his few gems were flukes.

I always want to like him more than I do.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 15 Jan 2010, 00:51

I would vote for the Faces in almost any poll against almost anybody. Throw in one or three of those "solo" records and not many people stand a chance. It is very special music to me. Rock and Roll matters to me and no one ever did it better as consistently as they did.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Jan 2010, 00:53

Sneelock wrote:Rod seemed to decide he was going to be really popular. I'm glad that worked out for him but certainly by "Atlantic Crossing" I couldn't stand his stuff.

Have you read that Creem interview from around that time where he dumps on the Faces and talks about how liberating it is not to have to work with them? He's really mean about it.

I can never get that taste out of my mouth.

Plus, he came to my attention via some very horrible late 70s hits. I won't mention them, but they're unforgivable.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jan 2010, 00:57

Sir John San Juan And His Old Lady wrote:
keith jennings wrote:

I know you mean that.

Yeah, Rod Stewart...I mean, "Maggie May" is a masterpiece, but somehow the fact that he copied it immediately with "You Wear It Well" indicates something very surface about his writing, and suggests that his few gems were flukes.

I always want to like him more than I do.

But "You Wear It Well" is a wonderful song too!

Rod Stewart doesn't do fireworks with his writing -- he would never write anything like "Time" or "Drive In Saturday", and for some, that's something in his favor -- but there's so much warmth and touching humor in it. From a guy who's famously shallow and ladder-climbing, it's kind of amazing how much emotion he puts into his stuff. His whole vibe in that mid-'70s period was wonderful, the way he wrote the liner notes, everybody has a nickname, photos taken at the pub (Smiler), charmingly self-deprecating at every turn -- he was great.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 15 Jan 2010, 02:38

Well, that's his appeal to me (and possibly to many others) - this laddish, impish, informal clown.

My issue with his inconsistent songwriting is what it is. I LOVE moments from Truth, the Faces records, and the Mercury solo LPs, but...I don't think of him as much of a writer, and a number of my favorites are interpretations ("Country Comfort", "Street Fighting Man", "Reason To Believe", etc).

The fact that he doesn't do fireworks is a virtue, undoubtedly. "Time" is the type of number which DOESN'T endear me to Bowie.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jan 2010, 02:45

I think his '70s songwriting is all very good, but in truth, there isn't all that much of it, certainly not compared to prolific artists like DB, PM, and so on. Half of each record are covers. He's a little like Robert Wyatt at that time: great heart and a unique writer, one I can really get into, but just not enough stuff from his best period.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 15 Jan 2010, 08:52

How much does being a songwriter matter though? I mean, someone's greatness can come through their interpretations of other peoples songs. I think Rod was much better at the latter than Bowie.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Jan 2010, 09:30

Balboa wrote:How much does being a songwriter matter though? I mean, someone's greatness can come through their interpretations of other peoples songs. I think Rod was much better at the latter than Bowie.

:)
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 15 Jan 2010, 09:44

I'd easily choose Bowie over Rod Stewart.

I'd also choose Rundgren over Rod Stewart.

Rod has a good voice, and some of the Faces' tracks are good, but I've never been a huge fan and the only album I've ever owned that he sings on is Long Player by The Faces (and even then, I prefer The Small Faces to the Stewart version).
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Jan 2010, 09:49

Balboa wrote:How much does being a songwriter matter though? I mean, someone's greatness can come through their interpretations of other peoples songs. I think Rod was much better at the latter than Bowie.

I love you Phil, but that really is a post for which the phrase "Clutching at straws" was invented!
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.