The Grooviest Girl in the World - The Fun 'n' Games

Do talk back
Thesiger

The Grooviest Girl in the World - The Fun 'n' Games

Postby Thesiger » 18 Sep 2009, 07:56

Fantastic track. Sounds like it must surely have been a worldwide bubblegum smash but apparently only made #78 in the US charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HxghCG ... re=related

p.s. How do you embed You TUbe clips?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Quaco
F R double E

Re: The Grooviest Girl in the World - The Fun 'n' Games

Postby Quaco » 18 Sep 2009, 07:59

Thesiger wrote:p.s. How do you embed You TUbe clips?

Copy and paste everything after the equals sign between the two things you get when you hit the YOUTUBE button above.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Sep 2009, 08:02

You just need to put the lettered/numbered code imbetween the youtube button.

Thanks for posting that, I thought it was terrific, particularly the energetic wall of sound production.

Billy

Postby Billy » 18 Sep 2009, 08:03

That got reissued by Revola a couple of years back on a comp wrapping up all their work.

Inevitable link

All good fun in a bubblegum way!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Sep 2009, 08:04

Strangely enough, I don't think I'd ever heard it before this week, but I've been playing a bubblegum comp with it all week and found myself drawn specifically to that song.

You sir, are a guy with impeccable taste.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 18 Sep 2009, 11:18

So I do it like this?

[youtube]l-HxghCGJ-s&feature[/youtube]

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 18 Sep 2009, 12:29

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:You sir, are a guy with impeccable taste....

...ahhhhh.

And I think it's a great track too. In fact I can't get the bugger out of my head...

There's nothing wrong with "bubblegum" of course, but does the term really apply to this track? I mean if it had appeared on something like the first Nuggets comp then no-one would have batted an eyelid right? It's not important, obviously, but you know...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 Sep 2009, 12:42

I like it but their real beaut is It Must have Been The Wind - very exciting indeed.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 18 Sep 2009, 13:25

Show Biz Kids wrote: There's nothing wrong with "bubblegum" of course, but does the term really apply to this track? I mean if it had appeared on something like the first Nuggets comp then no-one would have batted an eyelid right? It's not important, obviously, but you know...

Billy posted a link to Elephant Candy (above) and here's the AMG Review;
The Fun and Games' Elephant Candy is an exemplary harmony pop and bubblegum album dating back to the late '60s. Its popularity today (especially among soft pop collectors, who have helped pushed copies of the LP into the upper strata of the marketplace) can be traced directly to the group's involvement with über-talented Los Angeles singer/songwriter/producer Gary Zekley. Zekley (who passed away in 1996) had previously struck gold as a songwriter/producer for a group called the Yellow Balloon, co-writing eight of that group's 11 LP tracks, including the hit song "Yellow Balloon." Zekley had already written or co-written (often with his songwriting partner, Mitchell Bottler) numerous soft pop hits, including "Like a Summer Rain" for Jan & Dean and the original version of "Superman" by the Clique (later covered by R.E.M.). By 1968, Zekley's success had led him to be introduced to a California-by-way-of-Texas group called the Fun and Games by UNI Records president Russ Regan. Unlike several of Zekley's groups -- which were mostly a vehicle for Zekley and Bottler's songs, and mostly utilized session musicians -- the Fun and Games were a real group. Nevertheless, Zekley took control of their destiny, and ended up producing the group's sole album, 1969's Elephant Candy, co-writing seven of the 12 songs featured on the album. Elephant Candy wasn't as successful as Zekley's previous efforts, however, and spawned just one Top 100 hit, "Grooviest Girl in the World." Today, many soft pop and bubblegum fans like to point out the song's unintentionally hilarious lyrics, during which the singer sums up his excessive compliments to the groovy girl by stating, "And I'm a guy with impeccable taste" (as if she should be flattered that such an amazing guy would be tossing compliments her way -- such an ego!). It is rather unfortunate that this album hasn't been reissued in the U.S. on compact disc, although "Grooviest Girl" (and other tracks) have appeared on numerous compilation albums, including 25 All-Time Greatest Bubblegum Hits. ~ Bryan Thomas, All Music Guide

And another one here; Delving into bubblegum territory this time they give us Houston, Texas’ own The Fun and Games. Now Texas doesn’t seem like the likely place for a late sixties pop-sike band and with songs like Close to Carmel and Topanga Canyon Road, not to mention the multi-part Beach Boys harmonies and a cover of Don’t Worry Baby you’d swear these kids grew up in the valley or some suburb of L.A. Surprisingly enough though Houston actually had a music scene back in the day. The Red Crayola, the Clique, Bubble Puppy, and Fever Tree all called Houston home.

