Sir Douglas Quintet

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: Sir Douglas Quintet

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jun 2009, 17:13

Snarfyguy wrote:How was the album he did with the rhythm section from CCR?

That seemed like a good idea for a match-up.

It's good, though I wouldn't put it among his very best. Good rhythm section, though!

Juke Box Music is alright, but this is my favorite of the later albums:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Jun 2009, 19:44

Now on a handy two-fer for a mere £ 8.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Jun 2009, 19:51

I've always been a fan of Doug and the Quintet but the last year or so I've been buying lots of his music.
Some of his albums are a bit hit and miss but they're always interesting.
Groover's paradise is one of the lesser ones I think.

Oh, and the Tornados were a supergroup too!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Jun 2009, 23:47

Six String wrote:
Sir Baron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Am I mistaken, however, by including Doug Sahm solo albums in this thread rather than those of the Sir Douglas Quintet?

Yeah, but it's not like anyone's gonna care. The version of "Is Anyone Goin' To San Antone" during the Wexler sessions is definitive -- one of the greatest things he ever recorded.

I certainly don't care as I had to mention his Juke Box Music album on the Antone's label. It was produced and mixed by none other than George Rains. Those who were at The Continental with The Denny Freeman
B-3 Organ Trio might remember that the drummer in the band was one George Rains. I'm assuming it's the same guy but I don't know that for a fact. I wish I could have talked to George a little more after the gig. He's played with just about everybody of worth who comes through Austin.

It's the same Rains. He plays on the Atlantic Tex-Wex records.

Six String wrote:Have you heard this Juke Box album Baron?

Not in years. I remember it being fairly straightforward blues. Sahm is about the only person I would tolerate that from.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Jun 2009, 23:48

Charlie O. wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:How was the album he did with the rhythm section from CCR?

That seemed like a good idea for a match-up.

It's good, though I wouldn't put it among his very best. Good rhythm section, though!

My boss at the record store loved this record, and he was a serious Sahm man. I always hated it. I thought it sounded as bad as the cover looked. But people here seem to like it. I'll probably buy it (now that it has been reissued) just for the hell of it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2009, 03:59

Yeah, Juke Box is pretty bluesy I guess but there's some r&b (She Put the Hurt on Me)on it too and it's a nice bar band/party album when you're in the mood for something like that.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 11 Jun 2009, 04:01

Six String wrote:Yeah, Juke Box is pretty bluesy I guess but there's some r&b (She Put the Hurt on Me)on it too and it's a nice bar band/party album when you're in the mood for something like that.

Prince La La?
That would be classic Sahm material, actually (Gulf Coast all the way).
I'll collect 'em all eventually.

der nister

Postby der nister » 11 Jun 2009, 04:23

i am gonna go out on the limb here and simply state i dug up my Hip O box and have been enjoying it.

music = enjoyment
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Jun 2009, 04:33

My recollection of Juke Box Music (I haven't actually listened to it since just after it came out) is that it was mostly triplet-ballads. Which I do like, but this was maybe a little too much of 'em in one place for my tastes.

And just in case there are any industry moguls lurking here: it's about time somebody reissued the sides Doug cut for the Renner label ca. 1961-'64 - that's some lost gold, right there.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 11 Jun 2009, 06:17

Charlie O. wrote:My recollection of Juke Box Music (I haven't actually listened to it since just after it came out) is that it was mostly triplet-ballads.

I do need it!

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 01 Jul 2009, 04:34

Lance Matthew wrote:Image
Mendocino 1969
Easily my favorite Sir Douglas Quintet record. Virtually every song a gem and the perfect Texan-transplant-in-the-Bay-Area album. The title track was (along with the earlier version of "She's About a Mover") their only top 40 hit, and the album also contains "I Wanna Be Your Mama Again," "At The Crossroads," "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down," and "Texas Me." Paul Gambaccini had this listed in his Top 200 Best Albums book over thirty years ago and that's when I first became aware of it. Make this your first purchase.
Auggie Meyer rules, fools!

Mendocino really is excellent. A great place to start, as Matt suggests. It has some of my favorite Sir Doug tunes that aren't on the excellent ubiquitous compilation (Best of Doug Sahm & The Sir Douglas Quintet 1968-1975). To wit: "I Don't Want," "If You Really Want Me To I'll Go," and "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down" (which sounds like pure San Antonio AM Gold). And then there are better known jams. It's impossible not to like.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jul 2009, 05:57

il Baron wrote:
Mendocino 1969
Easily my favorite Sir Douglas Quintet record. Virtually every song a gem and the perfect Texan-transplant-in-the-Bay-Area album. The title track was (along with the earlier version of "She's About a Mover") their only top 40 hit, and the album also contains "I Wanna Be Your Mama Again," "At The Crossroads," "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down," and "Texas Me." Paul Gambaccini had this listed in his Top 200 Best Albums book over thirty years ago and that's when I first became aware of it. Make this your first purchase.
Auggie Meyer rules, fools!

