70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Do talk back

70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Poll ended at 13 Feb 2010, 16:09

70s david bowie
35
67%
70s rod stewart
16
31%
70s footy in flares
1
2%
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
The Beatles
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17388
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby The Beatles » 06 Dec 2017, 20:08

The Modernist wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:It depends how much you value innovation in music, I suppose.


It's not just that. Even if you throw out all talk of innovation and experimentation and all that stuff and simply talk about power in music - admittedly quite a subjective thing to define - then Bowie would win hands down.
I think of a song like Your Wear it Well and it's very likeable, pleasant in a good way, but there's nothing powerful about it, I don't feel stirred or moved when I hear it. And all his stuff is a bit like that for me. He's a bit bland.


Well, yeah.

I probably like Rod's early 70s albums a bit more than you (his debut is especially strong) but he doesn't make the earth move. Not like Bowie.

I still think DB's diversity is something we tend to undervalue/understate. As is the case with the Beatles, you could make, say, 10 completely different ten-song playlists to appeal to folk with completely different tastes.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 31956
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Dec 2017, 20:22

It's not just colour, or production it's about imagination, inspiration.

Rod has some good tunes but he can't conjure magic and he doesn't transport you. I don't really get much sense of self from him either.
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred


I read the article, which was nonsense.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29275
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Dec 2017, 20:27

Image

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 8673
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby WG Kaspar » 06 Dec 2017, 20:34

Goat Boy wrote:It's not just colour, or production it's about imagination, inspiration.

Rod has some good tunes but he can't conjure magic and he doesn't transport you. I don't really get much sense of self from him either.

Well I disagree because the band backing Rod is million miles better than Bowie's and has the extra bonus of having Ronnie Lane beside him and I'd take Ronnie Wood over Mick Ronson any day of the week. Also both solo and the Faces have amazing songs and are in their own way just as evocative as Bowie's. It's a different beast but no less for it. Still voted for Bowie obviously but let's not diminish how great Rod and the Faces were for these 4-5 years/
I run out of talent

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34382
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby PENK » 06 Dec 2017, 20:39

If you ignore some of the things that made Bowie better then yeah, maybe Rod measures up.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 31956
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Dec 2017, 20:42

Well I was talking about solo Rod specifically but I don't find the Faces records anything special either. A handful of good songs and I do love Oo La La but a lot of average stuff too. I don't think the songwriting was really strong enough I'm afraid


I'm sure they were fun live and they had chemistry, no doubt but...
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred


I read the article, which was nonsense.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34382
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby PENK » 06 Dec 2017, 20:43

Most of the Faces stuff I've heard is just boring bluesy pub rock stuff. I like some of Rod's early solo things though.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65830
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Dec 2017, 20:44

WG Kaspar wrote: and I'd take Ronnie Wood over Mick Ronson any day of the week.


No. Just no.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 31956
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Dec 2017, 20:46

I mean even if you're just talking about his guitar playing that's a funny one but when you factor in his arrangements, especially on strings well, you know...
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred


I read the article, which was nonsense.

User avatar
The Beatles
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17388
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby The Beatles » 06 Dec 2017, 20:50

PENK wrote:Most of the Faces stuff I've heard is just boring bluesy pub rock stuff. I like some of Rod's early solo things though.


That sums it up neatly for me too.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11264
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 20:54

WG Kaspar wrote:Well I disagree because the band backing Rod is million miles better than Bowie's and has the extra bonus of having Ronnie Lane beside him and I'd take Ronnie Wood over Mick Ronson any day of the week.


At what? Scoring coke? C'mon that's just silly. Wood was just a barroom chugger, good personality and all that, but nobody's idea of a great guitarist. Ronson is on another level.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23559
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 05:34

The Modernist wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:It depends how much you value innovation in music, I suppose.


It's not just that. Even if you throw out all talk of innovation and experimentation and all that stuff and simply talk about power in music - admittedly quite a subjective thing to define - then Bowie would win hands down.
I think of a song like Your Wear it Well and it's very likeable, pleasant in a good way, but there's nothing powerful about it, I don't feel stirred or moved when I hear it. And all his stuff is a bit like that for me. He's a bit bland.



I think this take is a bit bland.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50804
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 07 Dec 2017, 22:44

Let it go, Davey.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2270
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby northernsky » 08 Dec 2017, 07:53

Matt Wilson wrote:The Bowie vs God thread is next.


Like I say, the verdict's in on that encounter.

Image

A score draw, seen in the round.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23559
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Dec 2017, 15:07

German Dave wrote:Let it go, Davey.


The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 846
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Robert » 08 Dec 2017, 15:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:It depends how much you value innovation in music, I suppose.


It's not just that. Even if you throw out all talk of innovation and experimentation and all that stuff and simply talk about power in music - admittedly quite a subjective thing to define - then Bowie would win hands down.
I think of a song like Your Wear it Well and it's very likeable, pleasant in a good way, but there's nothing powerful about it, I don't feel stirred or moved when I hear it. And all his stuff is a bit like that for me. He's a bit bland.



I think this take is a bit bland.



FFS, just pitch Bowie against The Beatles and Bowie will lose. Any other attempts apart from the Beatles will miserably lose.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29275
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Dec 2017, 15:55

Robert wrote:
FFS, just pitch Bowie against The Beatles and Bowie will lose. Any other attempts apart from the Beatles will miserably lose.


I'm still holding out for God.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8257
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Pansy Puff » 08 Dec 2017, 16:07

“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23559
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Dec 2017, 17:06

Robert wrote:FFS, just pitch Bowie against The Beatles and Bowie will lose. Any other attempts apart from the Beatles will miserably lose.


That’s a BCB thing. Nowhere else on earth is Bowie the #2 act in music.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6767
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: 70s david bowie vs 70s rod stewart

Postby jimboo » 08 Dec 2017, 17:36

WG Kaspar wrote: and I'd take Ronnie Wood over Mick Ronson any day of the week.




Oh for the love of , WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.