Beatles Apple Rooftop Concert - BBC Radio 2, 27 January

Do talk back
Thesiger

Beatles Apple Rooftop Concert - BBC Radio 2, 27 January

Postby Thesiger » 27 Jan 2009, 11:14

Tonight Tuesday 27th at 10.30 - 11.30 pm BBC Radio 2

Radio 2 celebrates the 40th-anniversary of The Beatles final public appearance which took place on 30th January 1969 on the roof of the band’s Apple Corps London headquarters in Mayfair’s Savile Row in I Hope We Passed the Audition (Tuesday 27th, 10.30pm). The title of the programme quotes John Lennon at the event which followed tense rehearsals, with George Harrison allegedly feeling unappreciated and Yoko Ono speaking on a disgruntled Lennon’s behalf. The band nearly broke up, but months later recorded Abbey Road, and performances from the rooftop concert ended up on the Let It Be LP. Featuring input from Yoko Ono, director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, photographer Ethan Russell, engineer Alan Parsons, technician Dave Harries, and the policeman who followed orders to shut down the session.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00h3450
http://www.maccafan.net/Gallery/GetBack ... ooftop.htm
http://www.tenalps.com/news.php?id=897
Last edited by Thesiger on 27 Jan 2009, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Re: Beatles Apple Rooftop Concert - BBC Radio 2 27 February

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 27 Jan 2009, 11:28

Thesiger wrote:Tonight Tuesday 27th at 10.30 - 11.30 pm BBC Radio 2

Radio 2 celebrates the 40th-anniversary of The Beatles final public appearance which took place on 30th January 1969 on the roof of the band’s Apple Corps London headquarters in Mayfair’s Savile Row in I Hope We Passed the Audition (Tuesday 27th, 10.30pm). The title of the programme quotes John Lennon at the event which followed tense rehearsals, with George Harrison allegedly feeling unappreciated and Yoko Ono speaking on a disgruntled Lennon’s behalf. The band nearly broke up, but months later recorded Abbey Road, and performances from the rooftop concert ended up on the Let It Be LP. Featuring input from Yoko Ono, director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, photographer Ethan Russell, engineer Alan Parsons, technician Dave Harries, and the policeman who followed orders to shut down the session.

http://www.maccafan.net/Gallery/GetBack ... ooftop.htm
http://www.tenalps.com/news.php?id=897

If I had a time machine, that's the one concert I'd love to go back and see.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Jan 2009, 11:40

Wouldn't it be so frustrating though if you were down on the street and you knew the Beatles were up there, but they were all out of sight, making an echoey rumble 400 yards away.

All hindsight though, Im sure the crowd was much more blasé. Apparently they had to ask people off the street to come to the David Frost taping. :o

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 27 Jan 2009, 11:43

You might like to change the month in the thread title...

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 27 Jan 2009, 12:12

bhoywonder wrote:You might like to change the month in the thread title...

Er... Why? ;)

modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love

Re: Beatles Apple Rooftop Concert - BBC Radio 2, 27 January

Postby modharper » 27 Jan 2009, 12:46

BOOTLEG BEATLES' PLANS FOR ROOFTOP ANNIVERSARY GIG SCUPPERED BY RED TAPE
Plans by the Bootleg Beatles to repeat the Fab Four's legendary gig on top of the Apple Corps building in Savile Row back in 1969 have been scuppered after the local council made too many demands.

The Beatles' mini-gig on the Savile Row roof in January 1969 was their last live performance as a band, and was famously cut short by the Metropolitan Police. The most famous Beatles cover band hoped they could repeat the gig but without the risk of arrest by winning the approval of both the building's owners and the local council. OK! magazine and the Express newspapers were due to sponsor the event which would be held in aid of PeaceOneDay. All good, except, according to the band, Westminster Council started making a number of demands regarding the event which ultimately rendered the whole venture unviable.

Bootleg Beatle Neil Harrison (he does Lennon) told CMU: "It would have been fun to commemorate the day and promote Peace One Day and what harm could it really do anyhow? A handful of Londoners get some free lunchtime music to brighten their day in the true spirit of the sixties! And what do we get instead - spontaneity strangled again by red tape. Oh Boris, and we thought it was all gonna change!"

All of which means that if you want to catch the Bootleg Beatles in action you'll have to make it to one of these gig dates instead...