Mendocino really is excellent. A great place to start, as Matt suggests. It has some of my favorite Sir Doug tunes that aren't on the excellent ubiquitous compilation (Best of Doug Sahm & The Sir Douglas Quintet 1968-1975). To wit: "I Don't Want," "If You Really Want Me To I'll Go," and "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down" (which sounds like pure San Antonio AM Gold). And then there are better known jams. It's impossible not to like.

It's my favorite, too.

And allegedly, most of the tracks were just demos - but when the title track became a hit, Smash decided they needed a follow-up album pronto and, well, here yuh go!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jul 2009, 05:59

goldwax wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:And just in case there are any industry moguls lurking here: it's about time somebody reissued the sides Doug cut for the Renner label ca. 1961-'64 - that's some lost gold, right there.

:oops:

What, you got promoted to mogul? Cool!

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 01 Jul 2009, 06:04

I heard the music for first time just last week - I can't say my favorite yet but I like almost of it a lot...

chunky

Postby chunky » 01 Jul 2009, 06:32

I owned a vinyl copy of Mendocino. Didn't that have His Bobness on it somewhere? Had not heard a lot of Doug other than that until I found a Texas Tornados CD. I now have 3 of em. The first one is a killer. Even Freddy Fender sounds great.
I'm a country member.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 01 Jul 2009, 13:56

il Baron wrote:Mendocino really is excellent. A great place to start, as Matt suggests. It has some of my favorite Sir Doug tunes that aren't on the excellent ubiquitous compilation (Best of Doug Sahm & The Sir Douglas Quintet 1968-1975). To wit: "I Don't Want," "If You Really Want Me To I'll Go," and "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down" (which sounds like pure San Antonio AM Gold). And then there are better known jams. It's impossible not to like.

Ah if only I wasn't so wiped out and keen to watch Ingmar Bergman films on that last Sunday in Austin. This would probably have made a more perfect Austinian souvenir than those George Jones albums (great as they are).

Got fond memories of 'Stoned Faces Don't Lie'.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Postby Brin » 01 Jul 2009, 14:32

Ive actually got this..and I didnt even know how I got it???
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 02 Jul 2009, 00:12

Brin wrote:Ive actually got this..and I didnt even know how I got it???

I'm pretty sure that's out of print and was a limited deal.
It compiles his two Atlantic LPs and a bunch of unreleased stuff.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 02 Jul 2009, 03:50

Honkey Blues 1968
They'd recorded easily enough material in the form of singles and what not for an album prior to this but Honkey Blues is the first LP proper. It's not bad but not really what it should have been either. The band was living in the Bay Area at this point, Sahm trying his hand at being a Hippie in Northern California and not his beloved Texas. I recommend "Are In-Laws Really Outlaws" and one or two more but on the whole, the album's jazzy leanings and slight psychedelic feel don't really suit the boys.

I think this is basically right, except that Sahm wasn't trying anything. He was as Hippie as it got. A lot of these songs are sort of standard R&B type tunes (with typically ridiculous Sahm lyrics), and then they get all . . . weird. "Sell A Song" mutates into this sort of devolved, disintegrating vamp, which goes into the weird, sort of brief free jazz intro to "Song of Everything," which is classic dopey Sahm. "Song of everything has something for somebody" . . . "when you're there, breath air" . . . "and you know it's the season to groove." But it also has a classic horn line with atmospheric organ, and the chorus is amazing, and then it devolves into bullshit jazz jamming, repeat, so forth. "I'm Glad For Your Sake (But I'm Sorry For Mine)" is a stone classic Gulf Coast ballad. But wait! It gets weird with with freaky, massed fiddles with tons of reverb on them. There's psych-country in my triplets! The theme (freaky fiddles) starts "Whole Lotta Peace Of Mind" (I'm serious) and blows out progressively through the song. There are great moments and feelings throughout the song, but the song just isn't that good. So it sounds really cool, but there's nothing there. After about five minutes, it too devolves into weird saxophone bits. "You Never Get Too Big And You Sure Don't Get Too Heavy, That You Don't Have To Stop And Pay Some Dues Sometime" is really a song. This one is pretty strong melodically and production wise, but the decay into weird, random shit is more abrupt and profound (not in the "deep" sense). It's a suitable end to the record.

Overall, it's simply not a great record. It's a mess. It's a shame he didn't focus himself more -- there are enough great bits scattered hither and yon to really stitch something special together. But I think I prefer it as a mess, and I'm more and more tolerant of it. Of course, the songs I love, I've always loved. You need it, if nothing else, to make your Doug Sahm comp.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jul 2009, 04:26

That's one that grew on me over time, but I pretty much love it now. It's a vibe record - you don't listen to it for the songwriting*, but for the freaky mood of it.

I think that Matt wasn't saying that Doug was "trying to be a hippie," but that he was trying it far away from home - and that sense of uprootedness, of being a stranger in a strange land, is all over this record, and the next two, too.

* "Glad For Your Sake" notwithstanding... are there really psychedelic fiddles on that one? I don't remember 'em. I will note, though, that the fiddle lick that appears in "Whole Lotta Peace Of Mind" would reappear, minus the psych trappings, in "Texas Me" on Mendocino - which, for all we know, may have been recorded first. Hell, it could even be the same fiddle track!