Moby Grape

Do talk back
User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Charlie O. » 27 May 2010, 03:40

zoomboogity wrote:
Balboa wrote:And 'Dark Magic' still sounds like one of the most whacked out things ever!

There's an alternate version floating around the trader circuit, taken at a much brisker tempo (and in the key of C, where this one is in A).

Don't know if I've heard that one, but are we sure that the tape wasn't just speeded up (or recorded too slow)? C is a weird key for a guitar band to be droning in.
Image

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 27 May 2010, 05:25

It's on one of the boots, either Dark Magic or Long Gone. They're not going for the spacey droney thing, they're revving it up and rocking it out. They still use that main riff before the singing comes back in, and it sounds like the same words. I think it was written with the idea of being whatever they needed at the time - slow, fast, whatever.
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2010, 04:27

Image
Image

User avatar
Balboa
Posts: 17579
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 13:31

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Balboa » 09 Jun 2010, 08:15

Yeah, I loved that picture too. The others were just unbearably sad - I'm feeling kinda cut up about them.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 09 Jun 2010, 09:14

I wasn't sure about PM'ing you those pics. Kinda sorry I even found them in the first place. He once said in an interview (around the time of those photos) that the 1970s and 1980s were pretty much a mystery to him as far as remembering anything that happened. At one point Skip notices the interviewer taking notes, which leads to the following exchange (I'm paraphrasing, but memory serves fairly well):

"I keep a diary too."

"Really? I'd love to read it."

"Well, you can't, it's on tape."

"We can play it, then."

"It's not here."

"Where is it?"

"It's in my office... which is in heaven."


That article has been scrubbed off the net, perhaps because someone agreed to a phone interview and didn't come off too well. It's all just part of a very sad, very real story. At least he'd gotten off the streets in his final years, reunited with family, etc. I found these photos from that period of Skip, Peter and Bob with a friend of theirs (my guess is around 1997):

http://www.paulb.com/sbbp5.htm

http://www.paulb.com/skip_bob_peter5.htm

...and here's a bunch of photos of Peter with David West at what I believe is his most recent L.A. gig (Coffee House Backstage, Altadena, 21 June 2003):

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/548290373ZXcNnQ

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 10 Jun 2010, 09:36

Various youtube clips from SXSW 2010.

The Explosives with Peter Lewis, posted by steadyboyrecords (the Austin-based label involved with the Grape's new recordings):

It's Late (Rick Nelson cover)
Sitting By The Window
Fall On You

New Wine (w/Jerry Miller, Don Stevenson and Omar Spence), posted by odogsantacruz - (judging from the comments, Omar himself):

Hey Grandma
Seeing
Omaha

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jun 2010, 19:12

Hey zoomb - do you know what ever became of the proposed Peter Lewis biopic?
Image

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 11 Jun 2010, 01:38

No idea. I don't even know if it went past the idea stage, or what. Some people's stories are so "something right out of a movie" that a movie is hard to create out of them.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Jun 2010, 06:02

I thought it was a pretty bizarre notion, myself. Though I do hope somebody writes a good book on the band someday (after a certain someone dies)...
Image

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 23 Jun 2010, 08:13

Don Stevenson has just released his first-ever solo album:

http://www.donstevensonmusic.com/music.html

with guest appearances by Gordon Stevens (20 Granite Creek) and Jerry Miller.

User avatar
Balboa
Posts: 17579
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 13:31

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Balboa » 23 Jun 2010, 22:13

zoomboogity wrote:Various youtube clips from SXSW 2010.

The Explosives with Peter Lewis, posted by steadyboyrecords (the Austin-based label involved with the Grape's new recordings):

It's Late (Rick Nelson cover)
Sitting By The Window
Fall On You

New Wine (w/Jerry Miller, Don Stevenson and Omar Spence), posted by odogsantacruz - (judging from the comments, Omar himself):

Hey Grandma
Seeing
Omaha



Ooh, I forgot about those even though you mentioned them to me in LA - I'll listen tomorrow!
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 17 Jul 2010, 23:54

Peter Lewis is doing a live set at The Pig 'n' Whistle in Hollywood on August 6. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's a "popular Hollywood restaurant dating back to 1927," so it's just me, then. Don't know if solo, duo or what, but I've seen him do solo shows, and they were great fun - still in good voice, and has lots of stories to share between songs if he wants. Bob and I are going, hope to see some of the other locals there too.

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16107
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Moby Grape

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Jul 2010, 19:55

zoomboogity wrote:Peter Lewis is doing a live set at The Pig 'n' Whistle in Hollywood on August 6. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's a "popular Hollywood restaurant dating back to 1927," so it's just me, then. Don't know if solo, duo or what, but I've seen him do solo shows, and they were great fun - still in good voice, and has lots of stories to share between songs if he wants. Bob and I are going, hope to see some of the other locals there too.


