49%

Total votes: 105

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Rolling Stones vs. David Bowie

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Sep 2013, 19:36

The G Experience! wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I voted Stones too, but Bowie owned the 70s, just as the Stones were starting to slip.

The Stones retained the edge in the 80s, however, while Bowie rolled downhill.

Come off it, The Stones were has-beens trading off past glories by the turn of the 80s.
The last time they sounded vaguely relevant was Some Girls.

If it's 'relevant' you're looking for, neither of them could offer that by 1981.

"Start Me Up" is a much better single than anything by Bowie, however.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Sep 2013, 19:40

toomanyhatz wrote:"Start Me Up" is a much better single than anything by Bowie, however.

In the 80s, yeah. But I never liked it anyway. By-the-numbers knock-off with awful lyrics and horrible production. Its popularity has always baffled me.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Sep 2013, 19:41

toomanyhatz wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I voted Stones too, but Bowie owned the 70s, just as the Stones were starting to slip.

The Stones retained the edge in the 80s, however, while Bowie rolled downhill.

Come off it, The Stones were has-beens trading off past glories by the turn of the 80s.
The last time they sounded vaguely relevant was Some Girls.

If it's 'relevant' you're looking for, neither of them could offer that by 1981.

Every single Bowie released from Scary Monsters was better, as was the title track from Lets Dance.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2013, 19:42

no no no, hatz, 'ashes to ashes' beats 'start me up' all across town.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Sep 2013, 19:44

kath wrote:no no no, hatz, 'ashes to ashes' beats 'start me up' all across town.

Not to me. I've never gotten the appeal of "Ashes to Ashes."
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

kath

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2013, 19:45

toomanyhatz wrote:
kath wrote:no no no, hatz, 'ashes to ashes' beats 'start me up' all across town.

Not to me. I've never gotten the appeal of "Ashes to Ashes."

might i suggest that there is sumthin wrong with yer very BRAIIIIIN?

just kiddin. i'm sure most of yer braiiiiin is just fine.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Sep 2013, 19:47

jimboo wrote:Who's coolness? It is almost comical ,middle class educated dandies playing at being street urchins, smoke and mirrors. At times brilliant, agreed. Bowie is just what I want from a musician. He is cool.

The Stones weren't playing 'street urchins'. What they came to represent was some kind of alternative, middle class bohemian lifestyle.....drugs, models, radical chic etc but with a helicopter waiting in the wings to chopper them away when the crowd got nasty. of course by the time we get to the mid 70s the radical chic has gone and you're just left with the drugs and the women.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Sep 2013, 19:50

I would say that Tattoo You is about as good a Stones album as Scary Monsters is a Bowie album, and both have a completely terrible 80s after that.

Bowie had a better 90s with a few interesting tracks from Earthling & Outside. The Stones have almost nothing of interest.

On balance, if we're talking total career, I'd go with the Stones.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Sep 2013, 19:51

toomanyhatz wrote:

what, ever?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 10 Sep 2013, 20:19

The G Experience! wrote:Every single Bowie released from Scary Monsters was better, as was the title track from Lets Dance.

As was 'Absolute Beginners'. 'Start Me Up' is an ugly, squally record.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Sep 2013, 20:22

'Start Me Up' is fucking brilliant.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Sep 2013, 20:26

Goat Boy wrote:
jimboo wrote:Who's coolness? It is almost comical ,middle class educated dandies playing at being street urchins, smoke and mirrors. At times brilliant, agreed. Bowie is just what I want from a musician. He is cool.

The Stones weren't playing 'street urchins'. What they came to represent was some kind of alternative, middle class bohemian lifestyle.....drugs, models, radical chic etc but with a helicopter waiting in the wings to chopper them away when the crowd got nasty. of course by the time we get to the mid 70s the radical chic has gone and you're just left with the drugs and the women.

Great comment. On a similar note, I read a quote somewhere about how Altamont really affected the band. The next tour, they were on a high stage, with security guys, the were superstars through and through on their own jet, and never again did they fraternize with the masses.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Sep 2013, 21:37

Can't You Hear Me Knocking is sublime so I voted accordingly.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Sep 2013, 21:59

Goat Boy wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

what, ever?

Read the whole post. I may be crazy but I'm not that crazy!
Footy wrote:

kath

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2013, 22:09

the masked man wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:Every single Bowie released from Scary Monsters was better, as was the title track from Lets Dance.

As was 'Absolute Beginners'. 'Start Me Up' is an ugly, squally record.

i can't listen to 'start me up' even pseudo-objectively anymore. it was and is played at just about every damn football game that ever starts, even peewee football... or kickoff that starts... or halftime that starts... or beer run that starts, or watch that starts, etcetcetc.

i *do* remember there being a time when i thought it was okay enough, sure. bounceable, instantly forgettable. but if i want basic rock by numbers kinda stones (and they can do that better than just about anybody when they really wanna)... in the 80s... i want that lil cranked up, sped up chuck berry track. 'she was hot'. yeahhh. i liiiiike that. from one of those 80s albums that average two good tracks... which would be all of em. (i like some others on tattoo you... lil T & A, hang fire, what's that other one, gotdammit? )

i do luvv absolute beginners. especially the beeb version. that one just strokes my artichokes somehow. i love most of let's dance and half of tonight's the night. what. i actually like some of the 90s stones better than some of 90s bowie, just by a smidgen.

p.s. any excuse in a.. ... kinda calm, nonstormy day.

Last edited by kath on 10 Sep 2013, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

kath

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2013, 22:10

Princess Fiona wrote:Can't You Hear Me Knocking is sublime so I voted accordingly.

and you would be correct on this. ::sigh::

kath

Postby kath » 10 Sep 2013, 22:13

Quaco wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

Great comment. On a similar note, I read a quote somewhere about how Altamont really affected the band. The next tour, they were on a high stage, with security guys, the were superstars through and through on their own jet, and never again did they fraternize with the masses.

i remember the first time i ever watched gimme shelter... watchin mick's face when he first saw the real crowd footage... you can't fake that crap.

(even though i kinda stayed with the whole sleasy drugs and women chic stones, too...)

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 10 Sep 2013, 22:43

I love classic period Bowie (though do not put Station to Station as high as some others) but the Stones are way ahead.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Sep 2013, 23:21

Those Bowie albums from '72-'74 sounded a bit like the Stones when you think about it.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Sep 2013, 23:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Those Bowie albums from '72-'74 sounded a bit like the Stones when you think about it.

There were certainly very Stones-y tracks there - 'Watch That Man' and 'Diamond Dogs' spring to mind.

Return to “Yakety Yak”