The greatest rock song of the last fifteen years?

Do talk back
king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Re: The greatest rock song of the last fifteen years?

Postby king feeb » 30 Mar 2009, 09:21

Leg of lamb wrote:My friends:

[youtube]lmTSQZjR3DE&feature=related[/youtube]

I'm not sure how much soul it's listened to, but this would certainly be my nomination.

The Red Heifer wrote:Another great song off a great album, that, Pattern Against User or One Armed Scissor are right up there as well.

Where did this "listen to soul" shit come up?

That Bloody Giraffe wrote:
A good call but Invalid Litter Dept is better.

No you fools! "Cosmonaut"!
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Microserf 70
heart fulla napalm

Postby Microserf 70 » 30 Mar 2009, 09:49

Ranking Rupert wrote:
Microserf 70 wrote:Is it crows feet on your own head, or not being able to keep your prick up? Who knows. As such, I think you're an utter shithead.

If you'd left out the personal insults, that might have been a better way to open up a dialogue.

Just sayin'.

That'd be more valid if I were a newbie, Rupert, but I have 2,800 posts from the old days - I've earned my spurs, played along, and have left in genuine disgust. Besides that, who cares: I'm sick and tired of having my era dismissed. We aren't all iPod shuffle junkies, y'know. If someone (optimistically) wants to give a genuine dissection of the buffet available to us, fine, but it seems pretty knee-jerk to me. Snort, fine, but listen first. I expected better of you, frankly - join the dogpile.

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 30 Mar 2009, 09:54

Tone deaf old Mods like Moddie just don't have any Modern frame of reference. If he's actually listened to something recorded in the last 15 years I'd be truly surprised. ;)

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Mar 2009, 10:03

Microserf 70 wrote: As such, I think you're an utter shithead. Feel free to pile on, board vets, but I just don't understand this mentality. This is such a great board, but it has an insufferably reactionary streak.

Unlike your balanced post calling people shitheads for liking different music to you I suppose. I shall just have to try harder to be as reasonable and tolerant as you are. :lol:

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 30 Mar 2009, 10:09

There've been dozens of great rock songs in the last 15 years - hundreds probably.

Jeez, we're talking about a period when we've had bands like Refused, QOTSA, The Reigning Sound, The Oblivians, The Detroit Cobras, The White Stripes, Mogwai, The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, Radiohead, Dead Meadow, Comets On Fire, Boris, The Black Keys, Ghost, The Dirtbombs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Electralane and quite a few more all making tremendously exciting music.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Microserf 70
heart fulla napalm

Postby Microserf 70 » 30 Mar 2009, 10:25

Dr Modernist wrote:
Microserf 70 wrote: As such, I think you're an utter shithead. Feel free to pile on, board vets, but I just don't understand this mentality. This is such a great board, but it has an insufferably reactionary streak.

Unlike your balanced post calling people shitheads for liking different music to you I suppose. I shall just have to try harder to be as reasonable and tolerant as you are. :lol:

Har! LOL! ROTFL! My biggest mistake was giving something shiny and profane for you to seize upon, Modernist. I'm still waiting for you to touch upon my general point. Have you even heard enough music from the past 10-15 years to justify such meaty theses as 'rock is dead?' You know full well that my bullseye is on your generationalist snark. The board is probably going to be on your side, yeah, and I'm okay with that. But why don't you just admit that you aren't capable of making such a judgment. It's just so disappointing, because even if board guys aren't attuned to the newest stuff (which is fully natural - shit, I'm not!), aren't music geeks naturally progressive? I'm a huge prick, granted, but hope that fellow geeks will seize upon my idea above board loyalty.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Mar 2009, 11:10

i'd pick something like The Verve's Catching the Butterfly

king of the divan

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 30 Mar 2009, 11:37

I don't think you have to be a reactionary to suggest that rock is dead. Just the opposite, in fact. The music scene is hugely splintered now, but there are obviously a lot of interesting things going on in various genres, electronica for instance. But rock? With some exceptions, it's largely a zombie form these days. It goes on and on, but its continuing relevance is utterly minuscule compared to its heyday, which I'd define as mid-fifties through to the early eighties. The interesting thing about the rock revival of the early noughties was that it didn't add anything new to the mix. The Strokes didn't just riff on late seventies New York rock, didn't just use it as a springboard to something else. They actually sounded like they were some rediscovered remnant from that era. The White Stripes recorded albums using original equipment from the sixties; they wanted to sound like they were from the sixties. And the biggest rock band in the world, U2, really is from 30 years ago. When a genre becomes as rigidly backward-looking as that, then it marks its own end as a relevant artform.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 30 Mar 2009, 11:46

I haven't read all the thread, but would put forward Miss Sarajevo as the best rock song of the last 15 years - if it counts as rock.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Mar 2009, 11:58

Hugo wrote:I don't think you have to be a reactionary to suggest that rock is dead. Just the opposite, in fact. The music scene is hugely splintered now, but there are obviously a lot of interesting things going on in various genres, electronica for instance. But rock? With some exceptions, it's largely a zombie form these days. It goes on and on, but its continuing relevance is utterly minuscule compared to its heyday, which I'd define as mid-fifties through to the early eighties. The interesting thing about the rock revival of the early noughties was that it didn't add anything new to the mix. The Strokes didn't just riff on late seventies New York rock, didn't just use it as a springboard to something else. They actually sounded like they were some rediscovered remnant from that era. The White Stripes recorded albums using original equipment from the sixties; they wanted to sound like they were from the sixties. And the biggest rock band in the world, U2, really is from 30 years ago. When a genre becomes as rigidly backward-looking as that, then it marks its own end as a relevant artform.