11 Mar: Croydon, Fairfield Halls
12 Mar: Southend, Cliffs Pavilion
13 Mar: Basingstoke, The Anvil
14 Mar: Cheltenham, Town Hall
15 Mar: Derby, Assembly Rooms
17 Mar: Grimsby, Grimsby Auditorium
18 Mar: Peterborough, Broadway Theatre
19 Mar: Stoke-on-Trent, Victoria Hall
20 Mar: Malvern, Forum Theatre
21 Mar: Halifax, Victoria Theatre
23 Mar: Crawley, The Hawthorne
24 Mar: Oxford, New Theatre
25 Mar: Reading, The Hexagon
26 Mar: Nothampton, Derngate
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 27 Jan 2009, 12:46

Thesiger wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:You might like to change the month in the thread title...

Er... Why? ;)

Hush now.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 27 Jan 2009, 15:23

It's been a while since I saw the Let It Be (pirate) DVD (with outtakes bonus disc). But remind me what role Yoko played in proceedings, if any. She's interviewed in the upcoming BBC show but I don't recall her being in evidence during the rooftop concert. Certainly, Paul made sure she was nowhere near a microphone. And John seems to have accepted that this part of the Beatles run out tape was to be a group effort. He did wear her coat, however.

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 27 Jan 2009, 15:33

Thesiger wrote:It's been a while since I saw the Let It Be (pirate) DVD (with outtakes bonus disc). But remind me what role Yoko played in proceedings, if any. She's interviewed in the upcoming BBC show but I don't recall her being in evidence during the rooftop concert. Certainly, Paul made sure she was nowhere near a microphone. And John seems to have accepted that this part of the Beatles run out tape was to be a group effort. He did wear her coat, however.

Yoko and Maureen Starkey watched the concert so technically she did take part as part of the very small audience who actually saw the gig rather than heard it. As the outtakes also prove she was a very large part of the sessions that made up the Get Back Project Ringo also wore Maureen's coat and Maureen can be heard cheering at the end and Macca says "Thanks Mo":D

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 27 Jan 2009, 15:43

...then after you say that bit about the audition the pair of you run forward and jump over the parapet...

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 27 Jan 2009, 22:30

Thanks for the heads up, Joe.

About to enjoy this on digital radio through my stereo.

edit: Well, that was great. A bit too lazy in parts, and oversimplified. And bone-headed - George says 'I grabbed Billy Preston in the Apple offices and brought him in to play piano...', and immediately you hear Paul playing piano on the intro to 'Let It Be'. Doh!

Yoko Ono was her usual insightful self - Macca was the charming Beatle, while John apparently provided the 'spiritual focus' of the group. I wonder why we don't hear her commenting on the dynamics of others groups she would have observed at such close quarters, such as the Rolling Stones, the various Plastic Ono Bands, and the small dark hairs surrounding her anus? I am sure she would be just as scintillating.

Oh, and it was interesting to hear how at the time she showed visitors the small, plastic smurf figure adorned with a tiny black wig and skewered with pins, as an example of how loathed she was by fans. It just shows it really is worth taking the trouble to post that sort of thing.

But the last quarter of an hour, when they get on the roof, and there is an interview Alan Parsons and the 21 year-old bobby who was ordered via a police phone in Picadilly to go and tell the Beatles to shut up... that was all magic.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 28 Jan 2009, 12:00

Available for six days on the 'Listen Again' facility:

If anyone does listen, can they post if there are any unreleased recordings used? I listened to that silly 'Fly On The Wall' disc from Let It Be...Naked, and they made extensive use of that - the early version of 'Jealous Guy' ('I'm Just A Child of Nature...') and 'All Things Must Pass', just snippets, really.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 31 Jan 2009, 20:00

It was a rather good programme, though Sharleen Spiteri didn't add much, if any, insight.

The best bits were the brooadcast extracts of the chat from the filmed footage at Twickenham Studios. Paul and John seriously suggesting they charter a ship and sail out to Tunisia to play a concert for a limited audience in a ruined Roman colosseum there. And George saying it was a crazy notion.

Then later, McCartney suggesting they find somewhere where they could set up their eqipment surreptitiously and "trespass" to perform a show. Paul invites them to imagine what it would be like as they were trying to finish their songs whilst the police were attempting to close them down. Many a true word spoken in jest!

Return to “Yakety Yak”