Elton John
59%
Paul McCartney
41%

Total votes: 59

Piggly Wiggly

Re: 70's Elton John vs. 70's Paul McCartney

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 30 Sep 2009, 17:38

kath wrote:obviously it really *is* just me this time, but i happen to think anyone who cuts funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding from this album needs to be taken outside and duck-whipped.

I wouldn't care if I never heard it again.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 30 Sep 2009, 17:54

Sir John San Juan wrote:
kath wrote:obviously it really *is* just me this time, but i happen to think anyone who cuts funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding from this album needs to be taken outside and duck-whipped.

I wouldn't care if I never heard it again.

(kath drives to the grocery store, in search of frozen ducks.)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Sep 2009, 18:16

Agreed, fantastic track and a brilliant opener. Leaving it out is insanity.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2009, 18:22

You are quite right Kath. Epic stuff.
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2009, 18:23

Beno wrote:Of the two tracks posted then Macca wins quite easily. Taking their 70s output though it's Elton by a country mile. When it comes to 70's output I don't think there are many artists at all that can challenge him.

Only Bowie. The two of them must have mainlining creativity at the time, and Rod Stewart was not far behind them. Heady days...

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Sep 2009, 18:28

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

der nister

Postby der nister » 30 Sep 2009, 18:29

yomptepi wrote:
Beno wrote:Of the two tracks posted then Macca wins quite easily. Taking their 70s output though it's Elton by a country mile. When it comes to 70's output I don't think there are many artists at all that can challenge him.

Only Bowie. The two of them must have mainlining creativity at the time, and Rod Stewart was not far behind them. Heady days...

Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young were also having their creative moment
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2009, 18:36

zphage wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young were also having their creative moment

True. What an incredible time we had. Kids today will never appreciate the magic we took for granted.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Sep 2009, 19:08

Kids of each generation have their own music, which they enjoy on their own terms. If they enjoy somebody else's music, that will also be on their own terms -- someone hearing Dylan or The Beatles, or Gary Glitter for the first time today will do so in an entirely different context than those of us who lived through the experience.

Circle of life, and all that.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 30 Sep 2009, 19:21

The synthesiser is incredibly lame & clumsy and spoils what could have been a great song: that's how it sounds to me, anyway.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Sep 2009, 21:19

I'm listening to Capt. Fantastic at the moment. It really is one of my favorite albums. And unlike all his other ones, the songs are actually imbued with real emotion. Not that EJ wasn't adept at putting over songs even if they weren't "felt" literally, it's just nice to hear him sing about things that matter to him and Bernie. It's funny they had to do a concept album in order to get real. One usually thinks of concept albums as being pretentious somehow.

Some of the songs are truly cool and wonderful ("Better Off Dead", "Tower of Babel"), and the "We All Fall in Love Sometimes"/"Curtains" medley is heartrending. "Writing" is incredibly moving too, sort of the heart of the album. A number of the songs have "boogie" elements, to reach fruition on Blue Moves. A song like "Bitter Fingers" is weird because the verse is pure melodic rock, then the chorus kicks in in double-time and harmonized sha-la-las. "Meal Ticket" reverses these, with a funky verse ("whoo!") then Anglo-rock chorus with a Leslieized White Album guitar solo. He's always rode this line between American and English, funky and melodic, profound and inane. I loved this album from my younger years, so I may not have a very objective view of it. What do you think of it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2009, 21:34

Quaco wrote:I'm listening to Capt. Fantastic at the moment. It really is one of my favorite albums. And unlike all his other ones, the songs are actually imbued with real emotion. Not that EJ wasn't adept at putting over songs even if they weren't "felt" literally, it's just nice to hear him sing about things that matter to him and Bernie. It's funny they had to do a concept album in order to get real. One usually thinks of concept albums as being pretentious somehow.

Some of the songs are truly cool and wonderful ("Better Off Dead", "Tower of Babel"), and the "We All Fall in Love Sometimes"/"Curtains" medley is heartrending. "Writing" is incredibly moving too, sort of the heart of the album. A number of the songs have "boogie" elements, to reach fruition on Blue Moves. A song like "Bitter Fingers" is weird because the verse is pure melodic rock, then the chorus kicks in in double-time and harmonized sha-la-las. "Meal Ticket" reverses these, with a funky verse ("whoo!") then Anglo-rock chorus with a Leslieized White Album guitar solo. He's always rode this line between American and English, funky and melodic, profound and inane. I loved this album from my younger years, so I may not have a very objective view of it. What do you think of it?

One of my favourite albums ever. It is so full of melody, and the arrangements are just superb. It is my favourite reg album after Madman across the Water.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Sep 2009, 22:27

If it comes endorsed by both Michael Lee and Jim Mills, I really have to hear it.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Sep 2009, 22:30

Sir John Coan wrote:If it comes endorsed by both Michael Lee and Jim Mills, I really have to hear it.

Without an emoticon or something, I honestly can't tell what you mean by that comment. :)

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Sep 2009, 22:31

Quaco wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:If it comes endorsed by both Michael Lee and Jim Mills, I really have to hear it.

Without an emoticon or something, I honestly can't tell what you mean by that comment. :)

I was being 100% genuine.

I'm downloading it now.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Sep 2009, 22:38

I dont think its quite as good as what came before, but its got some great tracks and "Someone Saved My Life..." is just about my fave Elton song, and Bitter Fingers, Ticking, and Tower of Babel are all fantastic.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2009, 22:44

The joy of Captain Fantastic is how well it works as a complete album. It just flows so well, and ends magnificently. I like the autobiographical aspect of it too...but the main ingredient is those tunes. Just fantastic.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Sep 2009, 22:47

Am I the only one that likes the Thom Bell sessions?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Sep 2009, 22:52

yomptepi wrote:The joy of Captain Fantastic is how well it works as a complete album. It just flows so well, and ends magnificently. I like the autobiographical aspect of it too...but the main ingredient is those tunes. Just fantastic.

True, it works very well as a piece, and most of the songs are truly great. The songs taken out of context are a bit weird. Kitchen-sink imagery combined with '70s pinball wizard production, similar on the surface (though sounding nothing like) Quadrophenia. Looking back from the '70s to the early '60s...

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 01 Oct 2009, 00:35

toomanyhatz wrote:Am I the only one that likes the Thom Bell sessions?

Dear Lord, no. That's good shit, man!

Dave, I haven't heard THIS song in 30 years, yet I've had the chorus in my head for about a month.

The rhythm guitar is dated like old cheese, I'm afraid.

Return to “Yakety Yak”