Siblings in Rock....

Do talk back
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Siblings in Rock....

Postby Matty Red Sox » 19 Feb 2009, 22:03

I don't mean the brothers Gallager or even ESG or the Bee Gees... but your own siblings. I've heard a bit about how Fred's older brothers influenced him musically as well as some other posters - but what of the rest of us?

My brother and I were in a bit of competition... but I had a LOT More music than he did, but there were certain rules of the relationship... more or less albums were kept separate but could and should be shared and you'd better be careful with the other guy's stuff. We also tended to listen together where I wanted - either his room or mine, but my choice (he had a better stereo - mine often lost one of the channels). Then there were the rules of record buying... we only had one double (I had Cheap Trick Budokan, and while we were in Ireland he had to get his own copy on yellow vinyl). We realized that doubling up was stupid, so from about 1977 or 78 we only had one double until well into college days around 85- when our tastes really diverged.

I tended to get the larger overdone projects by an artist (I suffered fro the quantity over quality flaw that was huge amongst 70's artists frequently), and he often got the one key album by an artist... rarely having more than one album by any particular artist. The Led Zeppelin thread gave me this idea...as I realized tha he had the better LPs and I'm now rebuying stuff.

Here' some of the break down
Led Zep
Him:
II and IV
Me:
Physical Graffitti
Song Remains the Same
Presence
In Through the Out Door

Beatles
I had everything before he ever bought a record - to this day he probably has only owned some best of, such as Love Songs

Rolling Stones
His, but since he dind't get many things, I eventually have better stuff.
He owned in order:
Rolled Gold
Made in the Shade
Emotional Rescue
Sucking in the Seventies

Me
at first only Some Girls and Love You Live
then...
Exile on Main St
Let It Bleed
Get Yer Ya Yas
Tattoo You
The Crap 80's live with Going to a go go

Springsteen
Him
Born to Run
Darkness

Me
Asbury Park
The River
Born In the USA

Doors
Him
LA Woman

Me
Weird Scenes in the Goldmine

The Who
Him
Tommy
Stampede (a bootleg of the Cincy concert)
Hooligans best of
Quadrophenia Soundtrack - not the who version

Me
Kids Are Alright
Quadrophenia
The Story of the Who
Face Dances
It's Hard
Who's Last

The Clash
all mine, like the Beatles

Talking Heads
Him
More Songs...

Me
Fear of Music
Remain In Light
The Name of this Band
Speaking

Ramones
Him
End of the Century

Me
Everything else

The Police
Him
a single of Can't Stand losing
Spirits in the Material World

Me
Everything else

Pink Floyd
Him
DSOTM

Me
a cassette of Meddle

Bob Marley
Him
Live

Me
Babylon By Bus

Neil Young
Him
Rust Never Sleeps

Me
Live Rust

Cheap trick

Him
In Color
Budokan

Me
S/T
Budokan

Van Halen
Him
Diver Down

me
S/T

Grateful Dead
Him
This was his band, he could own as much as he wanted and never worry that I would say, ohhh I wanted that album... of course I was well on my way into punk by this time too... he had a shitload of 20 minute songs as I called it...

Yes
Him - see the above

ELP
Him - see above

Kinks
I had Give the People what they want

he had a shitload of bad comps... and that crappy One From the Road Live thing...

KISS
Him
Destroyer

Me
Alive
Double Platinum
S/T

AC/DC
Him
Back In Black

Me
Highway to Hell

To this day, i see certain albums and reference them as his rather than mine... for example, I've purchased two copies of BTR, and my brother probably hasn't had any Springsteen albums in two decades - yet I always think of it as "his". Lola is his song, the Beatles are mine, studio Stray Cat Blues is his, mine is live....

Ohh and for those of you ready to punch holes in our pretty good collection...things such as Zep I weren't purchased, as friends owned it, same with Meaty Beaty and Who Are You...

Am I nuts?
the Eagles suck.

C
Robust

Re: Siblings in Rock....

Postby C » 19 Feb 2009, 22:14

Matty Red Sox wrote:Am I nuts?

Affirmative

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Feb 2009, 22:16

C wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:Am I nuts?

Affirmative

Seconded.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Feb 2009, 05:35

My brother and I are a year apart. I was the guy figuring out chords and he was the guy figuring out Jimmy Page and Angus Young solos.

I hate to say it but he discovered Cheap Trick. I considered it a low blow for discovering Zeppelin, which he perfected.

I was the record collector and he was the guy that could listen to an album a 100 times.

We both discovered Thin Lizzy together, which was nice. He still does a mean Cowboy Song better than me.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Feb 2009, 05:47

My brother was into Lord of the Rings and all things academic. He did have a clean, virtually untouched copy of The Beatles: An Illustrated Record which I always figured I deserved to take possession of, since I had worn my copy out and written all over it. Besides that, he didn't have too much interest in popular music. Beethoven was more his thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 20 Feb 2009, 09:23

My brother and I are the two biggest music lovers (and players) in the family. He's a good few years older than me so I always looked up to him. I didn't really catch onto the music he was loving at the time, I think I made my own way, but when I was a lot younger in a way I was proud of my brothers musical tastes, it went a bit beyond the usual music I'd hear about in school. Though thinking back now it wasn't so adventurous.

These days we'd have very different musical tastes - he likes world music, classical, probably club music too.Listening to old music from the 60s/70s etc would seem alien to him. There's a meeting of minds on a few artists but sometimes I feel like he loses interest if I admit liking the same thing. Almost as if its showing weakness to admit a similiarity. Maybe I'm just overanalysing, but he's a huge Waits fan and he'd love to see Tom live. When I told him I'd gone to see Waits the week before he acted like he didn't care. That surprised me.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 20 Feb 2009, 17:49

My brother and I were at the Clash/Who show at Shea Stadium, that was recorded for the Live At Shea Clash LP from last year. I got my brother a copy and he claims that it's his favorite present from this Christmas. It might be his first Clash album.
the Eagles suck.

Return to “Yakety Yak”