what does BCB think of this?

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

what does BCB think of this?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Feb 2009, 21:52

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qC_kJPHoPI4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qC_kJPHoPI4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

chick draper

Re: what does BCB think of this?

Postby chick draper » 05 Feb 2009, 22:05

"Maggie" did not knock my socks off.

"Breaking Point" got a minor taint tingle going. Horn arrangement was nice, but could of been a notch tighter. Little Wilson Pickett flavor.
“...because all we wanted to do was play the crack-ball stuff, be heard, attack whatever conventions were around, and have a good time doing it. ”

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Feb 2009, 00:08

I had the opposite reaction. "Breaking Point" is good, but falls squarely into a sub-James Brown kinda thing. I eat that stuff up so its all fine by me, but there is a lot of it out there in the world.

"Maggie" on the other hand is a pretty deceptive little record. At first it seems like a fairly standard lightweight soul ballad - but the arrangement is really something. I like it.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 06 Feb 2009, 00:51

I enjoyed both sides. I'd never heard of the guy before, but that was quite good.

I thought "Maggie" had some real nice changes in it- it reminded me a bit of The Friends of Distinction's "Grazin' In The Grass" in terms of melody... and I'm a sucker for that type o thing.

I liked "Breaking Point" too. The vocal was topnotch testifying and that bass player really earns his bucks. Excellent get-up-off-your-ass stuff.

I'd be interested in picking up a Johnny Williams disc on the basis of these two numbers. I wonder if anything is available...
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 06 Feb 2009, 01:20

I did some legwork, and found that:

1) Johnny Williams' music is not very available. I saw no compilations with his songs on them. It seems that he maybe only made two records: "Maggie" b/w "Breaking Point" in 1968 and an earlier single "Woman" (which also had "Breaking Point" as the B-Side) in 1967.

2)The singles were released on the the Twilight/ TwiNight/ Daylight family of labels out of Chicago, who also released early records by Donny Hathaway, The New Colony Six and Syl Johnson. More info HERE.

3) A guy named Johnny Williams was also involved in the early Philly soul scene a couple of years later, and did some notable arranging and songwriting for acts that would later emerge under the Gamble/ Huff umbrella... but is he the same Johnny Williams? I don't know... :?
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Feb 2009, 18:13

Yeah, not bad at all, although I definitely preferred the first song. Nothing you haven't heard a million times before, but if that style of music floats your boat in a big way, then I see it could be a winner. I particularly liked the video filming the turntable: extra points for that.

Return to “Yakety Yak”