Elephant Candy was recorded in Houston by one Gary Zekley at a place called Andrus Productions where one of the more notable Texas bands, the Thirteenth Floor Elevators had also recorded. If anything accounts for the distinctly west-coast sound that the Fun and Games had, it would most likely have to do with Zekley who came fresh off the heels of producing the sunshine-pop album by the Yellow Balloon. Zekley had also worked with Jan & Dean and had been around more than a few Brian Wilson and Phil Spector studio sessions.

The first track off the album, Grooviest Girl in the World was the only song they would chart with nationally and is an infectious pop song of the highest sugary order. With lines like, you’re a feminine portrait of grace, you’re the grooviest girl in the world, and I’m a guy with impeccable taste....ahhh. It’s laughable to a certain degree but underneath the dated goofy lyrics is a driving piano, some killer farfisa and particularly tight harmonies.

The detailed liner notes tell that the band’s vocal arrangements were hugely influenced by The Association and this is evident on tracks like Close to Carmel and Something I Wrote which feature ever so subtle sitar flourishes in the background. The standout tracks however seem to be the ones that don’t garner many comparisons to other bands. It Must Have Been the Wind is like a somber bubblegum number that collided with some incongruous fuzz guitar. The guitar lends a certain spookiness with these ethereal harmonies floating over the mix - but it works.

Elephant Candy is like a jump up and down fist pumping drug anthem which is something neither the Beach Boys and certainly not the Association would tackle. It’s uncertain what kind of drug Elephant Candy refers to but whatever it is it sounds like a lot of fun.

If you’re a fan of west coast sunshine pop, Curt Boettcher, Gary Usher, or any of the other aforementioned bands you’ll want to check this one out. Includes 5 bonus 45 versions of album tracks and one non-lp single.

---Ryan Hamilton

TRACKLIST
Sadie
Grooviest Girl In The World
Close To Carmel
Topanga Canyon Road (Album Version)
Gotta Say Goodbye
Don't Worry Baby
Elephant Candy
Something I Wrote
Way She Smiles
It Must Have Been The Wind
Elephant Candy (Single Version)
Way She Smiles (Single Version)
Grooviest Girl In The Worl (Single Track)
It Must Have Been The Wind (Single Version)
We (Single Version)
Gotta Say Goodbye (Single Version)

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 18 Sep 2009, 15:59

Cheers for the info, Thesiger.

Yeah, it wasn't as if I didn't think it was a bubblegum track, but I think the track has a kind of harder edge, or sounds a little fuller on than something like (to use the obvious example) The Archies, hence my question.

And it's strange that I've just heard this track again, because I could have sworn I heard it just very recently, but I can't exactly remember where. I had a search through my itunes, but there was no reference. I might just have to go and get the comp that Billy mentioned (as did the review).

(I think my Nuggets point still stands like... :? :mrgreen: )

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 19 Sep 2009, 03:12

I've used The Fun And Games on Mix Club discs, and they always go down a hit.

I think this is my favorite on the album, as it walks the tightrope between stupid and genius with great aplomb:

You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 19 Sep 2009, 13:14

neville harp wrote:I like it but their real beaut is It Must have Been The Wind - very exciting indeed.

Oh yes, this is rather good. Rather superior bubblegum. NIce harmonies, excellent psychedelic guitar, good production.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/skuQ0rPXRtQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/skuQ0rPXRtQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Zombeels
Misinformed Music Critic

Postby Zombeels » 22 Sep 2009, 17:53

I've had this album for over 30 years. I find it odd that half the songs were recorded in Mono. I think "Elephant Candy" is the better song and I love the song "Something I Wrote" I used to believe the name of the band was Elephant Candy as that name appears first on the spine and the front jacket.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Zombeels/favourite_songs

I still like the Kinks

Clippernolan wrote:The Beatles are both fab and gear, with greater amounts of both fabness and gearity than any other band.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Jan 2018, 00:23

just a peach
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Jan 2018, 14:05

8-)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Yakety Yak”