RIP Snooks Eaglin

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

RIP Snooks Eaglin

Postby Muskrat » 18 Feb 2009, 23:32

New Orleans guitarist Snooks Eaglin dies at 72
Posted by Keith Spera, Music writer, The Times-Picayune February 18, 2009 2:30PM

[youtube]kGBKy5iMRBw&NR=1[/youtube]

Snooks Eaglin, the idiosyncratic New Orleans rhythm & blues guitarist known for his fleet-fingered dexterity and boundless repertoire, died Wednesday afternoon. He was 72.

"He was the most New Orleans of all the New Orleans acts that are still living," said Mid-City Lanes owner John Blancher.

Even in a city and musical community known for eccentric characters, Mr. Eaglin stood out. Extremely private, he lived with his family in St. Rose. For many years, he refused to perform on Friday nights, reportedly because of religious reasons.

The digits on Mr. Eaglin's right hand flailed at seemingly impossible angles as he finger-picked and strummed a guitar's strings. A set by the so-called "Human Jukebox" could range from Beethoven's "Fur Elise" to Bad Company's "Ready for Love."

He thrived on feedback from onlookers, gleefully took requests and challenged his musicians to keep up. Utterly unselfconscious, he would render fellow guitarists slack-jawed with a blistering run, then announce from the stage that he needed to use the bathroom.

Mr. Eaglin was born Fird Eaglin Jr. in 1937. As an infant, he was diagnosed with glaucoma and a brain tumor, which robbed him of his sight. He earned his "Snooks" nickname after his mischievous behavior recalled a radio character named Baby Snooks.

Given a guitar at age 5 by his father, he learned to pick along with songs on the radio. He attended the Louisiana School for the Blind in Baton Rouge with pianist Henry Butler. By 14, he had dropped out to work full-time as a musician.

His first steady job was with the Flamingos, a popular seven-piece rhythm & blues band that also included a young Allen Toussaint on piano. Post-Flamingos, Mr. Eaglin briefly billed himself as Lil' Ray Charles. In the late 1950s, he performed on street corners and recorded two acoustic albums for a folk label. His studio work included the guitar parts on Sugarboy Crawford's "Jockamo."

In the early 1960s, Mr. Eaglin released a handful of singles for Imperial Records under the name "Ford" Eaglin. He logged three years in the house band at the Playboy Club off Bourbon Street.

After the British Invasion decimated the market for New Orleans rhythm & blues, he semi-retired. The launch of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 1970 brought with it fresh opportunity.

Mr. Eaglin performed with Professor Longhair during the pianist's "comeback" gigs. He also contributed to Longhair's landmark "New Orleans House Party" album and the Wild Magnolias' early recordings.

In 1987, Mr. Eaglin released "Baby, You Can Get Your Gun!," his first formal, full-length album on Black Top Records. Several more well-received albums on Black Top further heightened his profile.

His annual appearances at Jazz Fest were hugely popular. In addition to legions of local fans, Mr. Eaglin's admirers included prominent musicians from around the globe.

It was Robert Plant, in fact, who first made Blancher aware of Mr. Eaglin.

In 1990, not long after he took over the Mid-City Lanes, Blancher received a call from Plant. Following a New Orleans concert, Plant wanted to throw an after-party at the bowling alley. He asked Blancher to book Mr. Eaglin; years early, Mr. Eaglin had performed at a party in New Orleans for Plant's former band, Led Zeppelin.

The party didn't happen, but the Mid-City Lanes became Mr. Eaglin's preferred venue. He played as frequently as once a month.

"He's an irreplaceable guy," Blancher said. "More celebrities came to see Snooks than anyone. His reputation was as big as anyone's in New Orleans. And he wouldn't travel, so if you wanted to see Snooks you had to come to Rock 'n Bowl."

During the 2000 Jazz Fest, Bonnie Raitt showed up at the Mid-City Lanes to hear Mr. Eaglin. He exclaimed from the stage, "Listen to this, Bonnie! You gonna learn something tonight, girl!" She later lent a hand by replacing a broken string on his guitar.

Blancher would often pick up Mr. Eaglin in St. Rose and drive him to and from shows at the Rock 'n Bowl. Along the way Mr. Eaglin regaled him with stories.

Among the most infamous is the time Mr. Eaglin drove the Flamingos home following a Saturday night gig in Donaldsonville. The musicians were so intoxicated that they decided their blind guitarist was the most qualified driver.

Mr. Eaglin claimed he navigated the curves of the road from memory. The crunch of gravel under the tires warned him when the '49 Studebaker strayed onto the shoulder. The story concludes with Mr. Eaglin pulling up to his house early Sunday morning and his mother suggesting the musicians proceed directly to church.

Mr. Eaglin met his future wife, Doretha "Dee" Eaglin, at a Flamingos gig on Galvez Street around 1959. She became his constant companion and confidant. In recent years they were rarely apart. Dee would sit nearby as her husband performed.

Blancher was among the few music industry figures that Mr. Eaglin allowed to visit his house. But even he was unaware of the guitarist's deteriorating health. Blancher learned in January that Mr. Eaglin had been battling prostate cancer.

