packrat

Re: Oh My God I Don't Believe It

Postby packrat » 24 Oct 2009, 22:40

Carlsson wrote:Is it:

Kaiser Chefs by Employment

or

Employment by Kaiser Chefs?

I am unfamiliar with either

Keep the ignorance C, you'll be better off not knowing :D (it is the latter btw)
the rat is back - more or less!

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 24 Oct 2009, 23:34

I played this to death in my car when it came out and really grew to love it.

It's just good, catchy pop with a few "too clever" lyrics but on the whole, this is what I want from pop music - it's not pretending to be more than it is. It doesn't demand too much of me and it's the right side of derivative (yes, of course there's such a place).

I like, "Never Miss A Beat" off the newer album too.

It's a ...

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 25 Oct 2009, 20:53

yomptepi wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Never trust a band where the drummer writes the songs. Loutish rock that make the much maligned Oasis sound sophisticated.

Indeed.

Yahoos to a man.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. They actually have relatively smart lyrics, compared to most of the competition (which I know is damning with faint praise, but there you go).

I recall you saying something similar about The Arctic Monkeys a couple of years ago, which was well wide of the mark too.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Oct 2009, 21:34

Nick wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Never trust a band where the drummer writes the songs. Loutish rock that make the much maligned Oasis sound sophisticated.

Indeed.

Yahoos to a man.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. They actually have relatively smart lyrics, compared to most of the competition (which I know is damning with faint praise, but there you go).

I recall you saying something similar about The Arctic Monkeys a couple of years ago, which was well wide of the mark too.

:o Surely not!

They're certainly the best of their generation by miles.

Which says rather more about the drabness of their era than the genius of the Kaiser Chiefs.

I'm thoroughly bored with 'Ruby', but I put that down to Guitar Hero rather than the band to be fair.

Great live.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

shortfatb

Postby shortfatb » 25 Oct 2009, 21:48

Fucking hell. I was spending too much time on here and wondering if I would ever be involved enough to become a real BCBer, but reading shite like this when there is so much snobbery on here about excellent music means I can say farewell untroubled. Kaiser Chiefs are Business Studies Grads who wish they had gone to art school, the absolute negative answer to the age old question, "Can white men sing the blues?" Ugly men playing ugly music, but as Coan expresses some love, some people find it hard to join in the kicking KC obviously deserve.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 Oct 2009, 21:53

They strike me as a second division BritPop band out of their time in the 00s. I quite like Never Miss a Beat and I Predict A Riot was good fun until it got drummed into the ground by overplaying. But they've never impressed me as being anything other than oh, Flowered Up to Blur's Happy Mondays (and the Blur reference is absolutely bang on, Parklife era anyway).

Lite, as yomptempi would say (if he wasn't flaming them, that is).

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2009, 22:00

shortfatb wrote:Fucking hell. I was spending too much time on here and wondering if I would ever be involved enough to become a real BCBer, but reading shite like this when there is so much snobbery on here about excellent music means I can say farewell untroubled. Kaiser Chiefs are Business Studies Grads who wish they had gone to art school, the absolute negative answer to the age old question, "Can white men sing the blues?" Ugly men playing ugly music, but as Coan expresses some love, some people find it hard to join in the kicking KC obviously deserve.

Pompous, vous? :lol:

Ta ra!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Oct 2009, 22:01

Look, it's not a bad pop album by any means and definitely has its moments. My wife's a bit of a fan, so I've heard it a few times. However, it's totally derivative and they telegraph their influences from a mile away, so it’s no wonder they appear to on the wane now.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2009, 22:05

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 25 Oct 2009, 22:10

shortfatb wrote:Fucking hell. I was spending too much time on here and wondering if I would ever be involved enough to become a real BCBer, but reading shite like this when there is so much snobbery on here about excellent music means I can say farewell untroubled. Kaiser Chiefs are Business Studies Grads who wish they had gone to art school, the absolute negative answer to the age old question, "Can white men sing the blues?" Ugly men playing ugly music, but as Coan expresses some love, some people find it hard to join in the kicking KC obviously deserve.
Get to fuck. Since when does Coan influence anything around here?
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Oct 2009, 22:21

Jude wrote:

I have enormous influence.

I invented the synch-listen, and started all the best debates.

I have several copycat posters here who like to have a go at me now and again in a vain effort to take some wobbly steps on their own, but they always revert to wannabe Coan type, once fallen.

Do not forget this.

Now - on you go.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 25 Oct 2009, 22:22

The Internet Bully wrote:
Jude wrote:

I have several copycat posters here who like to have a go at me now and again in a vain effort to take some wobbly steps on their own, but they always revert to wannabe Coan type, once fallen.

Do not forget this.

Now - on you go.
Fuck off.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Oct 2009, 22:25

:lol:

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 25 Oct 2009, 23:31

The Blur inflence seems pretty strong to me. Hate Ruby, very clunky indeed but i was surprised by the poor showing of Never Miss A Beat which i thought was tremendous.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 26 Oct 2009, 12:21

A pretty good record from a band who are fantastic live. Most of the songs work in a poppy kind of way, but for some reason "You can have it all" seems to press all the right buttons.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Xeopac

Postby Xeopac » 26 Oct 2009, 12:30

I really, really hate them. I don't mind Oh My God too much, and my favourite from that album was You Can Have It All, but I never liked the album or them at all.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Oct 2009, 12:34

The Internet Bully wrote:
Jude wrote:

Do not forget this.

Actually , i would rather listen to you than the Kaiser Chiefs.
Now - on you go.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 26 Oct 2009, 12:42

I hate that song Ruby they released a few years back.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 26 Oct 2009, 12:55

Hard to believe it's been 5 years since this was out, but I did have immense fun dancing to that album. Everyday I Love You Less and Less was great. Of course they were a derivative Franz Ferdinard but that wasn't such a bad thing. It was all good fun. No one makes albums which are as much fun these days sadly.
I run out of talent

sensi

Postby sensi » 26 Oct 2009, 13:33

Blimey :roll:

It's just the Kaiser Chiefs. :roll:

I liked it when it came out and played it to death for weeks...I enjoyed watching them peform the songs live too...I don't play it much now but it's harmless pop and I still like it...not worth flouncing for really...how silly :lol:

Return to “Yakety Yak”