Word. Rock is dead...long live, er, electronica!!!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Mar 2009, 12:06

Rock isn't dead, it's very much alive, most of you have just grown out of what is currently rock. Shame, it's pretty good.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Mar 2009, 12:19

Somebody states 'rock is dead' once in a while, and it invariably brings out the most amazingly disparate and idiotic shite that ever gets spouted.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 30 Mar 2009, 12:20

Dick Taxi wrote:Somebody states 'rock is dead' once in a while, and it invariably brings out the most amazingly disparate and idiotic shite that ever gets spouted.

Don't be coy John, name those guilty parties !
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Mar 2009, 12:23

Nick wrote:
Dick Taxi wrote:Somebody states 'rock is dead' once in a while, and it invariably brings out the most amazingly disparate and idiotic shite that ever gets spouted.

They are naughty boys, Nick. Let that suffice.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 30 Mar 2009, 12:38

Dick Taxi wrote:
Nick wrote:

They are naughty boys, Nick. Let that suffice.

:lol:

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Mar 2009, 13:08

Do you mean rock music or rawk! music?

If it's the latter, then try this:

Just a penitent man

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 30 Mar 2009, 15:38

Rock's not dead, but it's refractory period is a bit longer than it used to be. It happens with age. :oops:

What made rock 'RAWK', was the mythology of the Rock Star, and his/her ability to help the audience transcend their own experiences through, for lack of a less pompous term, 'musical catharsis'. Bands were akin to superheroes. These days, everyone's got a band, and if you don't, your Wii or Playstation will make one for you. It's all very Joseph Campbell, which is a reference that dates me badly.

There are, of course, lots of good rock bands out there, but the literal perception of music has changed dramatically in the last 15 years, let alone the last 25 years, and the needs of 'the audience' have changed as well. See Kings of Leon for proof of this. I just don't get them, or their need-a-shower ilk. I can't hear it in their songs, but I accept the fact that the culture actually processes and internalizes music in an entirely different way than it did in my formative years (say...'84-'94). I generally find today's 'popular' rock bands lacking, but I know that this incarnation of 'the audience' wants something else; something they can call their own, and it's not tied to the aesthetics of the past. The price today's 'artists' pay is in 'longevity'. If the medium really is the message, then today's audience has ADD, and will anyone pine for Kings of Leon to reunite in 20 years? Meh. The age of dinosaurs is over, and now it's just several species of small furry animals running amok.

The industry really is an evolutionary tree, and those of us over 35 have to work at it to keep up, or our branch will just...end. The biggest problem, from my lowly position nestled within the areas of low hanging fruit, is that it's so fragmented; so compartmentalized, that it's difficult for any act to stick around long enough to validate their brand, unless they succumb to the succors of 'pop stardom' from the beginning. I couldn't tell you the difference between Screamo and Industrial, or Black Metal and Death Metal, or Trance and House, or Indie-Pop and Alternative, but I know if you call yourself any of those things, you'll never make any real money, and you'll never be a big enough 'star' to gain longevity. I know exactly why Nickelback sells so many CD's, and it's not much different than the reason Coke sells so many sodas. For better or worse, the formula for commercial success works, and it ALWAYS trumps artistry. Always.

We all agree that Nickelback blows, but they are a 'rock' band, so how did they get so freakin' huge in an era of cubicles? The answer begs the question.

I really like that Biffy Clyro track, but those aren't 'Rock Stars'. Those are your buddies, recording in a basement. That's not their fault, and they sound great, but they don't have the marketing machine, the stylists, the attorneys, the managers, the producers, the A&R men, and the accountants to turn themselves into Nickelback. Were it not for the consumate taste of Funky Nomad, I would never have heard of them.

It used to be that the music was the product, and the artist sold shirts and posters and tickets to the show, where the audience could perform a mini-bachanalia and release their demons. These days, the artist is the product, which by definition puts an expiration date on the art, and makes it difficult to foster the long term relationship with the audience necessary to become a legend, or even a standard bearer for a genre, like 'rock', in the industry. Clearly, 'Rock' lives, but the clarion days when Rock Stars represented the angry voice of youth culture are greatly diminished, and very likely behind it. Jay-Z popped a cap in it's ass, so now it's flying, David Lee Roth scissor kick from the drum platform just isn't what it used to be.

Holy shit...sorry for the babbling rant.

PS--The greatest rock song of the last 15 years is clearly 'Song for The Dead' by Queens of The Stone Age. Both Songs for The Deaf and Rated R are fucking stellar rock albums. I did like 'Woman' by Wolfmother, and 'Everlong' by Foo Fighters. I also quite like a little band from Phoenix, AZ., called Bionic Jive. Their record, 'Armageddon in Your Speaker,' is about the only witness I can present in defense of 'Rap-Metal'. Yikes.

End transmission.
Freak out. Far out.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Mar 2009, 16:00

Estimated Buddha wrote:Were it not for the consumate taste of Funky Nomad

I think I speak for quite a few when I ask: are you drunk?
Just a penitent man

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 30 Mar 2009, 16:04

funky_nomad wrote:

No, but I am stoned as fuck.
Freak out. Far out.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Mar 2009, 16:05

Estimated Buddha wrote:
funky_nomad wrote:

No, but I am stoned as fuck.

Good man.
Just a penitent man

Return to “Yakety Yak”