Mr. Eaglin last performed at the Mid-City Lanes in July. Blancher spoke to him last week about booking a show in March. "He said, 'I'm going to wait until Jazz Fest. I'm not going to do any gigs until then,'" Blancher said. "I was surprised by that."

Mr. Eaglin apparently checked into a hospital last week with high blood pressure, then was released. He returned to Ochsner Medical Center on Tuesday, and went into cardiac arrest

Blancher recalled that Mr. Eaglin often said his mother took care of him until Dee took over.

Mr. Eaglin died on his mother's birthday.

Funeral arrangements are pending.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: RIP Snooks Eaglin

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Feb 2009, 00:57

That's a drag! But I'm a little surprised he was only 72.
I saw him, I don't know, ten years ago? With George Porter, too. Glad I did!
He was great. Hugely entertaining, and very funky.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 19 Feb 2009, 01:13

Wow spooky, I nearly spun some Snooks shit on the show tonight.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

TG

Postby TG » 19 Feb 2009, 06:09

Muskrat wrote:[

Mr. Eaglin performed with Professor Longhair during the pianist's "comeback" gigs. He also contributed to Longhair's landmark "New Orleans House Party" album and the Wild Magnolias' early recordings.

His playing on Fess' record is something quite special. He manages to assert/insert himself into the piano heavy mix in a way that is unobtrusive and yet still remains an integral part of the whole. It can't have been easy to find room in Longhair's mix to shine. He does so in a way that really makes the sessions swing. It's one of the best of Longhair's records from his comeback period.

RIP Snooks
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Feb 2009, 06:22

One of my guitar teaches knew him pretty well. He was the first store manager of Arhoolie and taught me some Snooks licks. They're different.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

greenwichpaul

Postby greenwichpaul » 19 Feb 2009, 07:49

I only hear recently that RObert Ward died. Two of America's best post war guitarists, gone. Both of them with far less recorded work than there should have been, but what there is is amazing.

He had the voice of an angel, like a Ray Charles but dreamier and gentle. He was a James Booker of the guitar, technically brilliant, supremely soulful. Unambitious, which is why few will mourn his passing as much as I will.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Feb 2009, 15:39

I discovered Snooks on a blues compilation back in the 70s. It was "only" an interpretation of Malaguena but for some reason I felt really drawn to him and that number. It was my favorite song on the whole album. I was always on the lookout for his music but it wasn't easy to find. I finally found a complete album by him and now it seems to have disappeared from my collection. :( I hope it's just misfiled. A very unique guitarist/artist.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 19 Feb 2009, 15:48

Muskrat wrote:Along the way Mr. Eaglin regaled him with stories.

Among the most infamous is the time Mr. Eaglin drove the Flamingos home following a Saturday night gig in Donaldsonville. The musicians were so intoxicated that they decided their blind guitarist was the most qualified driver.

Mr. Eaglin claimed he navigated the curves of the road from memory. The crunch of gravel under the tires warned him when the '49 Studebaker strayed onto the shoulder. The story concludes with Mr. Eaglin pulling up to his house early Sunday morning and his mother suggesting the musicians proceed directly to church.

Priceless.

Rest In Peace Snooks.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 19 Feb 2009, 17:37

Very sad news. Been a fan since I was alerted to him by a very helpful guy in Dobell's (Charing Cross Road). I'd made one of my periodic hitches up to London and was discussing the blues I'd heard & liked - not a lot in '76, aged 17 & he was playing me music he thought would appeal. From the first few bars of Blues From New Orleans Vol. 2 I was smitten - great guitar & vocal. Took a long time to track down Vol. 1, picked up the Down Yonder set in '78 and then nothing more for years. When Black Top started putting his music out again he seemed to have increased his powers - Baby, You Can Get Your Gun was my album of the year in '87. He could play virtually any style and make it his own.

Always thought it was unlikely that I'd hear him in the flesh, now that's definitely gone. For me, up there with Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi John Hurt & Blind Blake. One of the greats.

greenwichpaul

Postby greenwichpaul » 19 Feb 2009, 19:03

Dr John, speaking a couple years ago:

"I love Snooks. He played so good ever since I knowed him. We was on the road together years ago, we were talking about that when we were doing the record, how long it was since we toured. We did gigs together but we never toured in a long time, and we haven’t played on a session together whatever but once... and we're what the fuck we can’t even remember what it was. I remember when Allen Toussaint played piano in his band, the greatest band, the Flamingoes, in the 50s. They didn’t have a bass player, but they didn’t miss it. Between Allen playing bass notes on the piano and Snooks playing bass notes on the guitar it was just hip.

"I always figure Snook's brain must be configured different to anybody else’s, cos he can play like three things at once. He’s slick. My favourite record he did tho was the early Dave Bartholomew thing, he cut a Pee Wee Crayton song, Yours Truly - it might not have been a hit nowhere else, but in South Louisiana it was a smash! I mean Pee Wee Crayton was popular then, but when Snooks cut that song, it was just like.. everybody had to have it.

"They say Snooks is famous in New Orleans,not outside. But even in New Orleans he doesnt get the right credit."

Return to “Yakety Yak”