Sandy Denny - "Not famous enough"

Do talk back
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Sandy Denny - "Not famous enough"

Postby Corporate whore » 06 Feb 2009, 09:15

(Stolen from a different web site)

"Some of you may have heard rumours of a forthcoming TV series on British women musicians. Kate Bush, Dusty Springfield, Marianne Faithfull, Amy Winehouse and (so we thought) Sandy Denny.
Its being reported that Sandy has now been dropped from the series, on the grounds that she’s “not famous enough” and viewers of BBC1 (where the series will air) have “never heard of her”.

It’s a shame, whichever way you look at it, as filming had already begun on the Sandy programme and this would have been a unique opportunity to place her in rightful company whilst bringing her to the widest audience."

This appears to be true.

Still, as long as we get the groundbreaking music of Amy Winehouse, who cares eh?

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Sandy Denny - "Not famous enough"

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2009, 09:16

Fucking idiots.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 06 Feb 2009, 09:26

Sadly, it's probably true that she isn't famous enough. This is, after all, a BBC1 series, and frankly it's unusual for that channel to be doing any serious music programming (unless it involves Andrew Lloyd-Webber and lucrative phone-in votes). They do mainstream shows that chase ratings on that channel. Winehouse sells lots of records, Denny hardly any, so do the math...

Of course, if this were a BBC2 or (more likely) a BBC4 project then someone like Sandy Denny becomes a more viable option in a series like this.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2009, 09:32

Yes Andrew sums it up pretty well. Let's face it if they're going for that audience, it would have been pretty superficial stuff.
Hopefully they'll make something on her for BBC4, the BBC are very good at that kind of thing, even if people like to knock 'em. The documentary they did on Nick Drake a few years ago is one of my favourite pieces of television ever.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 06 Feb 2009, 10:39

the masked man wrote:....so do the math...

Maths, please!
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 06 Feb 2009, 10:44

the masked man wrote:Sadly, it's probably true that she isn't famous enough. This is, after all, a BBC1 series, and frankly it's unusual for that channel to be doing any serious music programming (unless it involves Andrew Lloyd-Webber and lucrative phone-in votes). They do mainstream shows that chase ratings on that channel. Winehouse sells lots of records, Denny hardly any, so do the math...

So much for public service broadcasting!

Serriously though, I agree, although other then 'the Mars bar incident, I wonder what awareness of Marianne Faithful is amongst the great unwashed.

Of course, if this were a BBC2 or (more likely) a BBC4 project then someone like Sandy Denny becomes a more viable option in a series like this.

Thre is some hope of this, a lot of the programme is 'in the can' apparently.

greenwichpaul

Postby greenwichpaul » 06 Feb 2009, 10:51

Wankers.

But they're not alone.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2009, 13:18

Dr Modernist wrote:The documentary they did on Nick Drake a few years ago is one of my favourite pieces of television ever.

I've been trying to get hold of it - can you remember if it had a specific title, G?

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 06 Feb 2009, 14:37

I was showing something on my iPod to a couple of friends the other night (a soon come new album from Freedy Johnston, who they both know and like) and right before the Freedy album was Fotheringay. One of the guys said, "May I ask, what is that?" pointing to the midieval-esque cover art. I wasn't too surprised "Fotheringay" eluded their memory banks, but when I explained that it was the band Sandy Denny formed after leaving Fairport Convention I expected recognition of one or both names. I was greeted with blank stares and a return to work talk.

I'm surprised that a BBC series of this ilk would be entirely based on the popularity of the subjects.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 06 Feb 2009, 17:53

the masked man wrote:Winehouse sells lots of records, Denny hardly any,

It may be a side issue, but how many copies of Led Zeppelin IV get sold each year?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 06 Feb 2009, 19:41

On the plus side, at least there's no Annie Lennox. Regarding Denny, she is rathere revered, isn't she? Purity, clarity of voiCe etc, but that kind of voice does nothing for me, I'm afraid, but, to be dropped because she isn't famous enough? Not a great argument.

NMB

Postby NMB » 06 Feb 2009, 22:43

Sandy Denny would get a lot more famous if BBC1 did a TV programme about her. And then when she was famous they could repeat it.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Giselle62

Postby Giselle62 » 07 Feb 2009, 03:44

I don't want her to be famous enough --- let people find her --- like the treasure she is.
"You're in a desert. You got nothin' else to do. NAME THE FREAKIN' HORSE!" -- Rich Jeni

Return to “Yakety Yak”