Re: SYNCH LISTENS - 'No Other' 12:50 GMT

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2009, 01:33

Nice closing coda though.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Feb 2009, 01:34

I love the coda.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Feb 2009, 01:34

Yeah, the wah-wah makes this track work, particularly in the build towards the final minute.

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 08 Feb 2009, 01:34

Fin.
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 08 Feb 2009, 01:35

It really is an odd album isn't it ? No wonder it died a commercial death at the time. It's like it's trying to be conventional, but chuck in all this weird stuff without realising.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Feb 2009, 01:36

Nice. I enjoyed that album far more than ever before, and I may yet take it to my bosom.

Had the fecking thing for 16 years, you know - actually, I had a vinyl copy with poster I played once in the 80's and punted to a collector.

22 years. Sigh.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 08 Feb 2009, 01:37

Well, that was interesting. I wasn't very familiar with the Gene Clark, but I really liked a lot of it. I'm importing tracks 1-5 and 8 for sure.

Parachute, as always, remains a longtime favorite.

Thanks folks.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2009, 01:37

Its a strange album really. Very dense and intense but oddly fragmented as well.
I did actually enjoy listening to it, but I do still feel it is infuriatingly patchy in terms of the quality of the songs..and Gene's heartfelt deliver almost manages to hide this, but not quite. Parts of the album are great though.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Feb 2009, 01:37

Well, that was an interesting diversion. The album was a definite mixed bag - it was better when the arrangements were more expansive, but an 8-song album cannot really afford any weak songs, and this had at least two clunkers.

Pretty Things was great though!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Feb 2009, 01:37

Magilla wrote:It really is an odd album isn't it ? No wonder it died a commercial death at the time. It's like it's trying to be conventional, but chuck in all this weird stuff without realising.

I think it's the oddness that appeals to me - it's just a fascinating record. It blew me away the very first time I heard it, and I still love the way that when I play it, I feel like I'm really getting inside the songs rather than just "hearing" them.
I suppose it's one of those records that is, in a sense, improved by its flaws - it just wouldn't work were it all clean and perfect.

Anyway I've enjoyed all this tonight, but now I'm off to bed. I will field any further questions about the intricate details of my love for No Other at some point tomorrow. I do feel that there's plenty more to be talked about on the subject - it's an album I often think of as a whole rather than a collection of songs and details.
Last edited by Penk! on 08 Feb 2009, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist

Re: SYNCH LISTENS - 'Parachute' and 'No Other' FINISHED

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2009, 01:41

Have we ever done "I Just Can't Remember My Name" ?

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 08 Feb 2009, 01:42

Magilla wrote:It really is an odd album isn't it ? No wonder it died a commercial death at the time. It's like it's trying to be conventional, but chuck in all this weird stuff without realising.

Yeah, I was surprised that it was dismissed as being bloated and pretentious by critics at the time. I mean, it's not as straightforward as the Byrds and some tracks do meander a bit, but I quite enjoyed it. Why do you reckon it was panned so badly at the time? To my untrained ear, in parts it had a familiar late-Byrds sound to it (mind you, it has been a while since I've listened to any Byrds so I may be relying on hazy memory here).

Maybe, as we say, it was a little too odd for people at the time. I wonder what listeners made of it at the time.
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2009, 01:45

Heilan Coo wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised that it was dismissed as being bloated and pretentious by critics at the time. I mean, it's not as straightforward as the Byrds and some tracks do meander a bit, but I quite enjoyed it. Why do you reckon it was panned so badly at the time? To my untrained ear, in parts it had a familiar late-Byrds sound to it (mind you, it has been a while since I've listened to any Byrds so I may be relying on hazy memory here).

Maybe, as we say, it was a little too odd for people at the time. I wonder what listeners made of it at the time.

I think I remember reading it was also one of the most expensive albums made back then. I don't know quite what made it so expensive. There's a lot of musicians on there obviously..but that wasn't unusual for the time.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Feb 2009, 01:46

it's worth noting that this record was done in 1974 and has a lot of the same musicians on it as Walls and Bridges- there's definitely some signature Jesse Ed Davis-isms on it.

Fortunately Gene left off the sax.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 08 Feb 2009, 01:47

Dr Modernist wrote:Have we ever done "I Just Can't Remember My Name" ?

Balboa posted a list before of all the ones done before but I can't find that...

(Do you mean "If I Could Only Remember My Name..." - David Crosby?)

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 08 Feb 2009, 01:48

Heilan Coo wrote:

Well, I was in my teens when it came out. I remember nothing much about it at the time. It sure wasn't a hit at all in any way.

The 16-year-old Feeb certainly dismissed it as some sub-Eagles/Poco curio.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2009, 01:51

Kenji wrote:

Balboa posted a list before of all the ones done before but I can't find that...

Yeah I do mean that..sorry it's late here! :lol:
That would be a really good one to do. I think they've got XO coming after this, but I might suggest it after that in a few weeks.

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 08 Feb 2009, 01:53

Dr Modernist wrote:
Kenji wrote:

Yeah I do mean that..sorry it's late here! :lol:
That would be a really good one to do. I think they've got XO coming after this, but I might suggest it after that in a few weeks.

That's okay G.

Crosby probably can't remember it either!

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 08 Feb 2009, 04:33

:oops:
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Feb 2009, 04:34

Go to bed, man.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”