Shocking Blue

Do talk back
Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Shocking Blue

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 09 Apr 2009, 15:00

Last Friday at Ne Nous Fâchons Pas in Paris it was all garage, garage, garage. One of the tunes these two young Parisians played was Shocking Blue's Send Me a Postcard, a song I adored in my teens but hadn't heard for probably fifteen years. It still sounded great, even for a Dutch band.
apart from Send Me a Postcard I only know Never Marry a Railroad Man, Inkpot and of course Venus. Are Shocking Blue worth it to buy their albums - if available - or would getting a single best of be quite enough?

Charlie O.

Re: Shocking Blue

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Apr 2009, 15:31

All of their albums with Robbie van Leeuwen (guitarist, songwriter) have some great cuts that you won't find on a best-of... but they certainly are not consistent albums. At Home and Scorpio's Dance come the closest. All of the comps I've seen have a lot of waste cuts... which is too bad, as I could make a really strong 20-or-so tracker without too much difficulty (as I've been meaning to do for ages).

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Apr 2009, 17:55

You could buy At Home and Scorpio's Dance on one CD fairly cheaply a couple of years ago - they're probably their best albums. Could ease that cough if you want?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Apr 2009, 18:34

What was the one that Nirvana covered?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Apr 2009, 18:38

Love Buzz, Coan.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Apr 2009, 18:46

That's it. They drained all the joy out of it.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Apr 2009, 19:10

robertff wrote:You could buy At Home and Scorpio's Dance on one CD fairly cheaply a couple of years ago - they're probably their best albums. Could ease that cough if you want?

I'm guessing the two-fer doesn't have the bonus tracks that are on the one-fer CDs, though. Some of the best songs are bonus tracks!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 Apr 2009, 19:30

I only have a best of which is really great but I'm thinking there's probably more good stuff on the albums.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Apr 2009, 01:49

Charlie O. wrote:
robertff wrote:You could buy At Home and Scorpio's Dance on one CD fairly cheaply a couple of years ago - they're probably their best albums. Could ease that cough if you want?

I'm guessing the two-fer doesn't have the bonus tracks that are on the one-fer CDs, though. Some of the best songs are bonus tracks!

Second that. The bonus-four on At Home (Fireball Of Love, Harley Davidson, Wild Wind and Hot Sand) are very worthwile.

Inkpot is another LP searching for- if you can avoid the horrible cover of Jambalaya, that is.

Been waiting for Fonos to digitize some of Robbie Van Leeuwen's other projects like Galaxy Lin and Mistral- not brilliant but intersting fluff like Long Hot Summer and Starship 109 I liked back when it was released.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”