Fordlandia

Do talk back
dgs

Fordlandia

Postby dgs » 30 Jan 2009, 21:45

Must be the most exquisite album released last year.

In terms of composition and merging classical with modern technological instrumentation it stands out head and shoulders above anything else that I think I have heard. I have a feeling that in terms of concept albums it may actually be the greatest of all time. The orchestration is highly emotive and it takes the listener to places seldom achieved.

It may well be better than the IBM1401 album, which in itself was a magnificent piece of work.

I also cannot help but contrast fordlandia to the compositional work of Clint Mansell, esp. his soundtrack to ne Darren Aronofsky film Requiem for A Dream featuring the kronos quartet.

Exceptional stuff, and does anyone have any analogous suggestions for other titles to explore?
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Fordlandia

Postby yomptepi » 30 Jan 2009, 22:31

The review on Amazon says

this Icelandic-born modern classical musician composes some of the most beautiful and soul drenching works that I have ever heard. The saturation of emotion approaches even my limits, and my eyes swell up with tears, as the concrete humanity gets cleansed in the rain, out in the windows of my crawling train.

Sounds like it needs my attention.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Jan 2009, 22:37

Have you heard any of the other Johann Johannson-albums?

I haven't delved in yet but there were predecessors on IBM which I wanted to pick up on.

Reminded me in bits of Gavin Bryars' work.
Last edited by never/ever on 30 Jan 2009, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 30 Jan 2009, 22:37

It does, Yompi. And it's far better than Sigur Ros.

It's a classical work.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 30 Jan 2009, 23:00

I thought it was ok, but nothing special to be honest - it sounded nice enough, but faded pretty quickly. I like the 'IBM 1401' album as well.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

RcL

Postby RcL » 31 Jan 2009, 00:47

I like all of his stuff when I'm in the mood - his work does a lot of time on my iTunes late on, along with the vaguely similar Last Days, Max Richter, Helios and Brian McBride.

I liked the new one but not as much as the IBM record.

dgs

Postby dgs » 31 Jan 2009, 13:49

Never/Ever wrote:Have you heard any of the other Johann Johannson-albums?

I haven't delved in yet but there were predecessors on IBM which I wanted to pick up on.

Reminded me in bits of Gavin Bryars' work.

I have Dis and teh one that came between IBM and Fordlandia called Engelborn, but neither of these reach the beauty of the other two. Dis is much more electronica whilst Engelborn is much more orchestral, not that there is anything wrong with either of these but it is combination of the two that sets Fordlandia apart and slightly ahead of IBM for me.

I am tryog to get into Philip Jeck but it is quite hard.

Django

Postby Django » 31 Jan 2009, 14:06

I'm with Balboa, I thought it was pleasant enough, but fairly forgettable.

Spec

Postby Spec » 31 Jan 2009, 14:43

I think it is beautiful but a little underwhelming. It feels a little too samey whereas IBM offered more for me.

Max Richter is the most obvious similar artist. You might try Nemeth - Film and Jacaszek - Treny from last year (PM me if you need help).

dgs

Postby dgs » 01 Feb 2009, 19:05

specbebop wrote:I think it is beautiful but a little underwhelming. It feels a little too samey whereas IBM offered more for me.

Max Richter is the most obvious similar artist. You might try Nemeth - Film and Jacaszek - Treny from last year (PM me if you need help).

Good call on the max richter, just listening to the blue notebooks album and it is lovely. Any other titles to recommend?

RcL

Postby RcL » 02 Feb 2009, 04:21

dgs wrote:
specbebop wrote:I think it is beautiful but a little underwhelming. It feels a little too samey whereas IBM offered more for me.

Good call on the max richter, just listening to the blue notebooks album and it is lovely. Any other titles to recommend?

See my post above... Last Days, Helios, Brian McBride. I'd also say Swod, and if you are into more electronic / ambient ' post-rock stuff, go for Port Royal.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 02 Feb 2009, 09:40

It´s nice and majestic enough, but it´s also my least favourite album of his. Right after playing it yesterday, funnily enough, I played Engleborn, and I was convinced that thhis one is much, much better.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 02 Feb 2009, 09:46

yomptepi wrote:Sounds like it needs my attention.

Yomp, I am surprised at you. It was my outstanding favourite album last year and without doubt the most consistently played cd for a long time. I absolutely adored IBM but this is better. It's much more organic.

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 02 Feb 2009, 10:30

Most of his stuff is on Spotify. I think Englaborn is my favourite but they're all good.

dgs

Postby dgs » 02 Feb 2009, 11:32

RcL wrote:
dgs wrote:

See my post above... Last Days, Helios, Brian McBride. I'd also say Swod, and if you are into more electronic / ambient ' post-rock stuff, go for Port Royal.

Cheers Roddy, I have the Helios/Goldmund stuff and will check out the others. I am looking for more orchestral with added fx so do any of these specifically fit that bill? Narrow down the startig point.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 02 Feb 2009, 12:16

dgs wrote:
RcL wrote:See my post above... Last Days, Helios, Brian McBride. I'd also say Swod, and if you are into more electronic / ambient ' post-rock stuff, go for Port Royal.

Cheers Roddy, I have the Helios/Goldmund stuff and will check out the others. I am looking for more orchestral with added fx so do any of these specifically fit that bill? Narrow down the startig point.

I can sort you out with some Port Royal, Dave.
Just a penitent man

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 02 Feb 2009, 13:14

RcL wrote: ...Brian McBride...

Top shout. I've been floating in space to this one a lot recently. Prefer his solo stuff to SotL.

Return to “Yakety Yak”