Yeah I'm planning on checking it out. Pig & Whistle is right next door to the Egyptian Theater where they do the Mods & Rockers film fest. I've been in there but never for live music.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
Balboa
Posts: 17579
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 13:31

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Balboa » 19 Jul 2010, 20:06

bobzilla77 wrote:
zoomboogity wrote:Peter Lewis is doing a live set at The Pig 'n' Whistle in Hollywood on August 6. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's a "popular Hollywood restaurant dating back to 1927," so it's just me, then. Don't know if solo, duo or what, but I've seen him do solo shows, and they were great fun - still in good voice, and has lots of stories to share between songs if he wants. Bob and I are going, hope to see some of the other locals there too.


Yeah I'm planning on checking it out. Pig & Whistle is right next door to the Egyptian Theater where they do the Mods & Rockers film fest. I've been in there but never for live music.


Yeah sounds cool - I would definitely be there if it didn't involve a long haul flight! ;)
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 19 Jul 2010, 20:46

Balboa wrote:Yeah sounds cool - I would definitely be there if it didn't involve a long haul flight! ;)


Tell your boss that you have pressing matters to deal with in LA that day. It's not as though you'd been lying or anything!

I just checked with the venue, and they have no information on this - gave me the contact info for the guy booking the show, but rather than call, I'll just see what plays out. It may actually be on the 7th, according to the guy who's doing the show with him:
http://www.mlliebler.com/Appearances/re ... rances.htm

August 7 at 3:00pm M.L. Liebler & Moby Grape's Peter Lewis start west coast mini tour at the Santa Catalina Branch of the Pasadena Public Library on 999 E. Washington Blvd. in Pasadena, CA between 3pm and 5pm. http://saturdayafternoonpoetry.blogspot.com

August 7, Saturday at 8:00pm M.L. Liebler & Peter Lewis & Friends perform at the legendary Pig'N'Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. in Old Hollywood http://www.seeing-stars.com/landmarks/PigNWhistle.shtml

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16107
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Moby Grape

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:37

zoomboogity wrote:
Balboa wrote:Yeah sounds cool - I would definitely be there if it didn't involve a long haul flight! ;)


Tell your boss that you have pressing matters to deal with in LA that day. It's not as though you'd been lying or anything!

I just checked with the venue, and they have no information on this - gave me the contact info for the guy booking the show, but rather than call, I'll just see what plays out. It may actually be on the 7th, according to the guy who's doing the show with him:
http://www.mlliebler.com/Appearances/re ... rances.htm

August 7 at 3:00pm M.L. Liebler & Moby Grape's Peter Lewis start west coast mini tour at the Santa Catalina Branch of the Pasadena Public Library on 999 E. Washington Blvd. in Pasadena, CA between 3pm and 5pm. http://saturdayafternoonpoetry.blogspot.com

August 7, Saturday at 8:00pm M.L. Liebler & Peter Lewis & Friends perform at the legendary Pig'N'Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. in Old Hollywood http://www.seeing-stars.com/landmarks/PigNWhistle.shtml


Oh crap, I hae TWO gigs to do on 8/7 and already turned down two other things. Why does everything good happen on some weekends when others, nothing does?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 20 Jul 2010, 03:02

bobzilla77 wrote:I hae TWO gigs


I see that the wife's Scottish is rubbing off on you...!

Think you might be able to catch the afternoon one in Pasadena?

User avatar
Balboa
Posts: 17579
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 13:31

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Balboa » 20 Jul 2010, 23:24

Tell your boss that you have pressing matters to deal with in LA that day. It's not as though you'd been lying or anything!


I wish!

Seriously, this sounds really cool!
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Jul 2010, 00:04

from the same site:

August 8, Sunday 9-10pm (California Time) M.L. Liebler & Peter Lewis Live on The Poetry Show with Dennis Morton KUSP 88.9 Santa Cruz on http://www.kusp.org


If someone in the area could record this, I'd be much obliged.

Also:

August 11, Wednesday at 8:00pm M.L. Liebler, Peter Lewis, Jef Reynolds, Michael McClure and others in a Benefit for Poetry Flash Magazine at The Askenaz Music & Dance Community Center in Berkeley, CA $10 http://www.ashkenaz.com

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Moby Grape

Postby zoomboogity » 06 Aug 2010, 06:45

I just picked up the L.A. Weekly, and Peter's gig is listed as Friday the 6th, despite what the guy playing the gig has on his site. So hopefully you can make it, Bob.

I also found this recently - never-before-released recordings with Jerry Miller from 1970:

http://www.rhythmdukes.com